Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beginning Walking Program

Hi All,

I am starting a walking program and I was wondering if anyone out there would like to join in. I figured it would be more fun and successful if I had a friend to do it with so if you are interested please let me know.I am thinking of doing a beginners program to get you walking 60 minutes in 12 weeks.

Do you have any guidelines for this walking program? I try to walk every day---I am always better with a challenge though!!!

Tell me more!!

Kat

I tried to post it from excel and it was a mess. :) So I will try to post it from word...here goes...

WEEK Day 1 Day 2 Day 3 Day 4 Day 5 Day 6 Day 7

1 15 min 15 min 20 min 15 min 20 min 15 min 20 min

2 15 min 20 min 20 min 15 min 20 min 15 min 25 min

3 15 min 25 min 20 min 15 min 25 min 20 min 25 min

4 20 min 30 min 20 min 20 min 25 min 20 min 30 min

5 20 min 30 min 30 min 20 min 30 min 20 min 35 min

6 25 min 30 min 30 min 25 min 30 min 25 min 40 min

7 25 min 30 min 40 min 30 min 30 min 30 min 40 min

8 25 min 30 min 40 min 30 min 40 min 30 min 50 min

9 30 min 40 min 40 min 30 min 40 min 40 min 50 min

10 30 min 40 min 50 min 30 min 50 min 40 min 50 min

11 40 min 40 min 50 min 40 min 50 min 40 min 50 min

12 40 min 40 min 60 min 40 min 60 min 40 min 60 min

Aloha

Great Job, thinking of walking program. I guess my DSW and I have gotten one going for us. We started out on the tread mill at 20 Min. per day, and have increased it 5min. per week. We just went to 45 min. today, WOW that was a killer, also while on the tread mill I increase the incline 1% every 5 min. and by the end your really working it. It is so much fun having my wife there by my side it really makes it easier.

Aloha and keep up the good work.

BWD

I am well into walking probably close to the hour each day---I love going in the early morning...going to miss it in the season change coming up!

I will be glad to be part of a walking thread though!!! If you don't have a pedometer, you might consider one, it is fun and encourages me to walk more! They say 10,000 steps a day is what you should shoot for!

I never have been able to get things to post over properly!!!

Kat

Awesome, I would love for you guys to share in the thread! I do have a pedometer and treadmill...just don't use them much. lol I am trying to change that! Hopefully there is someone out there just starting that can start out small with me. I don't think I could take off and start walking 45 mins to hour right off the bat. :faint:

LOL, I couldn't have either, I have a pretty good sized headstart on you!!!

Now imagine if you will, my Dad who is 74, he walks 5-6 miles every day! Not on a smooth track or treadmill, he walks in the hills---up and down---it is a hard hike up to these radio towers, 2 -3 miles from his house, and at least 3 times a week he walks to them! He has found hidden stashes of stolen goods, burned out cars, all kinds of things! He fell one day, when a rock rolled under his foot, and broke his leg----and crawled home!

I have to wonder with a Dad like that----how I ended up as fat as I did! But I am getting it off, and will walk with my Dad one of these days! I think I could handle the walk now....but he goes out by 5 every morning, he likes watching the sunrise....so I stick to walking around town. I deal with the occasional dog...he has had to deal with territorial skunks!!!!!

Look forward to watching your progress. We began small last year at EXACTLY this time! The 2nd was one year to the day my DH had open heart surgery! So when we got him home, we began walking---3 times a day, less than a block at a time. Within a months time we were up to a mile, 3 times a day. Then he went back to work, and I got scaled back to once a day!!!

Kat

That is so cool. Exercise and eatting right was never part of my life growing up and as an adult I have tried but never been successful to lose weight and exercise regularly. Sorry to hear about your husband. My husband also had open heart surgery. He had it when he was only a year old due to a birth defect and has lived his whole life being active and eatting right. He is his ideal weight and is very active; everything I want to be.

How has your banding been? Have you had any problems?

