Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was able to eat chicken and steak by week 2. Very small amounts. No issues. I remember certain vegetables, like asparagus and broccoli and salads were irritating the first few months. I had very bad reflux month 2, so had to dial back solid food for a few weeks then.

I was able to eat chicken and steak by week 2. Very small amounts. No issues. I remember certain vegetables, like asparagus and broccoli and salads were irritating the first few months. I had very bad reflux month 2, so had to dial back solid food for a few weeks then.

Did you have reflux earlier in the process too, or did it not start until month 2?

Did you have reflux earlier in the process too, or did it not start until month 2?

Yeah, I'd be interested to know that too. I haven't had reflux yet and I'm wondering if it's a delayed onset thing?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My first few weeks were not too bad. I was very nauseous in the mornings. And as long as I had a very small dinner early in the evening I was ok. I remember having a lot (a lot!!!!) of gas those weeks. But week 4 I developed brutal reflux that lasted about 3 weeks. A few good nights if I skipped dinner but that was not sustainable. I had only been instructed to take 20mg of omneprazole but doctor upped it to 40 mg which helped some. Propping my pillows helped too. By end of month 2 or so it would only happen if I ate after 7pm or had too much dinner. I wish I had kept a food diary to track what made the reflux worse. But I do believe some foods were worse than others.

Edited by jansluv

I've been feeling great. I'm 5 pounds down which I hoped would be more by week 2 but at least I'm down something.

I was at the beach 2 days ago and forgot to pack a lunch so I had some of my friends fries BIG MISTAKE I had a stomach ache all day/night which was nice because it was a wake up call.

Besides that I stopped all meds because I haven't needed them. I'm debating now if I should continue with the reflux meds at least for a few months so I don't get it.

@@michelleg46 - yes, I have thought about discontinuing (or lessening) my PPIs, as well, since I have not had any reflux. But I'm afraid that they are the reason that I have not had it, and that I will regret it if I stop one or both doses. ;-) Not sure ... we shall see. But glad to hear you're doing so well - that's great! Just stay the course and the weight will follow. :-)

@@Wayward Traveler yeah, I'm not keen to stop my daily 40mg of Esomeprazole, the doctor said to stay on it for the six months and (I think) aside from treating any possible symptoms it can also act as a preventative for ulcer formation (which we would be susceptible to with the balloon constantly irritating our stomachs - or at least that is my understanding).

While I haven't had reflux as I know it - the burny, vom in throat kind - I do wonder if my (very) mild discomfort these past two evenings is perhaps a small manifestation. Last night and tonight I attempted to 'up' my Protein by following my tasty but not terribly nutritionally valuable

pumpkin Soup (150ml) with a strained chobani yogurt (150ml). I ate each over the course of 30 min with 30 minutes between, but tonight I still have this fullness behind my sternum and a feeling in my throat like I've got a big pill stuck there. Not terrible, certainly not enough to effect sleep or something... I wouldn't call it reflux because it doesn't burn, but maybe it is?