Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Devistated......sigh..........

I went to my "pre-op" visit today in preparation for my surgery on Aug 23rd. I had gained 10lbs since my last visit in May........ My surgery was cancelled. Dr. said I was going in the wrong direction and needed to take this seriously. My Dr. dosen't require a pre-op diet. So I didn't think I had any "stipulations". My mom had a stroke in July, so i've been taking care of her and my grandma now, no time for myself, stress eating is at an all time high. I'm trying not to let this get me down, but it's hard. I had my week off all planned,(from both jobs) won't have another week off until Christmas. The dr said I could do it on a Friday and go back to work on Monday, but that seems daunting. I've got to go back in 2 weeks and revaluate, liquid diet until then. I'm supposed to walk 30 min/twice a day in this record setting 100 degree heat we are having... I wish I had someone to give me a hug and tell me it's all going to work out. But I don' know if I'd believe it or not right now. All over 10lbs.

ahhh what can I say - I am sending you big hugs ((((hugs)))); hopefully this will help.

If you can do the liquid diet and lose the 10lbs will your doc change his mind and keep the date for you?

Don't give up, it will be worth it.:D

Thanks Kathy, No.....I told him I could lose 10lbs by the 23rd, but he said, I'd be too Dehydrated and it woudln't give me liver a chance to get healthier. Believe me, I tried every angle.

I can only go from my own experience and what I have read of others and their experiences but I think there are two issues here regarding eating and getting a band.

First of all there is final meal sydrome... we eat a million of them thinking we aren't ever going to be able to eat again. That combined with the idea that you know you are getting a band so it doesn't matter if you gain a few pounds... it's not a good thing.

I kinda sorta have to agree with your doc. Getting a band is serious business. Liver issues are serious business. Someone wrote just in the last couple of days that her 20 minute procedure took 2 hours because of liver issues. Her doc almost closed her up without doing surgery. Can you imagine waking up and being told there is no band, go diet before they'll try again?

Consider this... when someone is extra large they have a mega size liver. During surgery there are "usually" five incisions, each incision they insert what looks like a hollow metal rod. They slide instruments in and out of these metal rods (trocars).

One of these rods has the job of holding the liver up and out of the way so the band can be placed. When the liver is huge and heavy it will literally bend and warp the metal trocar so they have to make two incisions just because of the weight, they need two trocars.

This makes surgery harder for the surgeon and if it is harder for him it is more dangerous for you.

Cut out ALL white carbs. That means sugar too. Flour, sugar, rice, and potatoes. Stick to adequate Protein (vs. high protein), and low fat foods. Get your liver happy and healthy and surgery will be safer for you.

Liver issues are serious business. Someone wrote just in the last couple of days that her 20 minute procedure took 2 hours because of liver issues. Her doc almost closed her up without doing surgery. Can you imagine waking up and being told there is no band, go diet before they'll try again?

That was me -- she of the ginormous liver! :clap2:

And, incidentally, I know how you feel at being cancelled -- I was cancelled twice ON SURGERY day, once before I went into OR and once after I went in and was put under.

I realize now that that two week delay, God probably allowed it to happen -- cause if my liver was STILL that big, there's no way it would have been small enough on the original date.

Sweetie, you CAN do this.

You MUST do this.

My mother had a stroke in 2000 and died a few weeks later. I came home from being with her for a few weeks and told my husband, "I've seen my future and I don't like it!"

I've been trying since then to get surgery!!

And I don't think of myself as particularly tenacious or strong willed. Except -- I DO want to live a healthier life.

I may not get any more than the 75 years my mother got, but by golly, they're gonna be worth living!!!

We're here, we'll hang with you. Cry it out. Then pick yourself up and start over again.

That was me -- she of the ginormous liver! :clap2:

And, incidentally, I know how you feel at being cancelled -- I was cancelled twice ON SURGERY day, once before I went into OR and once after I went in and was put under.

I realize now that that two week delay, God probably allowed it to happen -- cause if my liver was STILL that big, there's no way it would have been small enough on the original date.

Sweetie, you CAN do this.

You MUST do this.

Nana... I was hoping you'd chime in, that's what I wrote about you! HA!

Thanks!

Guys, my doctor hasn't put me on a pre-op diet. I'm scheduled for Aug 27th but since reading on the forum, I've put myself on a high Protein low carb. That won't hurt, will it?