My DH was healthy his entire life, he has always been of a normal weight. Then one day he began telling me he was getting short of breath, and his heart would be pounding so hard, it would shake our King size bed at night, with me in it, at almost 300 pounds! He had a physical through work, and told them, and no one seemed concerned, made comments about him getting older etc. Finally he went to our own PCP, and was sent to a cardiologist immediately...only to find out his mitral valve had failed. He had one issue after another since then. The Dr. here who took care of him, we likely should have filed malpractice on, he caused a blood clot when doing his angiogram (to check and see if he needed any artery work while they were inside.) We had to go to Albuquerque for the surgery, it went great, and he healed really well. We began our walking etc. He was scheduled to return to work on Monday, and on the Saturday before, he had a major GI bleed. The same Dr. had mismanaged his coumadin therapy following surgery. Being on blood thinners is standard, but they had him too thin, and he almost bled to death. He got sick at his stomach, and when he vomited, he tore his esophagus loose on both sides from his stomach!!! I have never ever seen so much blood in my life! The Dr. actually told me he would likely expire (I now hate that word) in the next 10-15 minutes, and to get his kids there! With the Dr. and a surgeon doing some amazing experimental things, they saved him! But the methods they used to save him from the bleed, caused serious problems with the heart valve! Sent him into a constant state of A-fib. So about 8 weeks ago, they did another heart procedure, and it seems to be doing much better now. But it has been a loooooong year!

One of the things they always tell him to do is WALK!!!!!!

As for the banding---I have had no serious issues at all! I had a hiatal hernia repaired during the banding, and the repair did not hold. I began having reflux BAD! I freaked out thinking my band had slipped, so had it checked, and it ends up the hernia is an issue again. Both of my parents have the problem....guess I shouldn't be surprised! Other than that, no problems. I can eat most things, just in much smaller amounts. I have had 2 fills, my last one being over a year ago. I go to Canon City Colorado for my fills. I think I have a total of 1.75cc.'s in my band. I only wish I had been able to do this years ago!

Keep me posted on the walking plan!!!

Kat

Wow---the world just got smaller---I'm in Aztec!!! I actually have a SIL and 2 nieces from Bloomfield who are banded now....the nieces just got done yesterday!!!

In ABQ, we saw Dr. Paul Levy as the valve surgeon and Dr. Luis Constantin as the cardiac surgeon who did the follow up procedures.

This may put the walking group in a whole new light.

Maybe we could even get a local group started up---I know 3 others locally who are banded.

PM me, and I'll send you a phone #.

Kat

Sorry I forgot to mention, locally we see Dr. Kazahn or something like that----we don't use him much since they admitted Rick and then just left him sitting in the hospital for 4 days with no cardiologist on staff----no one would take responsibility of releasing him, and yet no one felt qualified to treat him! Finally Dr. Spence, stepped in and sent him to ABQ.

We need local care desperately in sooooo many areas! My niece who was just banded, works for a GP in Farmington, who is actually looking into certification to do fills---wouldn't that be awesome!

Kat

I wanted to update you guys on the walking program. I found a wonderful email buddy to do the walking program with me. We decided to change the program I had to start at 30 minutes instead of 15 minutes. Today I walked inside on the treadmill. I walked at 3 mph and a total of 1.5 miles. I left it at a zero incline today since it was my first day walking in along time. Here is the updated schedule with the increased times if anyone is interested. Sorry that it doesn't format well posting it in here. If you want me to email you the spreadsheet, PM me.

WEEK Day 1 Day 2 Day 3 Day 4 Day 5 Day 6 Day 7

1 30 min 30 min 35 min 30 min 35 min 30 min 35 min

2 30 min 35 min 35 min 30 min 35 min 30 min 40 min

3 30 min 40 min 35 min 30 min 40 min 35 min 40 min

4 35 min 45 min 35 min 35 min 40 min 35 min 45 min

5 35 min 45 min 45 min 35 min 45 min 35 min 50 min

6 40 min 45 min 45 min 40 min 45 min 40 min 55 min

7 40 min 45 min 55 min 45 min 45 min 45 min 55 min

8 40 min 45 min 55 min 45 min 55 min 45 min 65 min

9 45 min 55 min 55 min 45 min 55 min 55 min 65 min

10 45 min 55 min 65 min 45 min 65 min 55 min 65 min

11 55 min 55 min 65 min 55 min 65 min 55 min 65 min

12 55 min 55 min 75 min 55 min 75 min 55 min 75 min

I just started listening to books on CD's when I walk. Not only do I walk longer and farther but I can't wait to go again so I can see what is happening next in the books. You have to be careful and make yourself listen only when walking or you will find excuses. Books on CD's can get expensive but there is a large selection at the library.

ginny

I just started listening to books on CD's when I walk. Not only do I walk longer and farther but I can't wait to go again so I can see what is happening next in the books. You have to be careful and make yourself listen only when walking or you will find excuses. Books on CD's can get expensive but there is a large selection at the library.

ginny

They can get expensive! I love listening to audio books though especially on long drives. I've also found a lot of interesting Podcasts that are free on Itunes. It seems like they have Podcasts out there on every subject you can imagine.