Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

High Protein Diet vs. Counting Calories?

I really, really, really hate counting calories! I've tried it before and it's just not for me. I don't like documenting what I eat or using My Fitness Pal because it gets to overwhelming and stressful at times. The one diet that worked for me in the past was a high Protein diet (kinda like the Atkins) and very low carbs. NO CALORIE COUNTING! I got sleeved 11 days ago and I'm trying to plan accordingly for when I'm ready to eat solids.

My question is... Has anyone tried something different, other than calorie counting and writing everything you eat, that works? I'm also planning to work out 5 days a week once I heal 100%.

I count Protein grams, and to do that I record every bite in My FitnessPall. Pre-op, I HATED recording my food going all the way back to when I started Weight Watchers as an adolescent and was forced to track my food on the refrigerator. I did use the Weight Watchers app pre-op to track points but switched to MyFitnessPal post-op because the points method did not track my protein.

Being on this journey and having an app (MyFitnessPal) has helped me to see the benefit to tracking: I am old, my short-term memory is shot, and I can't remember what I ate 10 minutes ago, so I have to track.

I don't track calories per se, but I do try to choose foods that have a higher nutrition to calorie ratio (especially focused on protein).

1200 calories of turkey breast is not the same as 1200 calories of Krispy Kreme donuts.

I don't count calories. occasionally I will do a "reality check" probably once a week, weigh things or measure - and add it all up, but I tend to have a pretty consistent diet and know I am "in range"

the thing that blows my mind is that I can only eat a small amount at a time and with all the walking I do, I have to make sure I am eating enough. that is crazy.

This is only my opinion but is backed by my medical team. I focus on Protein not calories but tracking is still critical right after surgery. I use MFP to track my protein intake to make sure I got enough. I don't know how long I will have to do it but when I don't track I notice my protein intake goes down.

My doctor and nutritionist wouldn't give calorie goals at all. They said not to get consumed but them but to make healthy choices and be sure to get around 80g of Protein daily. I use MFP to log, force of habit at this point....but concentrate mainly on the Protein goals and keeping the carbs on the lower end. It makes it less stressful!

My NUT I'd protein goal focused as well. I have t been given a calorie goal at this point. As long as I meet my protein goal they're happy at this point. That may change once I'm further out though.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I really, really, really hate counting calories! I've tried it before and it's just not for me. I don't like documenting what I eat or using My Fitness Pal because it gets to overwhelming and stressful at times. The one diet that worked for me in the past was a high Protein diet (kinda like the Atkins) and very low carbs. NO CALORIE COUNTING! I got sleeved 11 days ago and I'm trying to plan accordingly for when I'm ready to eat solids.

My question is... Has anyone tried something different, other than calorie counting and writing everything you eat, that works? I'm also planning to work out 5 days a week once I heal 100%.

I have NEVER measured food or counted calories since having WLS. I've never even seen a food tracking app like MFP. I felt the same way as you. If I wanted to do all that tracking I would have saved my money and just stayed on weight watchers or some other fad diet.

The only numbers I ever bothered with was getting 60-80g of Protein and at least 64oz of Water. I can keep a running tally of those in my head. I've basically just been a mindful eater. Protein and veggies first. Moderate fruit and whole grains. "white carbs" in low, infrequent doses, and only after I reached goal. I read labels to help make good choices. I don't count carbs and calories but I am aware of them.

I counted calories for a couple days when I was 3 months, 6 months and a year out just out of curiosity. But since passing goal and maintaining for over a year and a half I haven't bothered. I've never had a single clue what my carb or fat intake has been.

So yes, it is possible to do it without all the tracking.

My feelings exactly! Thank you for sharing

@@carolina07 BUT if the no tracking plan doesn't end up working for you, then by all means track! As you can see from all the posts, different plans work for different people. And you can change up your plan at any time. This WLS journey is yours and yours alone to succeed or fail at.

I focused on Protein and carbs, not calories. The only times I really ever count calories is when I'm trying to up my level of intake to try and acclimate my body to long-term maintenance levels, but even then, it's more about Protein, fat and carbs to me. I think it's helpful in that I focus on the nutrient density and content of food rather than a larger number that can be incredibly misleading.

I can eat a 100 calorie snack or a 250 calorie snack. But that shouldn't play into which one I choose. If the first has 15g carbs and 1g protein, I'm not gonna bother. If the higher calorie snack has 20g protein and 15g carbs, I'm going with that one.

Don't train yourself to make the right numbers. Train yourself to make the right food choices.

