Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bad needle pain with fills?

I am hoping to be banded soon and was just curious how bad the needle pain is with fills? Its funny because I am not afraid of the surgery or giving blood but straight needles going into my stomach kind of freak me out. So in your opinion, how bad does it hurt when they stick you and how long does it take for the actual injection? Thanks!

To be honest, the first fill and the one I just had last month hurt the worst, but even then, it just feels like a pinch and the whole "procedure" takes about 1-2 minutes, 3 if the doc gives me a band aid. The whole needle thing freaks me out, but I don't look. I just lay back, close my eyes, and relax.

Hi, I was banded in Dec. 2006 and get my fills every 6 weeks. The first time they gave me a shot to deaden the skin so I didn't feel the stick from the fill. I actually think that shot hurt worse. Ha!! I don't mind the stick at all. It's so quick. The doctor locates the port, then has me sort of do a sit-up and he sticks the needle in and fills the tubing. It truly is not bad at all and it's worth it.

I'm needle-phobic, and this really isn't a big deal. Little pinch as the numbing injection goes in, some pressure and then there's this big thing hanging out of your skin. Strange. Drink some Water, squirt some saline, it's over. The strangest part for me is the sensation when the doc removes the big needle. It kind of tugs my port. Nothing painful, just strange.

When I had my flourofill I was so fascinated by the images on the screen that I didn't even notice the sensations. :confused:

I had one where his asst. tried I think fill #5 and it hurt because she poked me 6 times but Dr. Curry hits him the first time every time and he sprays this numbing spray the whole time the needle is in which is just for a second or 2 and I never feel a thing. I swear it doesn't hurt.

I had a really bad time with my first fill! I almost past out. The pain was rediculus! and I have a high pain tolerance. I was so nervous about getting another fill I waited an extra 3 weeks. I wasn't loosing and had to force myself to eat correctly waiting to get the fill.

I went in for the second fill on Valium and asked for the lidocaine this time (and even put a towel over my head so I couldn't watch). I don't have a problem with needles...but I'm totally with you the whole needle in the abdomen freaks me out!

In anycase the second time went much smoother. I think I could even do it again this time without the Valium. I will however be getting the lidocaine to numb the area and HIGHLY recommend this. As well as DON'T LOOK!!!

Good luck it's not that bad. I can say that now!

Wow, I am surprised to hear so many people who had pain. It was literally no pain for me. If there was pain I honestly don't even remember (and I had my first fill today!!) The needle is intimidating but doesn't hurt, seriously. You'll probably laugh after they put it in and you realize that you had truly nothing to be afraid of. I did!!

I was so freaking out when I had my first fill done. I had read where some people felt nothing and others had tons of pain. Well this didn't do me any good as I have a HUGE fear of needles. Tell me I am getting a shot and I will start crying before the doctor is in the room to give me the shot. Yup total baby, but I have had some bad experiences with needles so I think I am justified. ;)

Anyway, I went in for my first fill and it was so NOT a big deal. The firstt hing I said when I walked into the room was can someone please hold my hand and of course they agreed. They had me lay down on the table and cleaned the site with an alcohol swab. Then they found the port site. One woman held my hand while the other proceeded to do the fill. She talked me through the hole thing. She told me when she was going to put the needle in and I hardly felt anything. A tiny little pinch. I didn't believe the needle was in. Then they had me drink something and then lay back down and she said she was going to pull the needle out. That was a weird sensation. I felt some pulling and a little pinch again. It was like my port was being tugged on but it didn't hurt at all. Then it was over and I was like wow that was so not a big deal!

I haven't gotten a fill yet, but I'm expecting it not to be too big of a deal (even though I am BEYOND ridiculously scared of needles) because I am completely numb since my surgery around my port area. I posted about it and discovered I'm not at all the only one. So perhaps you'll be lucky (I guess you can call it that) and will be numb around the port.

Mine have been no big deal at all. No numbing, just the needle stick and done. In fact, I've gotten a lot more comfortable with needles and shots in general after a handfull of fills. I had a cortisone shot in my hip yesterday, realized I wasn't concerned at all. I've been desentitized I guess!

I have a horrible needle phobia and I can honestly say it doesn't hurt when done right. I had a big experience initially and ended up getting my first fill from a different doc. She sprayed something cold over me to numb the area, which was perfect to me b/c I didn't want a needle to numb the area. I felt absolutely nothing other than a weird pressure.

You'll be good. Good luck with everything.

I too am needle phobic. I CANNOT watch any time a doctor puts in a needle in me. Heck, I can't even watch it on TV when I know it's not real. All I felt was a "pinch". Very minor ;) Though it obviously depends on who's doing it. Look around the fill doctor board and see if whomever is doing yours is listed.

Thanks to all who responded! It is nice to hear of others that are afraid of needles. Its funny that I am not really afraid of the surgery but I am afraid of a needle in my stomach lol. It is a small price to pay for the benefit the lap band will give me. I just wondered what everyones experiences were. Thanks again! *Trisha*

all my fills were painless. dr.huacuz did all my fills. no problems. but, i had some fill taken out in the er once, and that was a nightmare. they didnt know what they were doing. stuck me 5 times. hurt like the dickens. then they called a radiologist in and he took out my fill in catscan. he did a great job, but he had experience doing lapbands before. so good to have plan for your fills. its no big deal for me to drive to Tijuana for mine. but if you have an emergency, you need a plan. so ask your doctor about that. im going to get another fill but im waiting a while to rest my esophogus. i puked too much. yuck. dont worry it isnt that bad.

I have had 3 fills and have not had ANY pain with them. The 1st one was the scariest because the needle looks so darn intimidating.

I would rather get a fill than even have my finger pricked to be checked for Iron.