Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 months weigh in appointments with nutritionist or PCP ?

Hey Everyone,

I'm kind of new here and lost with my surgery center. I'm choose to have my surgery with Dr. Yatco at Lennox Hill hospital in NYC. I had my consultation with Dr. Yatco, met with the surgery coordinator (she rushed me so quick smh). And made a appointment for the nutritionist. I need some guidance ....

I have Healthfirst/medicad. Do the 6 month weigh in should be done at Lennox Hill or my PCP ?

I'm just want everything done right to be approved

Thanks In Advance

Sent from my SM-G530T using the BariatricPal App

I'd suggest contacting your insurance directly to get in writing their requirements. Most say the six month weight loss can't be done with the surgeon and must be done with your pcp

I have BC/BS and I am doing my 6 monthly weigh-in appointments with my NUT. It's an hour class with others pursuing WLS.

I have BC/BS and I am doing my 6 monthly weigh-in appointments with my NUT. It's an hour class with others pursuing WLS.

Thanks Airstream .... Where you located

I don't have your insurance, but my supervised diet is through individual sessions with the dietitian and nurse practitioner at my surgeon's office...I had a choice about whether or not I wanted them to do it or my PCP - either was acceptable. it's best to contact your surgeon's office about this. They most likely have worked with people with your insurance and will be able to tell you.

Edited by katanne

Abrandnewlife - I am in Maryland.

My insurance allows for either with your PCP or with the nutritionist/surgeon's office. I opted for the monthly meetings with the nutritionist/surgeon - that way I could see the surgeon each month and ask him any questions I had and I figured the nutritionist could look over my food diary for the month and give me advice better than my PCP could. and they did warn us that if we go through our PCP to make sure the PCP wrote up individual reports each month and not just one assessment at the end. Apparently some PCP's have done just one report at the end and the insurance didn't count it as 6 individual visits.

To be on the safe side, I would suggest contacting your insurance to see if they have a preference of one over the other.

Hi I am also having my surgery with Dr Yacto at Lennox hill:). I am currently doing my 6 month weigh ins at my doctors office using the sheets Lennox hill provided.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi I am also having my surgery with Dr Yacto at Lennox hill:). I am currently doing my 6 month weigh ins at my doctors office using the sheets Lennox hill provided.

Hey !!!! I'm so happy to see your post ... do you mind if I message you ? ... How far along are you ?

Hey !!!! I'm so happy to see your post ... do you mind if I message you ? ... How far along are you ?

sure you can message me and I'm about halfway done I've done 3 appts already.

I had 3 months supervised. my weight loss clinic would have done it there, but my PCP was closer and following me for diabetes and other concerns, so I just had her do it.

All of this depends in who is doing your surgery and what insurance you have. My surgeons center follows you for 5 years. Appt at 2 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 mo, 6 mo, 1 yr, 2 yr 3 yr 4 yr 5 yr. Blood drawn at each. Appt vary between NUT, Surgeon and NP. We are encouraged to get our PCP on board since we see them annually and time physicals so that you are getting basic blood work from them annually too..in between.

My pcp knows I am pre op and scheduled her own follow up for sept. My physical was in march. She says she wants to monitor me on her own for 2 years every 6 months.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

PCP. Nor packs

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Muted_Tummy

I had the choice to choose either my PCP or the NUT & PA from the weight loss center. I decided to go with the weight loss center mainly because thy have better(free) parking and because it is helping me form a better bond with everyone on my team.