Or do whatever ;) Different strokes for different folks.

@@carolina07, I definitely hear you about not wanting to count calories. It can be boring, time-consuming, and kind of anxiety provoking.

If you follow your post-op diet instructions to the letter, you should be fine. If you stick to the recommended serving sizes, which are quite small, and stick to the foods that you’re allowed – that is, mainly low-calorie foods – then your calories will work themselves out just fine without tracking them.

There are a couple of warnings, though. One is that you really should measure your food so you know for sure that you’re sticking to the proper serving size. The other is that maybe it would be worth logging a couple of times so you can be absolutely sure you’re not accidentally sneaking in more foods than you think.

I also think it may be worthwhile to log calories every so often, even if it’s just once a week. That way, you can be sure you’re on the right track. It’s also good for when you have a plateau and you need to see if you’re still eating properly or if there’s something you need to fix.

As for a high-Protein diet, I think there would be similar issues. You’d have to make sure to choose lean Proteins and stick to the right serving sizes, and logging every so often can help you make sure you’re on track.

Then there is the long-term consideration. Can you keep up with a high-protein, low-carb diet for the rest of your life? Or would it be better to establish a healthy carb pattern now, while your surgery is recent, so you can keep it up forever?

You’ve gotten a lot of good advice and ideas here – including do what works for YOU! Good luck!

I follow Atkins type life style, i also still some use Protein shakes. GNCLean shake 25

Sent from my SCH-I535 using the BariatricPal App

Sounds like your a smart ladie :-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using the BariatricPal App

I don't count calories daily...

Not really anyway...

I do it once a week...

I load a day's worth of data into MFP, check all the appropriate info, then eat the same each day for five days (M-F)..

The reality of my 'diet' may vary by 100cal or so a day on occasion but the system works for me...

The idea of logging every day does my head in...

Of course, it can be tricky if there's a morning tea on at work or something...

But everyone there situation so it's rarely a problem...

My thought is that you've gotta do what works for you...

But do so in conjunction with your doctor...

My doctor and the majority of the doctors that I've talked to are calorie focus. Which is fine and I understand that is what works for most of their patients. For me, calorie counting and writing everything I eat is a nightmare! It stresses me out so I was curious to see if anyone had a different diet focus that worked for them and gave them the same results or better results. A high Protein diet (Atkins) worked for me in the past, but I wasn't sure if anyone one had tried his approach after having the sleeve done.

I'm not a fan of sugar-free products either. I like to eat real foods with no chemicals or ingredients that I can't pronounce I'm opting for an organic, free range, grass fed meats and stay away from chemicals as much as possible.

I am trying to adopt a more Paleo way of eating which I think will compliment my sleeve very nicely. Paleo's (from what I've read so far) believe that if you are eating nutritiously you won't have to worry about calories. Your body will let you know when you've had enough.

With that being said, I'm rather anal so I'll probably log for the first several months only to make sure I'm eating enough calories versus too much.

@@determinedtolive let us know how the Paleo goes. Since dairy, legumes and peanuts are off the list, there's no way I could do it. Greek yogurt, cheese, milk, whey-based Protein Shakes, Peanut Butter, tofu and soy are just too much of a staple for getting in my Protein. The dairy was especially important in the early days. Not to mention they are all the things I love. ;)

@@determinedtolive let us know how the Paleo goes. Since dairy, legumes and peanuts are off the list, there's no way I could do it. Greek yogurt, cheese, milk, whey-based Protein shakes, Peanut Butter, tofu and soy are just too much of a staple for getting in my Protein. The dairy was especially important in the early days. Not to mention they are all the things I love. ;)

I'm ok with not eating any of those things but have read a few websites that say if you can tolerate dairy then it's ok to eat in moderation. I'm not able to go full Paleo because I can't afford to feed a family of 4 nothing but grass-fed, organic foods. I decided I'm just going to try to eat as close as I can. Considering how I've been eating for most of my adult life, even eating as closely as possible will still benefit me tremendously.

I also think that if I can kick the crappy food before surgery, I'll have an easier time afterwards.

I dont count calories either.. I hate them it drives me nuts and it probably will make me binge eat again. I do either Atkins style high Protein and veggies only. unlimited coffeee teaa and Water that works for me and im like kindoffamiliar too.. i stick to the same thing (if it works dont fix it)... And it always works for me. Good Luck.. Your not going to be able to much anyway so stop stressing. i read somewhere that eat your best bite first which should be Protein than your veggies and 2 bites of starch if you can fit it. Im hoping not to be able to fit it lolol