Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So many questions about MGB

I'm so glad I found a forum dedicated to MGB. I kept posting my questions at the RNY forum and no one seemed to be able to really answer all of my question.. Well here we go:-

1- I was wondering if after getting the MGB are will still able to digest and absorb Vitamin pills (and not capsules) like prenatal Vitamins for example? Sorry for TMI but before my surgery and when I used to take my prenatal my urine would change to bright yellow. It just didn't happen this time!! I'm only taking the prenatal a to help prepare my body for pregnancy.. I take it along with Bariatric vitamins.

2- I came across a Bariatric once a day capsule under the brand name ProCare Health . Was wondering if any of you have used it before? Is it advisable to use a once a day pill? I have read somewhere that chewables are the best for bypass patients and it has to be taken 2-4 times for best absorption.. Is this true? I just can't stand chewables and defiantly would prefer taking 1 pill/ capsule per day instead of 4-6.

3- Is MGB associated with more malabsorption than regular RNY? My surgeon said they usually bypass around 2 meters of the intestines but because my pre-op BMI was only 33 and I didn't need to lose much that he will only bypass 1.8 meters which will cause slightly better absorption.. Is this true?

4- since with MGB we have a larger pouch compared to RNY does that mean that some absorption can happen in the stomach??

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi. I am in the UK. Had a consult yesterday re a gastric band but surgeon suggested a MGB . I was very surprised - my BMI is 36 so didnt imagine I would be considered for a MGB. Like you my loop would be shorter than someone with a higher BMI . I am concerned about ' the dumping syndrome' and not absorbing enough nutrients . Julie

Hi. I am in the UK. Had a consult yesterday re a gastric band but surgeon suggested a MGB . I was very surprised - my BMI is 36 so didnt imagine I would be considered for a MGB. Like you my loop would be shorter than someone with a higher BMI . I am concerned about ' the dumping syndrome' and not absorbing enough nutrients . Julie

Hi Julie.. I lived in the uk for 6 years :).. Do you suffer from diabetes or had PCOS? How old are you? And did the surgeon mention how much will your loop be or how much does he suggest?

Lap band is useless btw and it is expected that within 2 years it will not be used anymore

I initially wanted a sleeve but my surgeon said the following:-

1- MGB is reversible, so if anything happens God forbids there is always a way back and plan B

2- MGB is associated with less risk of bleeding and leakage compared to sleeve

3- type 2 diabetes respond better to MGB than to sleeve

4- the chance of regaining weight with MGB is much less than with sleeve

5- % of loss is almost the same

6- chance of getting GERD or reflux with sleeve is higher than with MGB

7- quality of eating and speed of recovery is better and faster with MGB compared to sleeve

Oh and I forgot to mention. Theoretically, MGB should cause less dumping syndrome compared to RNY.. However, I did experience what very much seemed like dumping syndrome from Protein shakes (0 sugar 0carbs) tried different brands and all had the same effect on me. So dr advised to stay away from all forms of Protein Shakes and I have been feeling much better ever since.. It's strange that the Protein shake caused those symptoms because dumping syndrome is mainly cause by eating sugar

I'm an original band patient (2007) then revised to sleeve (2013) and MGB April 2014 so I'm 1 year 1 month post op. I'm very happy with my MGB, I haven't had any issues with malaborption so far and I'm honestly not great with my Vitamins. I take a couple one a days and B12 when I remember it. My bypass is around 9' and I was only 189 the day of surgery. Dairy and high sugar give me TERRIBLE gas and high fats make my dump but really everything I eat goes through me pretty quickly. I'm happy to answer any questions.

I LOVED my band, still miss it a lot of times as far as never feeling hungry and literally being unable to eat. I unfortunately got to the point where I was worried about the long term effects and the constant heart burn was frustrating. I've had three procedures and will never be sorry I had the band or what it did for me..it was I guess you could say a love/hate relationship lol

I'm an original band patient (2007) then revised to sleeve (2013) and MGB April 2014 so I'm 1 year 1 month post op. I'm very happy with my MGB, I haven't had any issues with malaborption so far and I'm honestly not great with my Vitamins. I take a couple one a days and B12 when I remember it. My bypass is around 9' and I was only 189 the day of surgery. Dairy and high sugar give me TERRIBLE gas and high fats make my dump but really everything I eat goes through me pretty quickly. I'm happy to answer any questions.

Ahh it's a relief to hear about people who are doing really well. Sugar sometimes cause me to dump and others it's fine. Haven't tried high fat food yet but dairy and cheese I can tolerate well it was Protein shakes that caused the worst dumping. I'm sorry do you mean your bypass was 9 feet?? That's around 2.7 meters.. Isn't that a lot!!!! I only had 1.8 meters that's around 5 feet.. I'm glad your not having problems with your labs because malnutrition was really what was scaring me out of all this.. That's reassuring, I hate taking anything chewable and chalky and I definitely hate having to take my Vitamins several times per day..

Thank you . All the information is very helpful. My daughter had a band 4 years ago - dreading telling her that bands are no longer being used . Fortunately she has had no problems and has lost 6 stone .

Bands are still used.. Only it's getting less and less used.. :).. Wow 6 stones is a lot of weight.. Well done.. I only have to lose 3.5-4 stones .. Anything extra and I will be under weight

Ahh it's a relief to hear about people who are doing really well. Sugar sometimes cause me to dump and others it's fine. Haven't tried high fat food yet but dairy and cheese I can tolerate well it was Protein shakes that caused the worst dumping. I'm sorry do you mean your bypass was 9 feet?? That's around 2.7 meters.. Isn't that a lot!!!! I only had 1.8 meters that's around 5 feet.. I'm glad your not having problems with your labs because malnutrition was really what was scaring me out of all this.. That's reassuring, I hate taking anything chewable and chalky and I definitely hate having to take my Vitamins several times per day..

Yes my bypass is close to 9', with revision from sleeve it is usually recommended (by dr. Rutledge) to go longer on the bypass and leave sleeve pouch alone.

@@Band07

Wow, so I'm just thinking, if you're bypass was 9' and you are still doing so well nutrition wise, then at a 5' bypass I shouldn't have a problem either.. Well at least that's what I hope for

Right and good chance you will have less horrible bathroom issues and chances of dumping as well :)

You all should go check out the forums at bariatricfacts dot org. Just remember that docs are in sales just like a car salesman and most won't sell you something they don't do so be careful and do your own research thoroughly. I'm a Molina band revision to sleeve revision to DS this Thursday and I'll be resleeved to reshape the tummy also.

Sent from my PhabulousPhablet!

I am sure you've had your operation by now, but after some 9 years of research i narrowed it down to MGB. The second place choice was DS, but its a very complex operation and your pooo and farts will clear the room. Also with DS you MUST take your vites or you will die. MGB is simple op and can be reversed and revised becz you keep your stomach.

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

This is really good to hear. I am 5'4, 186 and converting sleeve to MGB. I hear that some loose too much weight. How are you today and what is your current weight.