Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Teeth to Match the New Plastic Rest of Me

So, I am getting new teeth and I have some concerns hopefully you guys can weigh in on. I will get to the part where this relates to sleeve surgery later in the post, lol. If you have veneers or a full arch of crowns and don’t want to read this long post, please skip to the second to last paragraph and maybe give me your thoughts on why you picked the shade you did.

To be fair, I have teeth and they work fine, however I recently had two very new crowns in the front of my mouth fall out, so I decided to go to a new dentist who is hopefully a bit more competent than the last one. As it turns out, I am a grinder in the bedroom, and not the good kind either, the kind that apparently wore my teeth down to teeth that look like an 80 year old person in my early 30’s. I have stress fractures in all of my teeth to the point that the recommendation was made to replace several of them with crowns, and in the process redo the top row of my mouth, have invisalign, and then finish out a bridge in the back of my mouth after my teeth are straightened and replaced. My parents took me to the dentist when I was a kid and I never had any major issues, however thanks to the fact that I guess I have ground away all of my enamel, fixing everything at once so the finished version actually works together instead of doing it in piecemeal seemed like a good idea. The fact that my bottom teeth are a little crooked didn’t really bother me and I didn’t even notice that my upper teeth were not the “u” shape they were supposed to be, however given I had a small luxury car in plastics done about 18 months ago, I figured why not make my head match the rest of me, or at least my teeth.

Also, here’s the part that relates to our surgery, I have apparently wicked issues along the gum line that the doctor asked me if I had gastric reflux. I don’t, however I spent year 1-2.5 barfing my guts out a few times a week (sometimes a few times a day) because my sleeve hated food. I have since figured out that it tolerates crackers and chicken, but it took awhile to not be yakking all the time. As it turns out, that little bit of gastric Fluid in the form of barf, was enough to kill my teeth. My previous x-rays and images from before sleeve surgery had none of the issues that they have now, which means in less than 18 months of puking, I ruined the bases of my teeth. So, for anyone who has barfing issues or has issues with bulimia, that can be an outcome…although if you brush your teeth after you puke, that apparently minimizes most of the damage.

Moving on…I can’t decide on a color. Dental work is ungodly expensive and if I am paying what this is going to cost, I want brilliant, gleaming, Chiclet teeth. Unfortunately, there isn’t a whole lot of help online about color shade results. So, has anyone had veneers or crowns where you chose between either Bl1 or Bl2 or 0M1 or 0.5M1? Much as I want insanely white teeth, I would rather not totally glow in the dark, however I have read several reviews where people were bummed that they didn’t go for the whitest shade possible. If it helps, I am really pale, not albino or red-haired Irish pale, but I’m a distant cousin to Casper, so I can go with a really white shade, I just can’t decide which.

So…I am getting new teeth. I got new boobs and a new butt and new arms and a new stomach, so why not get new teeth, right? I want to wear bright red lipstick and smile widely without wondering if people are thinking that my teeth are a little yellow. Before the sleeve, I would never have bothered spending this much for a cosmetic procedure because my thought process was that until I was thin, I could spend money on the gym and everything else was just lipstick on a pig. I feel thankful everyday that the sleeve has let me finally live a life that I don’t feel like my worth is entirely eliminated by my size. Hopefully this time in two weeks I will have a gleaming white smile and be complaining about how Invisalign hurts my mouth, lol.

I have a couple of bridges and crowns and I got the whitest shade possible. In my case, what we did was whiten my natural teeth over a few months to see how white they would get. Once that was done they happened to match to the whitest shade. I think it was B1 but don't remember. I do remember being very impressed with myself for matching the whitest shade LOL.

So now I just periodically use the whitening trays (once every couple of months?) to spruce up my "natural teeth" and keep them at the same shade as the fakes.

Also I'm super pale with dark, almost black hair.

@@AvaFern

My natural teeth are A1 thanks to using Sonicare for a over a decade, I had to get some dental work done recently and even the dentist was surprised at how white my teeth are.

I say go as white as you want. People don't smoke anymore and most healthy people do have really white teeth. Like I said my teeth are super white even though I drink coffee.

Veneers are so expensive, don't do a half measure. Go for the shine, go for the gleam. Blind people, who cares. I'm a Dior 063 and my teeth gleam, so it doesn't matter what color you are. Go all the way white as possible. When you wear Ruby Woo with your new teeth, the wow factor will be off the chart.

Nothing looks better than Ruby Woo and white teeth!

I can't help you out with the teeth girl but I admire you immensely for having all the work done on your good self.

Well done for putting yourself first. Also I love that line " lipstick on a pig" and I shall do my best to use it during conversation today!

I spent 10 grand to get my uppers done...for that money, don't hold back!

I work in the dental field for over 35years. My only concern was that you never mention a night guard, or a bite plane to wear to protect these teeth. If you wore these teeth down you must protect the new ones. Shade 010 is lighter than even B1. If your that pale you could wear that shade. Whiten up your natural teeth first while your wearing invislign. Always protect your veneers or crowns while having surgery by always telling the hospital about the fact you have them. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using the BariatricPal App

@@higher

I would be impressed with myself too if I had that teeth that matched that shade! I'm more toward the top 1/3 of whiteness, which works out to be slightly yellow, lol. The plan is to whiten my bottom teeth so they match the top fake ones, which I'm dreading because I have sensitive teeth. I assured the dentist though that I would happily sit in the chair and cry until the procedure was over- beauty is painful, lol.

@@OutsideMatchInside

I think you're right-I'm really leaning toward being super white and it's my smile, lol, so my call right? I had to look up what Dior 063 was and hello awesome lipstick color! I thought I had at least one red lipstick but when I went to find it last night the closest I had was a hot pink that I got as part of a promotional pack for my night cream. The last time I considered wearing red lipstick was probably about 8 years ago and I tried several colors and none of them looked good with my teeth. I'm going to have to get dressed and go out somewhere when my teeth are finished just so I can wear brilliant bright red lipstick!

@@B-52

For the amount of money it costs to have your teeth done, going all the way white seems like a good plan to me! I was like, for what this is costing, I don't want natural white, I want bright, gleaming, brilliant white...just like the color the new car might be that I could buy with the money my teeth are costing, lol.

@@Deborah Bennett

Thank-you for pointing out the nightguard! That is also part of the treatment plan, I just forgot to mention it. My treatment plan just for the top teeth is like 3 pages long, but somewhere on there is a nightguard. I would be very upset if I broke my brand new teeth, lol. Apparently they also want me to wear flouride trays at night? And when invisalign is done a retainer? I'm like...I'm going to choke to death in my sleep with all that stuff in my mouth.

Unfortunately, because the two crowns I have in the front are "unstable" the dentist and I were both concerned they would pop out of my mouth again if I did the invisalign first, so the current plan is to do the top 10 crowns and Zoom the bottom to match the top, then use invisalign to even everything out. Then after invisalign is done, then we will put two bridges in the back of my mouth where I had molars pulled. Like you, he said the best plan would be to do invisalign first, but the chance that my crowns fail between now and when the straightening process is finished is high and I'm afraid of being in a meeting and having my tooth fall out.

You also make a good point about telling surgeons about dental work. Hopefully they aren't resting the laryngoscope on my teeth to intubate, but they might be even more motivated to not do that if they know how much those front teeth cost to replace, haha.

I think the 010 color is closest to the Bl1 and 0M1 I was looking at. I've read online a lot more people being bummed that they didn't go light enough than that they ended up with teeth that were too bright. I wonder if the dentist can do half my temporaries in the brightest shade and half in the second brightest so I can have a better idea...

@@OutsideMatchInside

I think you're right-I'm really leaning toward being super white and it's my smile, lol, so my call right? I had to look up what Dior 063 was and hello awesome lipstick color! I thought I had at least one red lipstick but when I went to find it last night the closest I had was a hot pink that I got as part of a promotional pack for my night cream. The last time I considered wearing red lipstick was probably about 8 years ago and I tried several colors and none of them looked good with my teeth. I'm going to have to get dressed and go out somewhere when my teeth are finished just so I can wear brilliant bright red lipstick!

I wear to the grocery store. My grandmother never left the house without lipstick on and I can only hope to be as great as woman as her.

Ruby woo from Mac is flat matte, so you can really wear it every day if you want.

@@OutsideMatchInside

Ooh thanks for the Mac tip. I was at the grocery store today and I bought red lipstick...ok I bought two red and one really bright pink coral, lol. I didn't want to be patient and wait until I could go to the mall. I tried them on when I got home, and aside from the fact that I need a little practice with bright red lipstick and maybe lip liner, the finalized version reminded me of why I'm getting my teeth done, lol.

A lot of brands make a clear wax lip liner now so you don't have to worry about feathering or going out of the lines. I think the Too Faced one is called Lip Fence. It's amazing product. Especially for all the creamy matte styles that are out these days.

I'm a Ruby Woo girl too. It has that gorgeous blue undertone that works so well.