Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Medically Supervised Diet

So my insurance requires a 6 month medically supervised diet before my surgeon can submit for approval.

I am not sure what I was expecting but I have to say that what I am getting is not what I expected. Its just a class where the nutritionist talks about food, exercise, snacking etc. I feel like I should be getting more out of all of this. I see guys on here who loose a nice bit of weight pre-op, I have maybe lost 5 pounds since starting in January.

What was your insurance required diet like?

I also have the 6 mo supervised diet, I have already had 2 weigh ins. I started out at 267 lbs, and down to 251.2 as of rt now. 4 more weigh in to go

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

Oh and I just pretty much eat as if already had surgery. Protein first, then veggies, ect, ect...

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

Same as blue eyed. The did a RMR test and told me to eat this many calories and do 300 minutes of exercise a week. 64 oz Water and 50g Protein a meal

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Since my insurance specifically did not cover Bariatric surgery, I was a private pay and did not have to jump through the hoops like the supervised diet, the cardiac stress test, psych eval... that has been required by other people with insurance. Good luck @@SpeakerSpeaking

Our dr supervised WL class is nothing like it sounds lol. We are just told about the surgery, after surgery, what to expect, watch short videos, and a bit of nutrition advice...all by the NP who assists the surgeon,. Never once have i been told to lose weight. Tomorrow is my last NUT and dr supervised and then I should be submitted. My hubby was approved and will be sleeved on may 2. I need a band to sleeve revision and I am super worried that I wil be denied.

Oh and lucky us....we get to pay TWO surgeon copays of $200 each. Sheesh.

I had to pay a $450 fee that wasn't covered by Insurance. Made a payment toward it last mo., and went to pay more this mo. Was told to hold on to it till they decide by next mo what they were going to do. They said they may do away with it and pay back what we have already paid.

So my insurance requires a 6 month medically supervised diet before my surgeon can submit for approval.

I am not sure what I was expecting but I have to say that what I am getting is not what I expected. Its just a class where the nutritionist talks about food, exercise, snacking etc. I feel like I should be getting more out of all of this. I see guys on here who loose a nice bit of weight pre-op, I have maybe lost 5 pounds since starting in January.

What was your insurance required diet like?

Yeah, mine wasn't all that impressive either. Every month I had a weigh-in and usually met with somebody different to talk about what I was eating, any questions about the surgery, etc. I think I only met with the nutritionist twice during that time. At my initial consult though, my surgeon said to basically eat a small Breakfast (one egg and toast) and then eat Healthy Choice frozen meals for lunch and dinner. So that's pretty much what I did for six months. Just off of that I ended up losing about 40 or so pounds before the all-liquid pre-op diet 3 days before my surgery.

So yeah, the 6-month supervised diet was definitely not what I expected it to be. It was pretty much all up to me to do whatever it took to lose weight before the surgery.

Well....dangermouse it truly is going to be up to you. Yes most likely you will get a golden year of opportunity to lose weight and change your eating habits. Then , again .. That will be up to you and your commitment to really want to change your lifestyle. I think it is hard, but so worth it!

The weight did not come back on for me after surgery nine years ago.... And it took 2 years for me and my band to figure each other out. But I would do it again.

I'm just reminding all of us that it is a daily reality[emoji177]

Protein, Water. Exercise.

Repeat.

Please keep us updated!

Best of luck!

Ok, here is my take on this....

I was told I needed to take a 6 month supervised diet also....and I had to go for weekly weigh-ins, exams, and counseling..

Also using their products.

I had to pay out of pocket, and it got very expensive.

I asked why??? Why do I need this?

I was told, because your insurance wants it on record, that you have explored, and tried to loose weight by conventional methods,and FAILED!

I told them I have tried every diet under the sun....but bottom line, it was not documented, along with progress notes, charts and graphs, all signed off by a licensed MD

So I took the program, and I did try very hard to succeed...however, just like every other diet I have ever been on, I started out great...then cheated a little, then cheated a lot....and by the time the 6 months were up I failed miserably...

I did not plan it that way, but it did show that that is how it is for me....that's my M.O., and surgery is/was the only alternative left.

Proving surgery was a last resort.

So I commented that I am going to pay all this money just to show them it won't work?

My insurance told me I needed it, but I actually didn't. I just needed to see a nutritionist twice. Scheduled my surgery for first available time a few months later during spring break.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I went through a 6 month medically supervised weight loss program. I met once per month with my doctor specialized in weight loss. I kept a journal of what I ate. I attended a bariatric surgery support group meeting each month. And I exercised. So what did I learn.

First get off the caffeine and carbonated beverages at the get-go. I had a 6 diet coke habit prior to the program and lost 20 pounds on this change alone. Also cutting out caffeine from my diet through me in withdrawal syndrome which consisted of over a week of severe headaches and body aches. So since you have to give this up prior to surgery, I suggest you take that step now. Because you do not want to compound the effects of caffeine withdrawal and the effects of surgery. That is like a one two punch.

Next, walk 30 minutes each day. This is a really good habit because it dramatically improves your recovery process. I also walked as soon as they let me in the hospital. I took no pain medicine after I left the recovery room. I didn't need to because I had almost no pain. This was due to the walking.

Next, I paid a lot more attention to food label and at restaurants, I paid close attention to calories. As a result I cut out milk shakes at shake and Steak. But I also uncovered some meals with good Protein and minimal calories. Things like chili at Wendy's and crunchy tacos at Taco Bell. I avoided all you can eat buffets.

Oh and lucky us....we get to pay TWO surgeon copays of $200 each. Sheesh.

Be happy. My deductible is 4k

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App