Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First fill and feel guilty when eating

I had my first fill and now up to 4cc. I am still getting hungry and feel slightly guilty when I eat. I fee like I should not be hungry at all. I have lost about 19 pounds including weight lost with pre-op diet. Does anyone else feel guilty when eating?

I feel the same. You think the device will make even the hunger disappear.

If only!

Think the hunger will always be there, this is when you have to make the choice to eat healthy and small portions.

Went to the doc yesterday and he said 3 ridiculously small meals and two Snacks. This means 3 meals of about 200ml food. This is where my mistakes slip in as my brain cant imagine eating only a few bites and being full, then I have a spoon more and more and before you know I'm having normal portions.

Luckily we have the band. Such a great thing. Thankful I could get one though.

Good luck ☺

Sent from my SM-G925F using the BariatricPal App

Maybe I'm weird but I don't feel guilty when I eat! I feel happy because I eat *less* even if it's not down to a half cup of food per meal yet. Pre-band me would eat this in a day: yogurt and banana for Breakfast, cheeseburger, fries, Cookies, and a coke for lunch, potato chips and French onion dip as a snack, chicken nuggets with macaroni and cheese and green Beans for dinner, and then ice cream or Cookies for dessert. Plus I'd drink coffee with cream, sodas, juice, and milk all day.

Now I eat a yogurt and banana for Breakfast, a sandwich with fruit for lunch, nuts and a slice of cheese for a snack, and dinner will be a salad plate with a Protein, veggie, and carb divided in three portions. Sometimes I'll have a small dessert like a couple pieces of chocolate or an ice cream sandwich, or I'll have a glass of wine. Unsweetened tea, coffee, and Water to drink all day.

That's maybe a total of 1/3 to 1/2 the calories I used to eat. I feel good and I feel like I'm getting enough so I'm satisfied even if I'm not 100% green yet. My doctor said I should feel satisfied on a half cup to one cup of food per meal and not need Snacks. I'm definitely not there yet so I'll keep getting fills but for now I'm just happy I'm satisfied eating so much less food than I used to. My appetite was a roaring dragon before my lap band. Now it's a whining puppy I can push aside if necessary.

Point is, try not to feel guilty because you still need food to survive! As long as you're losing, it's working :)

Ah, emotions! No need to feel guilty. I probably felt the same way during the first few months of being banded. Never really thought about it till your post.

Until your band is adjusted so that a small meal keeps you satisfied for 4-5 hours you will still want to eat between meals or eat more at each meal. Old habits die hard and some of them never do. Old habits can be mitigated and diminished though.

So, don't feel guilty. It took me 3 months before I felt like my band was working at all. And then another 3 months and a total of 6 fills before I was in the green zone.

We like to say, "until there's restriction, it's just another diet". And that means until your band is adjusted so you're in the green zone(sweet spot) you're on a diet.

tmf

My first fill was 4cc's...between my first fill and the next one, I gained weight.!!!

I felt guilty going back to the Dr for my second fill....fortunately he just laughed at me, reminding me how the band works and it's a process of fills to get it properly adjusted.

Thank you so much for your replies. I feel better after reading them. I am definitely eating less than I did before, so that is a good thing! Maybe, I was expecting too much after my fill. Thanks again! :)