Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery May 31st! Anyone else joining in the fun on this day?

I am 55 and having surgery on the 31st of May. Second guessing myself on my decision. My adult children are not pleased and do not want me to have it. Of course I am a bit freaked out but know I am doing this to better my life. (Well most of the time I know this). Wishing I had a bit more support.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had a lot of family members telling me not to do it too. The complications! The drastic measures! Etc.

Now I'm 9 months post op and down 150 pounds and healthier than every person who told me not to do it. Take that, well-meaning but utterly irrelevant loved ones! :P

When it comes to a decision like this, no one but you has any right to tell you what to do. They still will try, or course, but if you know this is right for you, if you know you want to be healthier and live longer, and you know you've exhausted other methods of losing and keeping off the weight, then you're right where you need to be and doing what you need to do for you. This is one of the hardest parts of the surgery. You and only you can decide to take the leap for the possibility of a much better and longer future than you would have without surgery.

Good luck to you! We're all here to support you, whatever you decide. Sounds like you already know what you want/need. :)

@@redgoddess I'm on May 31st too. Well into preop diet. How are you doing? Where are you? I'm near San Antonio tx. Good luck! I selected just 4 family members to tell to avoid all the storm of naysayers. I have to do this for me and all my growing family . I'm RNY. 64. 230 LBS. Prayers all around!

I had a lot of family members telling me not to do it too. The complications! The drastic measures! Etc.

Now I'm 9 months post op and down 150 pounds and healthier than every person who told me not to do it. Take that, well-meaning but utterly irrelevant loved ones!

When it comes to a decision like this, no one but you has any right to tell you what to do. They still will try, or course, but if you know this is right for you, if you know you want to be healthier and live longer, and you know you've exhausted other methods of losing and keeping off the weight, then you're right where you need to be and doing what you need to do for you. This is one of the hardest parts of the surgery. You and only you can decide to take the leap for the possibility of a much better and longer future than you would have without surgery.

Good luck to you! We're all here to support you, whatever you decide. Sounds like you already know what you want/need. :)

I'm so glad you said that. They keep telling me scary stories too as if I don't know the risks...I just try to stay positive and think of the great possibilities

Sent from my 0PM92 using the BariatricPal App

@@redgoddess I'm on May 31st too. Well into preop diet. How are you doing? Where are you? I'm near San Antonio tx. Good luck! I selected just 4 family members to tell to avoid all the storm of naysayers. I have to do this for me and all my growing family . I'm RNY. 64. 230 LBS. Prayers all around!

Texasbrit10, I am in California and have my pre op appointment tomorrow. I am nervous, excited and scared all wrapped up into one. I am 55 and am an empty nester this year. I am doing this so I do not end up like my father (insulin dependent). I am currently not needing insulin but am borderline diabetic with other health issues. I will find out tomorrow what time my surgery is and what soap to wash with before surgery as well as a colon cleanse? (This is what the nurse said on the phone when she scheduled my surgery). Wishing you all the best too! Keep me posted. :)

Now I'm 9 months post op and down 150 pounds and healthier than every person who told me not to do it. Take that, well-meaning but utterly irrelevant loved ones! :P

Awesome job on the 150 lbs and thank you for your kind words. I know without a support system in place I will be miserable!

I had my surgery on May 9th. I have yet to tell my family. My husband knows, my best friend knows, a lady who had the surgery knows and my one of my cousins knows that I trust not to say anything knows. Other than that I have yet to tell anyone else in my family because when I first mentioned it to my parents they immediately started to criticize and tell me that would be the biggest mistake of my life. I also did not want to have to explain myself.

I have lost some weight since the 9th but it has been slow which is fine. I probably won't see my family until the holiday which is far away.

I have my ups and downs with my relationship with my stomach and trying to work on my relationship with food. I hope with time the ups will far outnumber my downs.

LS

@redgoddess-I'm waiting as we speak! Good luck!

How are you today. I am really exhausted. At my moms and resting.

@redgoddess-I'm waiting as we speak! Good luck!

How are you today. I am really exhausted. At my moms and resting.

Not so good! Surgery was aborted due to adhesions and fused organs! So disappointed!

Surgery aborted due to adhesions! Not a happy camper

I am so sorry. How long is it put off or is it not going to happen now?