Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am leaning more toward gastric sleeve over bypass but I just can't decide. I don't know anyone who has had either procedure and I'm about to lose my mind. Any thought?

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

research, research, research, attend some support group meetings, read many of the posts here -- talk with your PCP about what's best for YOU.

Good luck.

I chose the sleeve because I am on a lot of heart meds and they need to digest and release through the various stages. The doctor and I discussed this was what was best in my case. Research, talk talk talk to people.

I had the sleeve with zero complications. My mom had the bypass with lots but she had a LOT of of other health problems going into the surgery and has for her entire life. It depends a lot on what your goals are. There are less side effects with the sleeve for MOST people. However, the weight loss is also a lot less and a lot slower.

I am happy thus far with my sleeve. I have lost 86 lbs in 7.5 months. I'm approaching onederland and at this point I have zero nutritional deficiencies. BUT I wanted to lose 100 lbs in 6 months and I didn't. My BMI was 43ish and I wanted to get down to a BMI of about 23. I'm still going to go for it, but now I am thinking that it might be much more realistic to aim for 25 or maybe aim for 23 in 18 months and just aim to reach the 100 lb weight loss by the one year mark instead. We shall see.

Keep in mind that most sleevers only lose about 60-70% of their EXCESS weight (not their weight but their EXCESS weight). Most people that you see on here actually lose much more (but many of those who do not are not exactly advertising that fact on these message boards). So that means your excess weight is a BMI of 56-BMI 24(normal weight)= 32 (excess), and 70 % is 22, so your expected BMI would be about 33. My weight loss has slowed dramatically. I know that I need to step up my game in terms of exercise especially if I want to firm up and keep losing weight. Lots of people who have these surgeries gain weight back. Until I recently dropped the last 8 lbs, I was a bit panicked like - oh no, what if this is not just a stall but I actually start gaining the weight back? Well thankfully I'm not there yet, but its not because I'm doing all the right things really, its just because I'm kind of stressed right now.

I can tell you the few things I wish I had changed. I promised myself that I was going to start going to overeaters anonymous meetings right away, during my two week recovery from the actual surgery, but I didn't. I went to my first OA meeting at 6 months post-op. I would strongly advise you not neccessarily going to OA, but to START doing the work on your HEAD and your HEART that you need to do to start to HEAL them PRE-OP. Now I wish I had started going to OA and really tried to get a sponsor once my surgery was scheduled. I started therapy, it was a start, but it is not enough. And in all HONESTY the number one best thing I EVER did for myself in my entire life was to get this surgery. Once I did that I felt so empowered. But now life is taking over again. I am still the same me. I am better much better and I am NOT EVER GOING BACK, but make the most of the "honeymoon" period when you are rapidly losing weight regardless of which surgery you have. That is the best feeling in the world. Just making progress and being so proud of yourself. I have now lost my 70% of my EXCESS weight, BUT I want to lose so much more.

Talk to your doctor about what the right surgery for you is. Regardless of which surgery you have there are things you can do to ameliorate any potential side effects. I started taking tons of bariatric Vitamins for two months PRE-OP and extra Calcium and Iron (4 hours apart so they don't block the absorption) and Biotin.

Now at 7.5 months out I can now eat like a normal person. A normal skinny person that is. I canNOT eat anything like I used to, but if I went back to sugar and flour I definitely could put on weight again very quickly so except for the very occasional treat I stay far away from that stuff, but I can because I don't have a husband and kids around. Work candy would still get me but I bring tons of Protein bars to work so that when the work candy starts calling my name I have a Quest Protein Bar instead.

Regardless of what surgery you do, start doing what you need to do now to take care of YOU! Exercise can be a big part of it, but that has not exactly been my strongest point. I have a lot of work left on this journey. But honestly I still do not have a healthy way of coping with very difficult emotions. Good luck to you and regardless of which you choose JUST DO IT! You will be SO HAPPY that you did:-)

I am going to have the sleeve. My mom and sister both had the bypass. My mom 18 years ago and did great. She does have the carb dumbing/diarrhea. She also has a ton of gas and burping. Also she takes a ton of Vitamins through out the day. I personally think she has some issues with bone density as she has fallen and broken her wrist several times now. She also doesn't exercise or lift weights.

That being said, I am going to have the sleeve because I didn't the deficiency aspect of bypass. I also didn't want to deal with bathroom issues the rest of my life.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Just do your research. I am having the bypass because of the amount I need to loose, and also I have slight acid reflux that I wouldn't want to get worse from surgery. It all depends on you. See what your surgeon recommends.

I chose the sleeve due to less of a chance for malabsorption problems, dumping, malnutrition etc.

I don't have acid reflux either.

I have talked to my PCP, OBGYN, cardiologist and 2 bariatric doctors and they all said either one will work for me.(doesn't help) I have research all the info I just haven't spoken to people who have had the surgery. So that is why I am here. You guys are helping me tremendously. Thank u.

I have talked to my PCP, OBGYN, cardiologist and 2 bariatric doctors and they all said either one will work for me.(doesn't help) I have research all the info I just haven't spoken to people who have had the surgery. So that is why I am here. You guys are helping me tremendously. Thank u.

All of the above said the same to me...and the research is making me more Confused.

Sent from my SM-G920T using the BariatricPal App