Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op for hippies & Pre-op for chickens

I'm scheduled for May 9th at OCC. I understand that they provide broths and popsicles and lots of meds but I have things that I either can't tolerate or won't ingest knowingly

My "can't" list- anything that smells or tastes of any sort of mint ( makes me barf in a big way), aspartame, and sucralose.

My won't list- MSG, fake cherry flavor, licorice tasting anything

So far my search for gasx strips is turning them up only in peppermint. Can I get away with mixed berry baby gas drops instead? Should I anticipate problems with any other meds?

Is there a fridge in the hotel rooms? I was planning to hit the Whole Foods in San Diego before meeting the van for stevia sweetened drinks and popsicles (if they exist) and I have some homemade broth concentrate I will bring with me.

Onto my pre-op fears: I'm really really afraid of needles, especially IV needles. I'm extra concerned because I'm a tough stick under the best of circumstances and I will have been without fluids for 8-10 hours prior to placement. Has anyone ever asked for and gotten topical lidocaine for their IV stick? Seriously- my IV fear is one of the things that caused me to put this off so long. I'm a 232lb ball of neurotic anxiety about this.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was a tough stick with IV's prior to wls, too.

Now....they can spot the vein they want to go for from across the room. Funny development. Veins are emerging all over my body.

I've had several surges to repair knees, ankle and hernias over the years. Misadventures each and all. I was doing stuff I enjoyed when the injuries occurred.......yet surgery resulted from my fun.

Somewhere along the way a surgeon ordered a pre-op sedative.....Valium.....for me to have the prescription filled prior to my surgery date and to take in the morning of my surgery as I'm getting ready and another dose for when I arrive at the hospital.

This worked so dang well that I request it every single time pre-op. Every time. Works like a champ. I arrive calm and ready to get stuck and on with the show.

If you are staying at the Mariott, there are fridges in the rooms, but they are pretty full of the mini-bar, for-purchase items. At least mine was. You might be able to request a room with an empty fridge? I don't know what type of sweetener is in the Popsicles at OCC or the hotel (they are different), but you could probably ask ahead of time about the OCC ones at least. All I know is the OCC ones were heaven!

Honestly it will be a miracle if you can manage your Water and 1-2 popsicles, bites of Jello, or sips of broth a day those first two days. I think you are overthinking it. You don't need to stock up on a bunch of stuff. You won't really have to start worrying about Protein and more "food" until you are back home.

I agree with @@JamieLogical, you aren't going to need much. I brought way too much with me for the hotel stay and found that all I could ingest until I got home was Water and herbal tea. My room had a fridge, I believe it was a Hilton. As far as the Lidocaine goes for your I.V., I didn't have to ask they just used it. Make sure to request it and let them know you are a hard stick and they will make the effort to keep you comfortable.

"A ball of 232 neurotic energy". Hehehe..... Ok I had my 2 second chuckle and now I'm done because I really and truly do feel for you because I really and truly do think you are freaking out!!!! But good news!!!! You had the 3 best people on this entire forum chime in with great suggestions so you don't even need to read anything else after this- so here is it is: As per Dub, ask for a Valium. If they know you are this anxious they will WANT to give it to you. Makes their job soooo much easier, your job a piece of cake. You take pill and nod and smile weakly, wake up with surgery done. Ta da! Per Jamie, the chance of you needing that stuff so soon are slim to none. If you can sip Water you will be doing great. Finally, Montana Girl confirms you won't need much, and suggests using your big voice to tell them you are a hard stick. Something you said at the end especially got me- your iv fear actually kept you from doing this. I get it but in a different way. The whole idea of giving birth to a person put ME off so much I almost adopted. Just. No. All. Of it. Nope. Well wouldn't you know I finally got over my fears, had 2 kids 18 months apart (and by c section no less- my biggest fear!) and i honest to god don't remember the actual procedure for either kid. Some people say that's sad. I say it's AWESOME!!! I think your mind has a way of forgetting the scary stuff and allows us to enjoy once in a while. And trust me.... You are going to enjoy this big time. Life is gonna change my friend! It's quite a ride but we are here and the results are so so so worth it. Wish I could be there to squeeze your hand. Here is a huh, ok? O. Be well.

Hug not huh. A hug. Now two hugs. O O .

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is that OCC gives you a happy pill prior to surgery to alleviate anxiety. I definitely wasn't caring about much by the time they took me into the OR.

I'm scheduled for May 9th at OCC. I understand that they provide broths and popsicles and lots of meds but I have things that I either can't tolerate or won't ingest knowingly

My "can't" list- anything that smells or tastes of any sort of mint ( makes me barf in a big way), aspartame, and sucralose.

My won't list- MSG, fake cherry flavor, licorice tasting anything

So far my search for gasx strips is turning them up only in peppermint. Can I get away with mixed berry baby gas drops instead? Should I anticipate problems with any other meds?

Is there a fridge in the hotel rooms? I was planning to hit the Whole Foods in San Diego before meeting the van for stevia sweetened drinks and popsicles (if they exist) and I have some homemade broth concentrate I will bring with me.

Onto my pre-op fears: I'm really really afraid of needles, especially IV needles. I'm extra concerned because I'm a tough stick under the best of circumstances and I will have been without fluids for 8-10 hours prior to placement. Has anyone ever asked for and gotten topical lidocaine for their IV stick? Seriously- my IV fear is one of the things that caused me to put this off so long. I'm a 232lb ball of neurotic anxiety about this.

Wonder if you could use Gripe Water for gas? It's used for babies gas in Canada

Sent from my D2206 using the BariatricPal App

Desiyah23 - are you going to OCC as well?

Thank you all for the suggestions and encouragement. I am somewhat calmer and completely determined to get through this. I almost feel like taking presents for the nurses with a translated tag that says " sorry for being a complete pain in the butt."