Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A little food advice, please and thank you!

Happy Monday to all of you.

I could use a little advice and maybe some suggestions. I will be 4 weeks post op on Tuesday. I've done so well with healing including no problems with food, so I'm allowed to SLOWLY start incorporating "my new normal" foods into my diet. Actually, I was allowed to start last week. Wow my taste has changed so much. That's not what I consider to be the biggest issues.

My thing is is it takes me forever to figure out what I want then when I do figure it out, the smell makes me nauseas. On top of that, one day I could absolutely love something, so I'll go to eat it again and it's gross. Seriously?!?!?

I am to go no lower than 600 calories, but they'd like for me to get 800. Sadly, I'm lucky if I break the 500 mark and I know that's part of the reason I feel so drained.

Anyway, I spoke to my nutritionist. Her advice.....sometimes you have to go for ice cream, milkshakes, or basically anything filled with sugar, just to get those calories up. I understand why she said it, but I just can't seem to force myself to do it.

One thing I'm extremely pleased with is I have yet to crave all my normal "go to" foods, and I just really don't want to do anything that might trigger anything that could sabotage me early on.

So....did any of you have this problem, or know anyone that did, in order to offer a little advice?

I think your NUT is crazy. Ice cream, milkshakes & the like are slider foods and completely empty calories. Fat & sugar will either upset your stomach at best or cause dumping & sliming at worse.

Soft cheeses, cottage cheese, Peanut Butter, and greek yogurt are a much better choice. Instead of the 0% greek yogurt, go for the regular. Hell, have some guacamole, it's loaded with good fats. Drink whole milk for your Fluid intake.

Just do your best on getting quality calories, not just hitting the number. It will come in time.

Oh, almost forgot... hummus! It was OK before my surgery, now it is almost a daily part of my diet. Beans are really good for you.

I don't think I have experienced what you have to this extreme. There has always been something I could eat to get in my protein: tuna, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, Protein shakes. I would suggest that you try incorporating one new food at a time but still use the standbys to make sure you are getting in enough Protein and calories. Why eat ice cream when I could eat extra Greek yogurt or cottage cheese?

You may or may not go back to your previous "go to" foods. You are starting over with a new palate.

I would not do ice cream and milkshakes. If you can tolerate those at least do a Protein shake instead so there is some nutrional value and a lot less sugar. I ate a lot of hummus, fat free refried Beans with cheese melted on top, Greek yogurt mixed with 1/2 scoop of Protein powder), sugar free pudding snack (mixed with half scoop of protein powder), Soups, Laughing Cow cheese, pimiento cheese (yep cheese was and is still my friend). My tastes would change one day to the next sometimes. The easiest thing for me to do was plan out my meals for the day early in the day then I didn't have to think about what I wanted - I just ate what I had planned. Remember your job now is to fuel your body. It may not always be what you want but it can be what you need.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

Anyway, I spoke to my nutritionist. Her advice.....sometimes you have to go for ice cream, milkshakes, or basically anything filled with sugar, just to get those calories up. I understand why she said it, but I just can't seem to force myself to do it.

Really? This is not good advice! I don't know how she could even suggest this. :-( Getting enough Protein is more important.

Your nut is insane. Milkshakes and ice cream are a terrible idea. Your body has all the calories it needs packed away in the fat cells in your body. If you want to focus on getting your calories up, add a tablespoon of Peanut Butter or almond butter to a Protein Shake or some Greek yogurt.

This early on, I would agree with others that carbs is not the answer to getting your calories up. You can go for fats like cheese, nut butter, full fat dairy, and hummus for extra calories. The days of having to resort to carbs to up calories (I'm in those days now, training for a half marathon) are faaaaar ahead of you, if you ever even get there. Right now there are many healthier ways of getting your calories up.

Oh and PS - you need to find a new NUT

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

I agree with all of you. My NUT is crazy. I knew that from the beginning, but in doing her job, she calls to check on things and that was her advice. In all honesty my surgeon feels she is too, but she works for the hospital, not him so he can't do anything about it.

My most favorite things in the world prior was milk, cottage cheese, yogurt and tuna. Now....I just can't stand the taste. I've even tried humus. Seems like the only thing I liked prior, that I still find tasty is the laughing cow cheese.

I'm still drinking the Premier Protein choc shakes, but I can't handle the sweetness of the other flavors. I've also been drinking the Isopure Protein drinks that are in glass bottles. 160 calories, 40g of Protein, and very little carbs.

It's just frustrating because yesterday I made a black bean Soup. LOVED IT. Went for it today, and it was just so yucky. <----I might be 44, but I resort to my inner child when it comes to food. Lol

I never thought of just trying one new food at a time. Once it tried it, if I couldn't eat it I threw it out and found myself not wanting to eat the rest of the day. Then I'd go for something totally different the next day. There is that inner child again. :). But...maybe I'm just not giving it a fair go.

I just can't see how all the healthy things I once loved, I now find either the taste or texture leave much to be desired.

I'll keep chugging along and instead of all the low fat stuff, I'll go for the normal(good foods) and see if that makes a difference.

Heck if I made it past the severe depression I suffered 2 weeks post op, I know this too shall pass. I just hope it's quick. lol.

Thank you for all of your advice.

Ooh! I just thought of another thing! Mascarpone and fresh fruit! Oh man, that is a desert that I would shiv a NUT to get.

I agree with all of you. My NUT is crazy. I knew that from the beginning, but in doing her job, she calls to check on things and that was her advice. In all honesty my surgeon feels she is too, but she works for the hospital, not him so he can't do anything about it.

My most favorite things in the world prior was milk, cottage cheese, yogurt and tuna. Now....I just can't stand the taste. I've even tried humus. Seems like the only thing I liked prior, that I still find tasty is the laughing cow cheese.

I'm still drinking the Premier Protein choc shakes, but I can't handle the sweetness of the other flavors. I've also been drinking the Isopure Protein drinks that are in glass bottles. 160 calories, 40g of protein, and very little carbs.

It's just frustrating because yesterday I made a black bean Soup. LOVED IT. Went for it today, and it was just so yucky. <----I might be 44, but I resort to my inner child when it comes to food. Lol

I never thought of just trying one new food at a time. Once it tried it, if I couldn't eat it I threw it out and found myself not wanting to eat the rest of the day. Then I'd go for something totally different the next day. There is that inner child again. :). But...maybe I'm just not giving it a fair go.

I just can't see how all the healthy things I once loved, I now find either the taste or texture leave much to be desired.

I'll keep chugging along and instead of all the low fat stuff, I'll go for the normal(good foods) and see if that makes a difference.

Heck if I made it past the severe depression I suffered 2 weeks post op, I know this too shall pass. I just hope it's quick. lol.

Thank you for all of your advice.

Read labels carefully. Not everything "low fat" is a good choice. If it is low fat due to the addition of sugar, then steer clear. I don't avoid all fats, healthy fats are necessary.

Mascarpone!!!!! Holy crap why didn't I think of that?!?!?

I seriously just let down my heritage.

I've pretty much ricottad myself to death, so I'll pick some up today.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the advice and the much needed laugh!!

"Shiv a NUT" ....that cracked me up!!

BigViffer has some good thoughts. Since you need the calories, go for the full fat cheese, yogurt and milk. Avocado is good, so is Peanut Butter. Use a little olive oil in your cooking.

One of my kids has feeding and weight gain issues. I make sure to keep Greek yogurt with fat in it around just for him.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App