Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Should I Be Doing

So I have almost all my Pre Op Procedures done. I have 3 More Weigh ins. Dietician, Support Group Meeting and Psych Eval. Hoping for Surgery in August.

I haven't really been giving much thought to it at all though. Just saying Okay Surgery is in AuGustm.

I feel guilty like I should be mentally preparing or doing something but I'm not. I'm carrying my life as if it's regular day. Maybe it will hit me a few weeks before the surgery date

Any advice?

I also am looking at August if all goes well . I have most of my pre op procedure appointments made . I do think about it every day , but I feel so uneducated . Maybe as all of my procedures are completed I will have a much better understanding of this whole journey

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I believe you should start going to as many support groups as you can.

Such meetings are invaluable for information gathering. Take time to get to know the other pre-ops. Talk to the post-ops about their journeys.

Don't just ask about the weight loss and the how great it is to go shopping. Take enough interest to ask them to share the "rough times". Those experiences are the ones that you NEED to hear about. Hearing about the "bumps" in the road will keep you from being caught off guard. You will learn what to expect and can be "armed" and ready to face it if it happens to you.

Often times, at support group meetings there will be a guest speaker such as a plastic surgeon, an exercise coach, a bariatric cook book author, etc.

Also, many times Protein shake samples/drinks--other bariatric supplies are given out.

Other groups offer clothing exchanges which you will learn to appreciate as you rapidly go from size to size--never staying a one size long enough to wear anything out.

I hope I have offered enough examples of the good stuff that going to support group meetings can bring your way.

Besides, most programs mandate going to at least two support group meetings before surgery.

I am 5 years out and I still go to one monthly.

Go . You just may enjoy it.

In the months before surgery I:

- Started an exercise program to get in better shape

- Eased off of caffeinated beverages

- Attended support group meetings

- Spoke to some post op folks after the support group meetings to see what their experience had been

- Read all of the materials that I had been given, including meals by phase after surgery

- Arranged for support after surgery for things like getting someone to walk my large dog for a few weeks

- Stocked cabinets with enough food for about two weeks after surgery

I would recommend 2 things.

1. Walk every day for 30 minutes from now on. It will dramatically improve your recovery period and reduce the amount of pain from the surgery.

2. Go cold turkey on caffeine and carbonated beverages. I gave up my 6 diet Coke a day habit at the start and lost 20 pounds on that change alone. When I went cold turkey on caffeine, I suffered from a week of deep withdrawal syndrome consisting of severe headaches and body aches. Since you have to give these up for the surgery anyways, it is better to get this done and over with as soon as possible. You do not want to compound the effects of surgery with the caffeine withdrawal syndrome.

I totally agree with everything said here below. If I could go back before I had my surgery I would have joined or found a support group sooner than when I did, and started to weaning off of the bad eating probably a good 4 to 6 weeks before the liquid diet phase. I mean I did cut back on a lot of eating a few months before the surgery and wound up dropping about 40lbs before I started my liquid diet, I still think I could have done more to both help with recovery and to be more mentally prepared for what it was I was truly getting myself into. Support groups and/or therapist to help with the emotional stuff is going to be key. Even if you aren't emotional now, all the chemical changes your body will start to go through will give for a higher probability of you going though some serious emotional changes such as depression, and anxiety. Anxiety especially when it comes to eating foods again.

In the months before surgery I:

- Started an exercise program to get in better shape

- Eased off of caffeinated beverages

- Attended support group meetings

- Arranged for support after surgery for things like getting someone to walk my large dog for a few weeks

Another issue is I smoke cigarettes and still have not quit :(

You definitely need to quit. I know my surgeon would not operate on anyone who had not quit and was committed to staying smoke free.

I disagree about going cold turkey on caffeine and carbonation. You have time to wean yourself off of both gradually without going through the hell of cold turkey.

Another issue is I smoke cigarettes and still have not quit :(

They most likely will not do your surgery if you haven't quit smoking. I believe you need to be 90 days without a cigarette. You gotta do it - you've already gone through so much to get the surgery - don't let this be a barrier!

I agree with the carbonated beverages and caffeine. I have cut down a lot since my consultation. I have just completed my second weigh in and I would say I am drinking less than half that I was drinking. I am a huge Diet Coke addict so this probably just as hard as quitting smoking (thank god I don't have to do both) . But it definitely is not easy and if I did it cold turkey I probably wouldn't have any friends left :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

So I have almost all my Pre Op Procedures done. I have 3 More Weigh ins. Dietician, Support Group Meeting and Psych Eval. Hoping for Surgery in August.

I haven't really been giving much thought to it at all though. Just saying Okay Surgery is in AuGustm.

I feel guilty like I should be mentally preparing or doing something but I'm not. I'm carrying my life as if it's regular day. Maybe it will hit me a few weeks before the surgery date

Any advice?

Go with it. I was so ready to have surgery and move on with my life, I wasn't nervous until my actual surgery date. The only reason I was nervous on that day? I had to day goodbye to my kids and promise them I'd be home and just fine 2 days later. I was far more worried about them than me. I knew this was the key to my new life and all was well.

IGNORE!!! I just saw that I was in the men's room. SO SORRY.

I turned out fine. No reason to work yourself up needlessly.