Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was restricted to walking only for four weeks, and then my restrictions were lifted.

Your team should give you guidelines on what is appropriate for your situation.

My surgeon told me before being discharged from the hospital that moving will help promote healing, so I could start walking or light cardio as soon as I was comfortable, but no lifting or abdominal exercise for at least 4 weeks. I'll find out at my next appt if I am cleared for that now (I'm a little over 3 weeks post-op). Also, to listen to my body. If anything starts to hurt, stop.

I started riding my recumbent bike 5 or 6 days post-op, but could only do 10-15 minutes at a time at a slow pace since I was so tired. By 2 weeks, I was back up to my normal pace and going for 45-60 mins (usually 10-12 miles).

My dr told me 4 weeks. Which will be hard because I've always gone to the gym

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My restrictions were lifted after 6 weeks post op

I was back at the gym a week later just walking by my third week I was back to my normal workouts 5 days a week which include, treadmill, cycling, weights and Water aerobics, Zumba water aerobics. Just start out slow. My one incision was healed by the end of week 2 and you can't even see it so that was also a factor in me kicking my workout up plus my dr was cool with it. You know your own body so only you can be the judge.

My surgeon tells all his patients 4 weeks. Being 28 I was def ready earlier but started light lifting about 3.5 weeks out. But like someone else mentioned, start slow and listen to your body.

Edited by JT1230

My surgeon had me restrict lifting for six weeks post op. During that time I walked daily, several times a day. As soon as my six weeks were up, I joined the gym.

I've been walking every day for an hour since surgery. It's been a week. Will start my cardio and weight training when I'm given the green light. Walking has really helped me with healing and all that trapped gas!!

I believe it was when I was 14.

Oh....post-op? Gotcha. Sorry.

I didn't wait long enough......because I'm a stubborn dumbarse. Doc said for his wls patients he's all good with walking immediately.........two weeks on sex.......a week or two on returning to normal jobs......and a month on lifting any weights. This was said in group setting. I heard "immediately" and "sex" and I thought I was all good and ready for action as soon as the IV lines came out.

Dumbarse.

He also repaired a umbilical hernia during my sleeve surgery. He'd cautioned me to take it easy and let it heal.

Evidently I didn't because I'm 7 months out and the hernia repair is shot. I did some stuff in the gym Sunday night that really screwed it up. Such an idiot.

I'll get to spend the last three weeks of this calendar year healing from yet another repair if I can hold out that long. That's the next break in my work schedule that will allow for some post op healing.

I'm an idiot sometimes......much of the time......okay I'm stupid on occasions.

My best advice is listen carefully to your surgeon during a consult with you and only you. Get their instructions as they apply to your situation.

I believe it was when I was 14.

Oh....post-op? Gotcha. Sorry.

I didn't wait long enough......because I'm a stubborn dumbarse. Doc said for his wls patients he's all good with walking immediately.........two weeks on sex.......a week or two on returning to normal jobs......and a month on lifting any weights. This was said in group setting. I heard "immediately" and "sex" and I thought I was all good and ready for action as soon as the IV lines came out.

Dumbarse.

He also repaired a umbilical hernia during my sleeve surgery. He'd cautioned me to take it easy and let it heal.

Evidently I didn't because I'm 7 months out and the hernia repair is shot. I did some stuff in the gym Sunday night that really screwed it up. Such an idiot.

I'll get to spend the last three weeks of this calendar year healing from yet another repair if I can hold out that long. That's the next break in my work schedule that will allow for some post op healing.

I'm an idiot sometimes......much of the time......okay I'm stupid on occasions.

My best advice is listen carefully to your surgeon during a consult with you and only you. Get their instructions as they apply to your situation.

oh no! will you have to have another hernia repair?

Without a doubt.

This will make numba four in that area.

My abs are full of suck and weakness it would seem. They simply couldn't stand up to the awesomeness of the spectacular beer gut I'd built....one stein at a time.

I swear.......if I can ever get a properly healed abdomen then I will do yoga and other core work to tighten up the house that Budweiser built. Abs of steel? Probably never have those. At least I can abs of tin. Tin like the underpinning you see on mobile homes.........but only in the upscale local trailer parks.

Abs of tin.

My goal.

Without a doubt.

This will make numba four in that area.

My abs are full of suck and weakness it would seem. They simply couldn't stand up to the awesomeness of the spectacular beer gut I'd built....one stein at a time.

I swear.......if I can ever get a properly healed abdomen then I will do yoga and other core work to tighten up the house that Budweiser built. Abs of steel? Probably never have those. At least I can abs of tin. Tin like the underpinning you see on mobile homes.........but only in the upscale local trailer parks.

Abs of tin.

My goal.

You win for the most amusing post of the day. I love your attitude! If I can recover from giving birth to so many kids, you can do this too! even if we never make it to abs of steel! The human body has an awe inspiring ability to heal, doesn't it? I look forward to hearing your progress.

You win for the most amusing post of the day. I love your attitude! If I can recover from giving birth to so many kids, you can do this too! even if we never make it to abs of steel! The human body has an awe inspiring ability to heal, doesn't it? I look forward to hearing your progress.

Thank you.

It is a mighty good thing that men aren't entrusted to the calling of childbirth. We are good at building stuff, tearing stuff up, killing stuff and grilling stuff.

Labor pain????? Nope. It'd be a sparsely populated planet.

And as to hearing my progress..............know that it sounds like a lot of grunting and groaning.....not the good kind, either....but the wimpish, whiny way that's fueled by icy hot and tiger balm and ace wraps. It doesn't take much for me to call it "progress" as I'd set the bar damn low from the start.

All is well, though, and I appreciate every day above ground and living life.