Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I'm living incognito regarding my WLS (long story, see other posts).

Anyway, I'm back at my summer home, 90 lbs lighter than when I left and dealing with answering a million questions without actually telling the truth (my latest response to the question about how I lost some much weight is "I went to a doctor and did exactly what they told me to do").

I was an event Friday night with passed heavy appetizers (my fav) and the first thing to come by was a mini burger/slider. I grabbed one (planning on having it for my entire dinner) and a skinny friend shrieks out "that's on your diet?" And then gave me a shocked look.

I guess it will pass, but kind of crummy and definitely ruined my meal (I took one bite and threw it away).

I suppose people expect me to eat grapes and carrot sticks!

Oh well...

Edited by Cape Crooner

It has been hard for me to wrap my mind around seeking Protein (even if it's a "burger") over "diet" foods like carrots and grapes and I'm sure it's even harder for someone who doesn't understand what we are going through. I, too, hate to hear anyone comment on what I am eating. I about jumped down a nosy coworker's throat when she questioned the black coffee I was drinking five months out from surgery . [emoji35]

@@Cape Crooner

Just say you are doing high Protein low carb and small portions over all. I am not telling about my surgery either but people have seen me have shakes before or stay away from carbs etc.

Congrats on 90 lbs... It's none of their business, keep doing what you are doing!

You can tell them you are on a ketogenic diet which has low carbs, high Protein, and moderate fats.

Sent from my SM-G360T using the BariatricPal App

Y'know ... in your shoes I'd not feel like I had to explain anything to anybody -- not how you lost weight, not which foods you think are healthy to eat and why, what you weigh now, how much weight you've lost -- nada.

We cannot fix stupidity, people with bad manners, nosy parkers, or bigots. And the older I get (I'm 70 years old), the less those folks actually bother me.

Just smile, shake your head, and think (if you're too polite to say it out loud), "Bless your heart."

And congrats on becoming so much healthier and enjoying your life. :)

I have a nosy but well meaning co-worker who took way too much liberty in watching me and asking questions. I know it was just curiosity and it's absolutely lessened over the years to the point that she says nothing anymore as there's no reason to. I've been at goal or below for more than two years. There are people I've met who don't know me any other way...and for those who remember me fat, they are starting to forget that person...which is a relief to me.

Take away story on this is that those types of remarks will lessen over time as your weight loss will not be the hot topic it is now.

hey - *you* are the one who lost 90 lbs, not her. I'd say you're the expert here. She has no business opening her trap. Those kinds of comments really tick me off!

My Dad knows I had surgery and still asks how my "diet" is going. I tell him I'm not on a diet. Mom "gets" it but he is still confused. I try to explain but just accept that he is well meaning and move on.

Anyway, I'm back at my summer home, 90 lbs lighter than when I left and dealing with answering a million questions without actually telling the truth (my latest response to the question about how I lost some much weight is "I went to a doctor and did exactly what they told me to do").

I was an event Friday night with passed heavy appetizers (my fav) and the first thing to come by was a mini burger/slider. I grabbed one (planning on having it for my entire dinner) and a skinny friend shrieks out "that's on your diet?" And then gave me a shocked look.

I guess it will pass, but kind of crummy and definitely ruined my meal (I took one bite and threw it away).

Oh well...

Why do you allow ignorant people to ruin your day? You need to grow some thick skin, my friend.

My skin is plenty thick. The issue is what's going through my brain and recalling all I've been through trying to lose weight for the last 50 years.

I know my friend meant no harm, it's just that skinny people have never walked in our shoes.

My daughter had anorexia years ago and I recall how anything anyone said about what she was eating would send her into a fit.

I think that's kind of what's happening to me...

I have a nosy but well meaning co-worker who took way too much liberty in watching me and asking questions. I know it was just curiosity and it's absolutely lessened over the years to the point that she says nothing anymore as there's no reason to. I've been at goal or below for more than two years. There are people I've met who don't know me any other way...and for those who remember me fat, they are starting to forget that person...which is a relief to me.

Take away story on this is that those types of remarks will lessen over time as your weight loss will not be the hot topic it is now.

I have one (or 2) of those co workers as well... I am surprised they didn't catch on yet to my liquid diet right now... But I am sure I will have to deal with same thing once weight will start coming off especially being gone for couple of weeks.

Oh well...

Why do you allow ignorant people to ruin your day? You need to grow some thick skin, my friend.

My skin is plenty thick. The issue is what's going through my brain and recalling all I've been through trying to lose weight for the last 50 years.

I know my friend meant no harm, it's just that skinny people have never walked in our shoes.

My daughter had anorexia years ago and I recall how anything anyone said about what she was eating would send her into a fit.

I think that's kind of what's happening to me...

I definitely didn't mean that in a snarky way. :D

Seeing other people lose weight and get healthier brings out the beast in many. My answer? I tell them to suck it. ;)

@@LipstickLady, I don't think he should "suck it". I suppose I would have been happier if he'd said nothing, but he's just saying what he's thinking and I've heard many other good friends make similar comments.

None of them have ill will in their hearts, they simple don't understand what we've been going through.

That said, I'm thinking of some wiseass answer to come back with, something like "actually, I'm so sick of talking about my Weightloss that I'm trying to put 20-30 lbs back on."

Might work...

@@LipstickLady, I don't think he should "suck it". I suppose I would have been happier if he'd said nothing, but he's just saying what he's thinking and I've heard many other good friends make similar comments.

None of them have ill will in their hearts, they simple don't understand what we've been going through.

That said, I'm thinking of some wiseass answer to come back with, something like "actually, I'm so sick of talking about my Weightloss that I'm trying to put 20-30 lbs back on."

Might work...

I am so bored talking about my diet, let's talk about YOUR'S!! :D

It has been hard for me to wrap my mind around seeking Protein (even if it's a "burger") over "diet" foods like carrots and grapes and I'm sure it's even harder for someone who doesn't understand what we are going through. I, too, hate to hear anyone comment on what I am eating. I about jumped down a nosy coworker's throat when she questioned the black coffee I was drinking five months out from surgery . [emoji35]

These comments people make about the food we eat really brasses me off. Do we ever comment on what they eat?? [emoji34][emoji34]