Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do Most People have Side Effects with the band?

I am curious about something. I was just banded 2 weeks ago and don't get my first fill until September 10, but I want to prepare myself for what is to come. I realize everyone is different, but generally, are the side effects I am reading about typical (in some or all variations) to most, or is this something that there is a good chance won't happen. I understand I need to chew, chew, chew, and eat small portions but if I do that, is it still a foregone conlusion that bread is no longer an option in my life, I will get the PB, hearburn, throwing up and other side effects? I'm not looking for a guarntee but do these things happen to 99% of people, 50%, 20% of people? If these things do happen, do they tend to be daily occurances, or just happen in reaction to trying new foods etc. I'm not worried about it, after some of the nasty starvation diets I have tried a little slime and heartburn doesn't scare me...:):)! but I am wondering.

As you say, there are no guarantees, and no set stats to the questions you ask.

I can tell you in my case, I still eat everything except glazed donuts! I swallowed a bite too quickly and those 2 bites felt like they grew to the size of 2 dozen!!! I have never tried another! I have only PB'd one other time, and it was a piece of popcorn chicken as I was shopping in Walmart, I forgot what I was doing popped it in my mouth chewed a couple times and swallowed, as it went down my throat, I realized what I did!!! And sure enough it got stuck, and I was miserable! But in 15 months those were my only bad times really. I have had the golfball feeling where I ate too fast or too much, and it feels stuck in my esophagus---but when I walk a bit, and breath deep it settles down.

I take small bites, I chew well, and give each bite a few minutes to go down before taking the next bite. I learned to really pay attention to my body. When I get full, my nose feels kinda itchy, and like it wants to run---if I eat another bite, it turns to hiccups, and if I eat anymore, I am miserable!!! The bodies natural reaction to us overeating is to start sliming to try to help it pass. The body produces HUGE amounts of thick gooey saliva. So I think the runny nose is something to do with the whole mucus thing. It is called a soft stop, and most people have it if you will just pay close attention.

A big majority of banders do end up giving up bread. Bread tends to get into the stomach and ball up, and then as it breaks down it is full of gluten, and is very hard to pass. Toasting often helps, and I find it easier to say eat a sandwich than just a slice of bread. Well part of a sandwich! If I have meat and cheese, to help digest the bread it works better, than the bread alone.

Watching to make sure you are not overfilled when that time comes is the best way to avoid eliminating foods from your diet. You should be able to eat hard Protein without issue. If you can't you need less fill.

Go very slowly when introducing new foods, or foods with high Water content---fruits for instance, they tend to be something I have to eat very carefully. It is like drinking with food I think, it feels like the fruit floats---so I have to take tiny slow bites. If you go slow, and give each bite some time, you should be able to avoid a serious PB issue, and if one happens it should be minor.

Another thing to keep in mind is that these bands are fickle!!! One day you may be unable to eat something, and the next day it will be fine, or just the opposite, you may eat yogurt every day for Breakfast, and one day it will not work for you. It can be the same way from lunch to dinner! Why we suddenly have more restriction at some times, I have no idea, just be aware of how things feel as they go down and react accordingly. If it does not feel right, stop. You can always find something to eat later if you feel better, just don't ever push it----it WILL push back!!!

Welcome to LBT, and welcome to bandland! Hope all goes well for you!

Kat

Good ol' Kat! Ain't she the greatest? She said it all! :)

Thanks for the information Kat! I think that not forgetting I have the band and popping something in my mouth will be the biggest challenge for me -- though I assume the conseqence of a tough lesson or should solve that problem!

Thanks for the information Kat! I think that not forgetting I have the band and popping something in my mouth will be the biggest challenge for me -- though I assume the conseqence of a tough lesson or should solve that problem!

HA! Yeah, sometimes you have to get that lesson over and over and over again before it sinks in. Then two weeks later you have to start from the beginning! We have years and years and years of unlearning to do. It doesn't happen easily.

I'm new to this site and haven't been banded yet. I have read many of the threads old and new and have come accross many terms that are confusing to me:confused:. It would be great if someone could post a list of the common terms with their meanings. For example: PB, sliming, band slipage, band erosion. Also, maybe some examples of what the liquid diet and mushies consist of. At this point, I'm using this site to learn everything I can about the lap band. I'm soooo glad I came accross it and amazed at the amount of support that you all provide to each other.

I feel so informed and know that I have found the right place!

Thanks,

jenn:)