Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all,

Please tell me I'm not the only one. I am two weeks away from VSG and I am regretting my decision already. The first thing that comes to mind is that I could do this by myself. I know that is a lie because I've tried so many things in the past. I assume that this feeling is coming from the fear of surgery, I honestly don't have a clue. The only thing that keeps me going is knowing that the surgery as well as diet and exercise will ensure some weight loss. Please tell me I'm not the only one with this feeling......

Sent from my SM-G360P using the BariatricPal App

You are not the only one - it's common. Go over the reasons why you are having surgery and what you want to do when you lose weight! Remember only 5% of people who lose weight on their own keep it off! That's a pathetic statistic. Stay strong!

My surgery also is in two weeks and I could not be any more EXCITED as I already are. I have no REGRETS! I am looking forward to my future BODY!

You are not the only one. My surgery is in 12 days and I sometimes feel like that. Or I start to think maybe am not as big as I think etc.. But you know what Ive been dieting my whole life and I think is time for something permanent So don't back out just think of all the benefits

I am right there with y'all my surgery is Monday this liquid diet feels like it killing me and I finally had the thought why am I doing this but overall I still think it's the best opinion for me I have had 2 back surgeries and still in chronic pain just had a knee surgery 8 weeks ago all just extra weight will help getting it off everything in the long run

Sent from my iPhone

Edited by tanyarahmes

If you ask most bariatric surgery patients what they regret most about their surgery, it's that they didn't get it done sooner.

The difference between dieting and WLS is HUGE. It is still hard and you still need to make good choices, and there are ways to sabotage yourself, but I can tell you that I'd never felt this good on a regular diet/exercise regime. When I restricted calories in the past, my body fought back hard. Hunger was unbearable.

If you compare hunger to noise, pre-surgery hunger was a deafening roar. Now it's just a little whimper. The signal's there but it's not making me pounce face-first into a platter of food.

You will feel different, and it will feel fabulous (once you're past recovery and liquid diets!) Hang in there, folks :)

I go back and forth on my decision almost daily - I think it's a natural part of the process!! You are not alone!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Definitely not the only one. It's nerves and, I'd agree, mostly because it's surgical and the reminder that this is a lifetime commitment lingers. There's also a lot of questions that go through (at least for me) our heads as we're headed towards surgery. All these things we do now and want to know if we can do after surgery (albeit with moderation).

I'm nervous right there with you. I'm scheduled for the 21st, but seeing all the success stories and all the positive responses to how it changes people's lives is really helping fight back against the nerves.

If you have or have ever been on Tumblr or other social networks, search "weight loss surgery" in the tag. There's hundreds of picture posts of people doing before and after shots and it's just so amazing. I know there's that here, too, but I've just joined and can't point you directly to it.

Thank you all. For the comments and insight. I feel better knowing I'm not alone.

I think what you are feeling is very normal.....But I can say this as someone who recently had surgery...I'm about 4.5 weeks post op............This is the BEST thing I've ever done for myself!! it is exactly what I needed! I actually think most of us that get to this point are pretty close to being expert dieters....I knew what I should eat....I ate mostly healthy, but my problem was I ate way way too much!!! I could actually lose weight when I set my mind to it. But I always would start falling back to my old habits and (portion sizes) and end up gaining it all back plus some.....This tool is absolutely amazing! I love my little tiny plates of food that I can never finish...haha......So far I'm loving it!

I think its normal and common to question your choice.

I literally went back and forth in my head until the moment they wheeled me into the operating room..

I was scared, excited, nervous, mourning the loss of my stomach, hopeful, disappointed that i had gotten to that point, thankful, sad, happy, scared, uncertain, apprehensive .. you name it... i felt it.. and that was only in one day!

Its completely normal, allow yourself permission to feel these emotions and remind yourself why you are doing this, the benefits you will gain through doing this and what this surgery will enable you to achieve.

The head stuff is much harder than the physical stuff... but take each day as exactly that... one day....

Wishing you best of luck for your surgery

I cancelled my surgery twice, thinking I could lose the weight on my own, I dropped 40lbs and starting thinking I could do it on my own. Gained most of it back! I understand your feelings! I've been there twice. Now my wife and family are giving me their FULL support, which is big for me since I am a people pleaser at heart. This time around I know I NEED this tool to help me to be healthy again!

I am so happy to be a part of this forum with such supportive people. Thank you all for replying.

Hello all,

Please tell me I'm not the only one. I am two weeks away from VSG and I am regretting my decision already. The first thing that comes to mind is that I could do this by myself. I know that is a lie because I've tried so many things in the past. I assume that this feeling is coming from the fear of surgery, I honestly don't have a clue. The only thing that keeps me going is knowing that the surgery as well as diet and exercise will ensure some weight loss. Please tell me I'm not the only one with this feeling......

I just started this journey & have my first appt in 2 weeks. I also go back and forth thinking I can do this alone, it seems easier than surgery. The thought of surgery scares me but then I think of the last 13 years I gained prob around 80-100 pounds I've tried gyms, diets, crash diets nothing has worked. I lose & gain double One of my coworkers who was so depressed & struggled so much with her weight had it & it has made me consider it. I've seen other people get wls but something about how happy she looked made me consider it now I'm pushing myself even with fear.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Just do it. I was more afraid than anyone, partly because I'd never had surgery before.

Unfortunately, I had some complications (bleeding) and required a second surgery to fix. But, I'm down 160 pounds, 2.5 years out, and have been at goal for 1.5 years. All health problems gone and my doctor says I have the body of an athlete now.

I'd do this again even if I knew about the second surgery ahead of time.

Edited by Andrew0929