Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I cheated today during post op...

Hey there, banded 8/16. liquid for toooo many days I can't count. One week preop of shakes only. I did do that okay. DH and kids went to Panda Express for chinese and brought me back egg drop Soup. I drained the stuff out and sipped on the broth. It was great. Also drinking Isopure Water 40g of Protein in a bottle. Have you heard of drinking cold stuff post op will cause your stomach to spaspm? Are we only to be on warm liquids post op? When was your surgery date?

Congrats azqueen! Banded 8/16 as well. I don't remember hearing anything special about hot or cold beverages. I seem to do fine with both. How about pain? When do you think I will start to feel at least a little back to normal. the only thing that still really hurts is the port site. I swear it feels like i have a 5 pound ball hanging inside my stomach!

The time following the operation is for your stomach to heal. The Lap-Band needs to form a groove on your stomach. That groove makes the Lap-Band resistant to slipping. Eating food during the post-op period before you are supposed to be eating food could cause the Lap-Band to slip, or increase the risk of a future slippage. Food causes the stomach muscle to "Work" to digest the food. The "Work" could cause the band to not seat properly on the stomach. Weight loss is NOT to be expected during the recovery time after the operation. If you lose weight, wonderful, but don't expect it. The time between the operation and getting an EFFECTIVE fill that causes restriction is called "Bandster Hell" for a good reason. Without an EFFECTIVE fill, our hunger is just as strong, but the band does not work to help us. Getting an EFFECTIVE fill sometimes takes multiple fills, it is not unusual for it to take 3-5 or even MORE fills to obtain restriction. Because the band has to seat into the groove to hold its position, and every time the band is filled the fill adds extra pressure on the band, most doctors choose to let time pass between fills. Most doctors will not fill a band before 4 weeks after the operation, 6 weeks is common and 8-12 weeks of healing time is not unheard of.

I was banded on 7/31 and am off the liquid stage now, but one of the best things I found was Progresso "Healthy" Soup, Southwestern Vegetable, pureed in the blender. I did not like the cream Soups too well, but this was great, lots of flavor, and a little spicy too. I was told not to eat soup in its regular form with the band at all, the nutritionist said either the broth or the substance, pick one, so I will probably be blending up lots of it in the future.

Hi, the noodles won't hurt you, not sure about the egg roll. I ate cottage cheese and yogurt along with slimfast and Optifast blended with fruit when I was as far along as you. I also ate sugar free Jello and some diet pudding I found at Walmart. At three weeks I was to add canned tuna and chicken so you might want to think about that fairly soon. I am five weeks out and having trouble with some solids like chicken, but am ok with others. My port area is still painful to the touch.

HI Susan70 . I too slipped up 3 days post-op. I won't get into it, but I posted my slip on another site, and I was totally humiliated by the replies I got. So humilated that I erased all my profile and will never log there again.

Yes, I may have wanted a little sympathy, but like you, I also wanted support from those who possible went thru the same thing...and got none.

I can relate. Hang in there. I realized the guilt of my own stupidity made me feel much worse than anything anyone could have written to me!! I'm doing much better now, and you will too!

hang in there!

ms L.

Congrats azqueen! Banded 8/16 as well. I don't remember hearing anything special about hot or cold beverages. I seem to do fine with both. How about pain? When do you think I will start to feel at least a little back to normal. the only thing that still really hurts is the port site. I swear it feels like i have a 5 pound ball hanging inside my stomach!

It seem like for everyone your port site hurts the most - I am a month out and i no longer have port site pain - it gets better each day.

You guys were banded 8/16 tht only 3 days ago - I was banded on 7/17 and was feeling pretty good by the 20th and back to work on the 23rd (desk job) Month out feel like i never had surgery (meaning back to normal - just eating less)

HI Susan70 . I too slipped up 3 days post-op. I won't get into it, but I posted my slip on another site, and I was totally humiliated by the replies I got. So humilated that I erased all my profile and will never log there again.

Yes, I may have wanted a little sympathy, but like you, I also wanted support from those who possible went thru the same thing...and got none.

I can relate. Hang in there. I realized the guilt of my own stupidity made me feel much worse than anything anyone could have written to me!! I'm doing much better now, and you will too!

hang in there!

ms L.

