Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting ready for my upcoming sleeve, and have been doing some label reading at the grocery store... What Soups have higher amounts of Protein? I looked at several today and all were about 5-7g Protein per 1 cup serving. Seems like it would be impossible to use that for a meal or two and still meet protein goal for the day. Chili was much better at around 23g protein per 1 cup serving, but I'd love to have Soup for variety! Any suggestions appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I think most people on here add the unflavored Protein to their Soups. I think powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury has an unflavored one.

What @@jennmonterrozo said ... canned Soups don't have tons of Protein. I added unjury chicken-flavored Protein powder to my soups early on.

And when you're ready for pureed or chopped meats, grind up chicken meat and add those to chicken-based soups.

Vegetarians add non-animal Protein powders to their soups.

When you're ready for them, the various chili recipes out there are wonderful -- both beef- and chicken-based chilis. And adding Beans to soups ups the protein grams, too.

Getting ready for my upcoming sleeve, and have been doing some label reading at the grocery store... What Soups have higher amounts of Protein? I looked at several today and all were about 5-7g Protein per 1 cup serving. Seems like it would be impossible to use that for a meal or two and still meet protein goal for the day. Chili was much better at around 23g protein per 1 cup serving, but I'd love to have Soup for variety! Any suggestions appreciated

I had my sleeve surgery on 6/2. I tried the unjury unflavored and it clumped up really bad. You are doing the right thing, make sure you have identified some things that are not sweet because the shakes and everything seem to taste more sweet than they did before. I read the Inspire unflavored protein is the best. I just ordered it.

As far as already made stuff I have discovered everyone seems to say the Premier Protein is the best tasting. It's good but SUPER SWEET. I discovered this morning adding cold Decaf coffee and a couple of spoons of unsweetented cocoa to the chocolate is really tasty and takes away from the sweetness. I added Ice and made it into a shake. It will likely take all day to drink but that's ok.

We made veggie soup a few days ago with chicken stock and added a lot of spices. My hubby strained it and it was wonderful. We then made a chicken enchilada soup and strained it but blended the chicken and some of the black Beans in until smooth.

My doctor also recommends making things with what they call double milk. You combine skim milk and powdered milk to double the protein. It works well and has a much better flavor than skim alone.

Not sure this is very helpful but I hope it is.

To help with the clumping problem....

Premix the unflavored Protein powder with a bit of Water in a Blender Bottle to make a slurry. Add this to your Soup after heating. Do not add to anything above 140 degrees because Protein solidifies when it's heated (look at a raw egg vs cooked egg). Its just what it does. I did this with dozens of different broths and Soups throughout all my food stages and never had any problems meeting protein goals (and had a wide variety of flavors so I didn't get bored)

You can try adding white Beans into blended Soups. They up your carb count, but if you are controlling portions it should not be an issue. Another plus (besides the protein) is they act as a thickener without really changing the taste.

I made my own high Protein Soups and chilis. I have included some of the recipes at the end of the following article. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

Secret Recipe Homemade Chili - 23 grams Protein per cup

Beef Pho Soup - 15 grams protein per cup

Seafood Egg Drop Soup - 19 grams protein per cup

chicken Egg Drop Soup - 26 grams protein per cup

you can check out the BariatricPal Store too, they have a bunch of Soups and bouillons you may like with at least 15g of Protein per packet.

• I agree with Cervidae & Inner Surfer Girl. I got the Soups with the Protein in them, as it was much easier for me than trying to make my own. Be careful though of the sodium as they may be high. I was using them on a daily basis and had to stop using them after a month. They got me through the 2 weeks of liquids as I was not always wanting the shakes. During that time I also used the protein hot chocolate. Those I still use to this day for my morning drink and have them on subscription from the BariatricPal Store to arrive at my door every 30 days.