I went to my "pre-op" visit today in preparation for my surgery on Aug 23rd. I had gained 10lbs since my last visit in May........ My surgery was cancelled. Dr. said I was going in the wrong direction and needed to take this seriously. My Dr. dosen't require a pre-op diet. So I didn't think I had any "stipulations". My mom had a stroke in July, so i've been taking care of her and my grandma now, no time for myself, stress eating is at an all time high. I'm trying not to let this get me down, but it's hard. I had my week off all planned,(from both jobs) won't have another week off until Christmas. The dr said I could do it on a Friday and go back to work on Monday, but that seems daunting. I've got to go back in 2 weeks and revaluate, liquid diet until then. I'm supposed to walk 30 min/twice a day in this record setting 100 degree heat we are having... I wish I had someone to give me a hug and tell me it's all going to work out. But I don' know if I'd believe it or not right now. All over 10lbs.

Mermaidpuppy - :D:girl_hug::scared::girl_hug::nono::girl_hug: HUGS TO YOU

I Am sorry to read this

I gained 6 lbs between my 1st on 5/31 visit and my pre-op visit 7/6 all due to last meal mentallity.. But I did have a pre-op diet for 7 days plus 2 colon cleanse and they didn't even weigh me the day of surgery...

I am 52 had surgery on Tues was at work on Monday (i do have a desk job)

Do the liquid diet go to the mall near you and walk there - 100 degrees is cool to me - try 111 :( and its 100 at 9 pm. got back in 2 weeks and show him you can do it.

My best to you :nono::girl_hug::nono:

I guess I feel differently from most of the community. I am ANGRY for you. I am ANGRY at your doctor for what seems to be to be him chastizing you for gaining weight. I agree that gaining weight isn't healthy right before surgery, but it seems to me that your surgeon isn't just commenting on the health aspects -- he's judging you for it by saying you aren't serious about the band. We've all gained weight over far less stressful things that being the sole caregiver to two ill immediate family members. This is precisely why you need a band and I'm mad at him for denying you (with the understanding that the delay may be medically necessary -- my issue is with the judgment).

None of us needs to prove to a surgeon that we deserve a band.

None of us needs to prove to a surgeon that we deserve a band.

I'm with Julie on this one. *big hugs* You will get through this!

Hey Julie! I have to lose 14 pounds before my surgery. You can do it- it would have been nice if the Dr had told you not to GAIN any weight!! I'm planing on doing a liquid diet for 2 weeks before my pre-op date. My Dr is very firm about me having to lose 14 pounds or else he WILL reschedule. That is very scary to me! Keep us updated on what is happening with you. I'm cheering for you!

I'm with Julie on this one too! Your doctor should have understood the stress you have been under with your Mom being sick. That kind of stress is enough for anyone to fall off the band wagon. I understand the concern about the whole "shrinking liver" but----------

I am on the liquid preop diet right now - so if you need any help just please write me.

Take care and I wish all the best to you!

shelli:ranger:

I hope you get the surgery you need. Maybe you need to find another surgeon. If he didn't require a pre-op diet, then why is he shocked you gained weight? If you didn't have a problem with eating/weight, you wouldn't be there!!!

Also, from my own experience, I WOULD NOT recommend having surgery on Friday and going back to work on Monday. Even if only for the anesthesia. It takes at least 5 days for your body to recover from anesthesia.

I do not have a desk job (hospital), I'm on my feet and do some fairly strenuous work, but there is NO WAY I could've gone back to work even after 1 week. I had surgery on a Monday and didn't really even feel like myself until the following Monday.

IMO, even a desk job would require a week off from work.

Good luck. You will find all the support you need on this site. These folks are wonderful!

I also had a great deal of trouble losing the weight. It took me 8 months to lose the 15 pounds I was told to lose. After reading an article about how Wellbutrin can help with weightloss, I asked my Dr. if I could try it. I think it helped me very much. I am a stress eater too. I finally had surgery on 7-19-07! Good Luck, you can do it!

Thanks guys for all your kind words. I really don't think I was having the "last meal" mind set. I was just living the life that got me this way and gearing up for the changes after surgery. I feel much better now. I walked, had some slimfast and a Nap! (I think the nap was most helpful) I just hate losing the time. The dental office I work for is going to our confrence in South Beach Miami this November, and I wanna be able to wear something slightly stylish and keep up with my skinny coworkers. I was just in shock this morning. But it may be for the best now. I'm gonna get better mentally prepared this way having to do the liquids before hand. Why didn't he require it in the first place????? He said he had to cancel 5 surgeries this week because of weight gain, and was mad at his staff because of it. I guess HE SHOULD BE MORE CLEAR IN HIS INSTRUCTIONS. How about a good old hand out or something? He didn't even respond when I told him about the unusual stress level I have had lately. But he's supposed to be the best in the area, so I guess bedside manor will have to suffer. I'm trying to get rid of my "poopy pants". All your comments have helped. Thanks Nana and Julie!