MsL - I am sorry that the other site ridiculed you... I am resigterd on ObesityHelp & band2gether - but this is my site of choice.. I love it !!!

if you mess up (most of us do at one time or another - they banded our stomach not our heads ) you will be told that it's wasn't a good thing but you will be told in a loving way not to beat yourself up and just get back on the wagon. Also, it depend on how bad you messed up - you can hurt yourself so be careful - you don't want all the preop - surgery etc to be for not..

Good Luck in making wise choices ....;)

I am six days out and last night I ate a quarter of a meatball. I took teeny tiny pieces and chewed and chewed somemore. It went down ok. I guess we are human and this is all part of it. Got back on track today and not planning on doing it again until it is allowed.

Val

weight.png

I am six days out and last night I ate a quarter of a meatball. I took teeny tiny pieces and chewed and chewed somemore. It went down ok. I guess we are human and this is all part of it. Got back on track today and not planning on doing it again until it is allowed.

Val

weight.png

Valzie

You have the right mind set, pick yourself up and start over:clap2:

I chewed and spit out (I know tmi) but it worked..:nervous

Good Luck !!

I'm not quite a week out and still on full liquids. My program calls for full liquids for nearly 3 weeks. I am so sick of the sweetness at this point, I'm about to gag. I've never been a fan of "cream" Soups, and I'm really struggling with the overly sweet taste of the yogurt and pudding all the time. I never thought I'd see a time when chicken broth tasted good. Anyone have any ideas for me to beat the sweets? I'm not much of a sweet eater anyway, and this is pretty much putting me into overload.

HELP!

*still smiling tho'*

I love this forum so much... I am 11 days out and just couldn't take another liquid drink or sweet drop so I chowed through half a bag of chips then completely freaked out but knew I would find support and advice on this forum and here it is. I am so scared that I have done irreversable damage and $15,000 has gone down the toliet on another failed diet!!!! Glad to see that slip ups are normal and I will get through this. But so agree with the sweetness overload, not much of a sweet freak and dying for something savoury with a crunch! Bandster Hell is .... well.... hell!!

The time following the operation is for your stomach to heal. The Lap-Band needs to form a groove on your stomach. That groove makes the Lap-Band resistant to slipping. Eating food during the post-op period before you are supposed to be eating food could cause the Lap-Band to slip, or increase the risk of a future slippage. Food causes the stomach muscle to "Work" to digest the food. The "Work" could cause the band to not seat properly on the stomach. Weight loss is NOT to be expected during the recovery time after the operation. If you lose weight, wonderful, but don't expect it. The time between the operation and getting an EFFECTIVE fill that causes restriction is called "Bandster Hell" for a good reason. Without an EFFECTIVE fill, our hunger is just as strong, but the band does not work to help us. Getting an EFFECTIVE fill sometimes takes multiple fills, it is not unusual for it to take 3-5 or even MORE fills to obtain restriction. Because the band has to seat into the groove to hold its position, and every time the band is filled the fill adds extra pressure on the band, most doctors choose to let time pass between fills. Most doctors will not fill a band before 4 weeks after the operation, 6 weeks is common and 8-12 weeks of healing time is not unheard of.

Okay started freaking out now reading this. I was told this week I should still be on liquid but I have added in a couple of scrambled (and very runny) eggs and some mashed potato with gravy and of course the dreaded chips binge (man I HAVE been bad!!) Does this mean I have probably sone serious damage to my band or does it take a bit more like downing a roast to cause a slip?

I am four days out and am living on Tomato Soup, popsicles, pudding and yogurt. I am so tired of the sweetness. But, only a week to go until I can try mushies. I have had no problems so far. I can drink plenty, eat a whole popsicle or pudding with no problems.

Quick thought for those of you "sick of sweet" - believe me I was there and know all too well what that is like.

When I went into the soft/mush stage post-op, I created my own "soup".

Simply took a 4oz piece of a boneless/skinless chicken breast that I had

boiled (grilled or broiled would work too). I chopped it up in my foor processor, added a 1/2 cup of brown gravy to the food processor and pureed.

This was a great way to have a non-sweet this liquid snack/meal. I'm not a huge fan of cream Soups - and honestly - broth get's old too. Don't be scared off at the thought of pureed meat - I was hesitant myself, but it wasnt bad at all. :hungry: