Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve or bypass? Please give me advice!

I'm having surgery in June and still can't decide between bypass and sleeve. I'm leaning slightly more towards bypass but I know sleeve is less invasive and less risky. A little about me I'm 24 and have about 250lbs to lose in realitively good health, I have pcos and a mild case of sleep apnea. Not on any medications currently. Loosing weight is incredibly hard for me I was on the clear liquid diet for 2 weeks and only lost 1 lb.... Any advice or opinion is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

What does your Surgeon, Nutritionist and Psych suggest? Mine asked about eating habits before recommending the sleeve. I don't tend to graze and don't often eat sweets. If I did - they would have recommended bypass. Good luck with your decision!

My surgeon recommended sleeve right off the bat without asking me any questions but only bc I think his practice is trying to do away with bypass altogether he said it was my decision tho and than proceeded to sell me like sleeve was a Mercedes saying they're the same thing except less invasive and less risky and less long term complications than bypass he also said that the weightloss rate is slightly higher with bypass but could have the same outcome with sleeve. My eating habits have of course improved during preop but before I struggled with over eating and poor food choices. I have a weakness for Mexican food and still find my self craving it daily and sometimes giving into it. Not a big sweet eater or a snacker.

I know when I went to the seminar the surgeon was saying the sleeve was similar to the bypass but I'm like u I don't know either even tho I have awhile before I get to where u are but I do believe that both is good and going to give u great results but the good thing is the sleeve is less time under the knife

Sent from my 5054N using the BariatricPal App

So if u eat a lot of sweets and so on the by pass is more suitable than sleeve?

Sorry I was asking that question?

That's what I was told. One reason is because other than the restrictive benefits it also has a malabsorption effect. It also has the added deterrent of dumping syndrome (worse than sleeve) with sweets.

The bypass only discourages sweets if you get dumping syndrome. Not everyone gets this. I initially wanted the bypass for that reason, and my surgeon left the decision to me, but I definitely felt he was pushing me towards the sleeve. Ultimately that is what I went with because of the malabsorption of Vitamins and minerals. I already have some issues with B-12 absorption. You lose weight slower with the sleeve, but my surgeon said at 2 years out the results were about the same.

I guess it came down to risking that I could never have another piece of Birthday cake if I had the bypass and was I really willing to accept that. I wasn't. I'm happy with my sleeve so far at 6 mos out.

See I'm ok with out bday cake or sweets in general and actually I kinda want the dumping syndrome so that if I ever do get that random urge for sweets I can't eat them. I want to give up bad foods for life not just for a few months then tell myself it's ok every once in awhile then that turns into the exact same eating habits I'm currently trying to break then I've gained weight and back where I started. I think the bypass will give me a better chance to keep away from the wrong foods longer but everyone I talk to says sleeve is the way to go bc it's less risky and less invasive. I don't want to make the decision to have the sleeve just bc I'm scared of the risks of bypass if bypass would be a better option for me.

Niki I am 4 days post op from by-pass and had the best recommended surgeon in Phx. He does not feel any risks difference between sleeve and bypass. I was only under the knife less than an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Niki I am 4 days post op from by-pass and had the best recommended surgeon in Phx. He does not feel any risks difference between sleeve and bypass. I was only under the knife less than an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm also in the phx area thanks that helps alot

I am almost done with all my requirements and will hopefully have a surgery date in June or early July. I had my mind set on the sleeve this entire time, but in reading some of the posts I am second guessing myself. Maybe go with bypass??? I am a terrible grazer and sweet addict once I get going. From what I have read, the bypass may be more of a reinforcement to help me get over these behaviors. I just am leary of rerouting my intestines if it's not necessary. Smh....anybody have any advice either way to help me make this decision? Thanks guys!!

Sent from my K010 using the BariatricPal App

I'm a sugar addict myself and I'm heavily leaning toward the sleeve, for a few reasons. With the sleeve, a very large portion of your stomach is removed from your body; that part of the stomach produces ghrelin, the "hunger hormone," so your appetite will be greatly reduced. I'm also not a fan of having my intestines rearranged and whatnot, to me the sleeve procedure seems much simpler. Also, I like that there's not as much trouble with malabsorption; the main reason I'm having surgery is to lose weight in order to have kids, and it just seems like being pregnant with a sleeve would be at least a little safer than pregnancy with a teeny little pouch, I'd worry about starving the baby :( I also have PCOS and have heard awesome things about the sleeve and PCOS, I've talked to women who have been sleeved and it's like the best thing they've ever done :) So yeah, unless the surgeon can convince me otherwise, it's the sleeve for me!

Sleeve is a great 1st procedure. You still have other secondary surgical options including doing a RNY after if you don't get the results you are going for.

Bypass does not leave any other doors open. There is no revision or 2nd procedure options there.

My sister did bypass 10 years ago and managed to stretch out her pouch (there is a ring or stoma that creates the pouch connection to the new intestine location.) Once you stretch the stoma ring...it won't unstretch.

With sleeve, you have a pressurized staple line the length of your stomach. It won't stretch out. The fundus (stretchy part of your stomach) is all or mostly removed during your surgery, so your restriction with a sleeve is permanent.

I went with sleeve because I didn't like the idea of rerouting my intestines and have seen that with deliberate bad eating, you can stretch the stoma with bypass.

Just a couple more points to think about as you make your decision. Good luck!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App