Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Haven't had the surgery yet, but I have a question.

After getting the surgery I'm supposed to be on a clear liquid diet. I want to get all my Protein in so I have whey Protein Powder. I'm going to mix that with Water. But is this ok? I mean it's flavor is chocolate. There's only 2 grams of sugar in it, 100 calories and 6 carbs. Will I be ok with drinking this right after surgery or do I need an unflavored Protein Drink in the first week after surgery?

I used a chocolate Protein powder in 8 ounces of milk for the first month or so. Then I started drinking Premier Protein. I've never used an unflavored protein powder. I was even given a small chocolate and then vanilla Protein Shake in the hospital the day after surgery. Hope this helps! :)

@@Autumn Riley Arnold - Honestly, I think you will have to ask your dr or NUT. I have read lots of things lately about "clear liquid" diet and I know I was supposed to be on it, but I don't know that I really did what I was supposed to! The day before surgery, they said Clear liquids and I understood that to be nothing with red or blue dye and that you could see through so I used the premixed Isopure drinks on that day (UGH!! I hated those BTW. Some like them but just the smell makes me shiver... :D ) I was only in the hospital one night and I am sure I was supposed to do "clear liquids" but I think I drank my chocolate Protein drinks mixed with Water right away. I am not sure that was correct though. I am hoping to have plastics in the fall, and the instructions for that are also Clear Liquids for 2 days prior to surgery, so I will have to get it clarified for then too! I am just not sure how you get Protein in on a clear liquid diet.

I know that wasn't helpful other than to say, I did it and was confused about it (and still am!)

After getting the surgery I'm supposed to be on a clear liquid diet. I want to get all my Protein in so I have whey protein powder. I'm going to mix that with Water. But is this ok? I mean it's flavor is chocolate. There's only 2 grams of sugar in it, 100 calories and 6 carbs. Will I be ok with drinking this right after surgery or do I need an unflavored protein drink in the first week after surgery?

This is a great question for your surgeon or NUT. My first week was clears, but my surgeon allowed a couple of exceptions (namely Premier Protein and a couple of ProtiDiet soups). I also used the ProtiDiet liquid beverage concentrates undiluted. They are clear.

After RNY gastric bypass surgery, the three most important daily requirements are Protein, fluids and Vitamins.

In terms of Protein, you need to find a protein shake that you can tolerate. You don't have to like it, only tolerate it. For many individuals, their taste buds change. Mine changed so much that I couldn't even drink the Water in the hospital because it tasted like chlorine. I could not drink milk because I became lactose intolerant after surgery. Fortunately that condition (lactose intolerant) only lasted for 2 months. Flavoring such as chocolate is O.K. so long as you can tolerate it. Be prepared to experiment after surgery until you find a supplement that you can work with. Whatever Protein Shake you select, it should have a good amount of protein (such as more than 20 grams per serving) and low amount of sugar. If you become lactose intolerant after surgery, be aware that some Protein shakes contain lactose. For me I used "Muscle Milk Light (Vanilla Creme) protein shake powder blended in a Ninja blender (single serving cup) with Water. I blended in a half a banana to make it more tolerable. Your protein requirement is a separate requirement than your meal requirement - so the half a banana doesn't count against your meal volume. (But don't abuse this). Also your protein requirement doesn't kick in until after you begin to pass gas after surgery (normally within the first 5 days).

Yeah, I think I'm gonna just have to ask my Nutritionalist about exactly what I can have right after surgery. My handy dandy little bariatric book says
You will be sent home on a bariatric clear liquid diet. Please do no forget to sip on Water throughout the day. Your goal should be 64 ounces each day.

It says:
You will start Protein supplements on day 3 after surgery
You will progress to full liquids day 7 after surgery.

But I need to know exactly what I can have, you know? So I guess i'll ask her or him.
Thanks for your replies and advice though! I appreciate it so much!

Yeah, I think I'm gonna just have to ask my Nutritionalist about exactly what I can have right after surgery. My handy dandy little bariatric book says

You will be sent home on a bariatric clear liquid diet. Please do no forget to sip on Water throughout the day. Your goal should be 64 ounces each day.

It says:

You will start Protein supplements on day 3 after surgery

You will progress to full liquids day 7 after surgery.

But I need to know exactly what I can have, you know? So I guess i'll ask her or him.

Thanks for your replies and advice though! I appreciate it so much!

My surgeon really wanted us to get our Protein right away. They gave us the undiluted ProtiDiet liquid beverage concentrates in the hospital as soon as we were cleared for liquids (right after the leak test).

Oh boy the variety of advice were all getting makes it difficult for us to help... My nut said I'll come home on full liquids after 2 night in the hospital and on the 5th day out from surgery I can add Greek yogurt etc... The guidelines don't seem to be the same for anyone unless two people are using the same surgeon...

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

True, I guess it's different for each person. But this is a book that was given to everyone in the nutritional class. So idk

I was given a choice of vanilla or chocolate carnation before being discharged from the hospital, so I started on carnation chocolate when I got home, then transitioned to other brands of Protein until I found one I liked, but none were ever clear.