Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight gain, looking for meaningful discussion/mutual support not lectures!

@@Oak Park Lorena

All I am going to say is at least you live in a better neighborhood than 98% of America. I would love to live in Oak Park.

Okay that isn't all I am going to say...

Running is hard on your body. Get a bike and ride it.

Dr Matthew Weiner talks about not doing exercises that are prone to injuries because, if you are injured and unable to workout, you are worse off than doing moderate exercise the whole time, like walking. I will try to find the video.

So maybe chill on the running and find something that is easier on your body like walking, biking or swimming, so you can always workout.

Found the video...

https://youtu.be/YxKUssyS8F0?t=7m09s

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

Have you tried getting in the Water? Water aerobics, lap swimming, or even water jogging/running is much easier on the joints and can give you a great workout.

I hope you don't take this brief post as "preaching."

Have you also considered:

* Alcoholics Anonymous?

* Therapy?

If not, what are your thoughts about these resources?

Hmm, well, I'm not sure why you assume that someone who drinks is an alcoholic. I'm fairly certain and confident that I am not, so AA would not really be much help. As for therapy, sure, I've been in therapy my entire adult life. I'm a big fan of therapy, but again, as I said in my OP, I know what I should do, but doing it is tough, I'm looking for others in the same boat, not for people who want to pathologize what is simply the human experience!

I sincerely wish you the very best results in addressing your regain.

I'm truly sorry if my questions offended you.

I certainly don't think everyone who drinks is an alcoholic.

I certainly don't know if you are an alcoholic.

You said you're taking in more calories daily via beer than through the food you eat and that you are having a hard time cutting out the beer. You offered as context your struggles with depression after a physical injury. And since transfer addictions are real dangers for WLS patients post-op, I asked whether you thought AA or therapy could be helpful.

You sound very determined to regain your health and to lose the weight you've gained. Again, I wish for you great success in achieving your goals.

It might be even worth it to explore OA (OA.org). Many of us use food the way Alcoholic's use alcohol.

Hi, I am in the same boat as you. Well kind of. I relized a couple of months ago I was gaining a bunch of wait after my wedding in August. I went back to my dietican and did good for a little while. Well we cant buy a lot of fruits and veggies right now they are just to expensive. I have gained between 40 and 50 lbs since august. None of my clothes fit, i had given my all my big clothes away so now I wear only sweatpants or yoga pants. My husband is bigger so I am now wearing all his clothes to try and just get by. Now that I am gaining, I am getting depressed which leads to more eating. I have a gym membership but never use it. I actually came on here to see if I could find so support and motivation to get going and lose the weight. I want to try spinning or cycling but I really don't know what I am doing at the gym so I think that is part of it also. Good luck I hope you get your weight off!

I guess I need to make this clear, the surgery I had had nothing at all to do with the fact that I run, I have had a myriad of foot troubles since childhood including a congenital deformity that has caused me no end of misery. When I was pre and post surgery, I really couldn't do anything, walking, biking, swimming, yoga, pilates, anything, so that is a lof of what contributed to my weight gain. Running seems to get such a bad rap. I love running for a host of reasons, it's not just that it is one of the best ways to burn calories, but it requires no special equipment, you can do it pretty much anywhere or any time you'd like and it really does let you just zone out/get into the zone (your choice!) in a way that not many other things do. I think people criticize running as "injury inducing" out of habit, I actually think that my years of running helped me avoid injuries because it is a fantastic way to strengthen not only big muscles like quads, but all those little muscles in an around the ankles. Running has never been my only form of exercise, but it is one of my favorite forms. Yeah, I have a bike, but I live in a very high density/high traffic area so riding it is not that much fun, you spend the whole time worrying about cars. The trails near Chicago are very dangerous for women, unfortunately and even so, you'd have to pack your bike onto the car and drive some distance to get to one. I'm back to running again and to yoga and to pilates and to doing my usual 5 miles a day of walking (I'm a fanatical fitbit tracker!). The point of my post was to say how hard it is to start again, especially with the additional pounds, but I appreciate your response nonetheless!

@@Oak Park Lorena

All I am going to say is at least you live in a better neighborhood than 98% of America. I would love to live in Oak Park.

Okay that isn't all I am going to say...

Running is hard on your body. Get a bike and ride it.

Dr Matthew Weiner talks about not doing exercises that are prone to injuries because, if you are injured and unable to workout, you are worse off than doing moderate exercise the whole time, like walking. I will try to find the video.

So maybe chill on the running and find something that is easier on your body like walking, biking or swimming, so you can always workout.

Found the video...

https://youtu.be/Y

@@Tonna Marie Chikukwa

Have you tried going to the farmers market for veggies? Frozen fish is cheap at Walmart. You don't have to workout in a gym to lose weight.

Track all of your calories, and walk.

@@Tonna Marie Chikukwa

Have you tried going to the farmers market for veggies? Frozen fish is cheap at Walmart. You don't have to workout in a gym to lose weight.

@@OutsideMatchInside I have not tried the farmers market, we try to do bountiful baskets if we can, I am going to try and start doing the Protein shakes again because I snack so much so I am hoping that will kind of deter that. I am also going to try and start logging my food again so hoping I will take in less food and hope that my stomach will shrink again

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using the BariatricPal App

@@Oak Park Lorena

Yeah I have to load my bike up and go to trails. I have to use trails because it is too hilly around here to be safe to ride, too many blind spots, and cars also. So yeah I get how annoying it is to load the bike up. I still think I would rather ride my bike than run in the city. I feel like running I would get snatched by someone.

If running was working for you, and you can go back to it, it is just a matter of cutting out the liquid calories until you can run enough to balance them out.

Hi, I am in the same boat as you. Well kind of. I relized a couple of months ago I was gaining a bunch of wait after my wedding in August. I went back to my dietican and did good for a little while. Well we cant buy a lot of fruits and veggies right now they are just to expensive. I have gained between 40 and 50 lbs since august. None of my clothes fit, i had given my all my big clothes away so now I wear only sweatpants or yoga pants. My husband is bigger so I am now wearing all his clothes to try and just get by. Now that I am gaining, I am getting depressed which leads to more eating. I have a gym membership but never use it. I actually came on here to see if I could find so support and motivation to get going and lose the weight. I want to try spinning or cycling but I really don't know what I am doing at the gym so I think that is part of it also. Good luck I hope you get your weight off!

Hello, thanks for the message and I'm sorry to hear that you are in the same boat! It is kind of crazy how fast the weight can come back on. There's no question that formerly overweight people will always have to be vigilant with the calories much more so than their same weight counterparts who have never been heavy. Getting married is a huge life change. I know that for me when I married my now ex husband, we were not great influences on one another. Part of our "nesting" was cooking and eating a lot and not working out much! As far as your comments about the gym/cycling/spinning, this is what I can offer you: start small. Every gym has stationary bikes, I would suggest starting with that. Most of them are programmable, you can push yourself as much as you're ready to. Spinning is a great way to burn a huge number of calories, the classes are usually fun because there's good music and there's definitely a sense of group commradarie, BUT, I did spinning when I was in very good shape and it is very challenging. I don't think that's a good place to start if you haven't been working out much for some time. Once you've gotten to the point where you can do a good work out on the stationary bike, you might even just try cycling on a spin bike on your own. They are more like racing bikes in terms of the seat and the pedals. Most gyms have one or two mixed in with the other bikes or you might even be able to go into the spin room when there's no class. And I totally hear you on the cost of food! I started my own business and have to really watch the expenditures these days. I eat a lot of canned tuna and sardines!

@@Tonna Marie Chikukwa

If you do shakes for a few days, you will definitely feel an increase in your restriction.

If you are snacking and grazing you can sneak so many calories in like that. This is where veggies would help, if you were snacking on veggies, they basically have no calories.

Hello, thanks for the message and I'm sorry to hear that you are in the same boat! It is kind of crazy how fast the weight can come back on. There's no question that formerly overweight people will always have to be vigilant with the calories much more so than their same weight counterparts who have never been heavy. Getting married is a huge life change. I know that for me when I married my now ex husband, we were not great influences on one another. Part of our "nesting" was cooking and eating a lot and not working out much! As far as your comments about the gym/cycling/spinning, this is what I can offer you: start small. Every gym has stationary bikes, I would suggest starting with that. Most of them are programmable, you can push yourself as much as you're ready to. Spinning is a great way to burn a huge number of calories, the classes are usually fun because there's good music and there's definitely a sense of group commradarie, BUT, I did spinning when I was in very good shape and it is very challenging. I don't think that's a good place to start if you haven't been working out much for some time. Once you've gotten to the point where you can do a good work out on the stationary bike, you might even just try cycling on a spin bike on your own. They are more like racing bikes in terms of the seat and the pedals. Most gyms have one or two mixed in with the other bikes or you might even be able to go into the spin room when there's no class. And I totally hear you on the cost of food! I started my own business and have to really watch the expenditures these days. I eat a lot of canned tuna and sardines!
Thank you for the suggestion on the bike, I really have no idea then like I said I try something like spinning get discouraged and then it starts all over again. You are so right that it comes back so much faster for us then other people that are the same weight but not "overweight" like we are or have been, it's very frustrating. I get very discouraged when I know I need to wat healthy but u can't because it's so expensive, I can't do sardine but tuna might be the ml next investment!

@@Tonna Marie Chikukwa

If you do shakes for a few days, you will definitely feel an increase in your restriction.

If you are snacking and grazing you can sneak so many calories in like that. This is where veggies would help, if you were snacking on veggies, they basically have no calories.

Yes I try to do veggies if I can, I am going to plan on doing some shakes for awhile maybe a couple a day to just help me get back on track. I also have found this dressing called Walden Farms that is zero everything so you could essentially "drink" the whole bottle and get no calories, fat, etc so that is what I try to use with my veggies and salads

I use Walden Farms and I love it! I use it for my salads and I can have a "huge salad, and it is less than 30 calories. Salad in a bag, would really help with your snacking.

@@Tonna Marie Chikukwa

I do agree with you to some extent, you DON'T have to go to the gym to work out. Walking is terrific, I did a ton of it after my surgery, it really helped me get rid of all that darn air trapped in my tissues, ugh, and I walk at least 5 miles every day. Plus, there's lots of other things you can do outside the gym besides walking-- planks are one of the best things you can do to strenthen your core. Push ups, crunches, squats, lunges--all can be done in the comfort of your living room with no equipment whatsoever. BUT, sometimes, going to the gym, trying a new class--kickboxing, hot yoga,--whatever the thing of the moment is, can help motivate you or get you out of a rut! So, there's my wishy-washy answer :)

Yes I try to do veggies if I can, I am going to plan on doing some shakes for awhile maybe a couple a day to just help me get back on track. I also have found this dressing called Walden Farms that is zero everything so you could essentially "drink" the whole bottle and get no calories, fat, etc so that is what I try to use with my veggies and salads

It's funny, I still cannot really eat much salad, the bulk still does not work with my stomach. I do eat veggies, regularly, mostly cooked broccoli, asparagus and cauliflower, but rarely a salad. My recent discovery in terms of something bulky/low cal and satisfying is watermelon. Despite the sugar, it is considered a low-glycemic food because of the high Fiber content. It's 50 calories a cup, has loads of anti-oxidants, is very filling and is yummy!