Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long Term Sleeve and Bypass updates from the guys.

I have done all my research on the Sleeve. I have really not even thought about a full bypass until yesterday. I am looking for long term update from the guys who have had a sleeve or bypass.

I have a few lady friends who have had great long term success with the full bypass. They are 5+ years out. But I do not personally know anyone who has had the sleeve long term.

I have been doing all the insurance mandated precursors and my Bariatric Dr. has recommended me for the Sleeve. But the second thoughts have sprouted in my head as to which one.

Thanks in advance guys.

I have done all my research on the Sleeve. I have really not even thought about a full bypass until yesterday. I am looking for long term update from the guys who have had a sleeve or bypass.

I have a few lady friends who have had great long term success with the full bypass. They are 5+ years out. But I do not personally know anyone who has had the sleeve long term.

I have been doing all the insurance mandated precursors and my Bariatric Dr. has recommended me for the Sleeve. But the second thoughts have sprouted in my head as to which one.

Thanks in advance guys.

Not a Sleeve guy, but the one thing that I would say is that the Sleeve is the new kid on the block, in that it has only been in the last 13-14 years as a stand alone proceedure.

The jury is still out as to long term results. With any of these proceedures you can still gain weight if you get away from eating right.

I can tell you that after I did all of my research I did go with the RNY, and here are some of the reasons why I did.

1. It has been the Gold Standard for years

2. There is more long term studies / research

3. No cheating, persay but it will let me know that I shouldn't have ate something after the fact (I won't try it again anytime soon........lol )

4. I was able to keep all parts

5. My Doctor told me that in the event there were major problems it could be reversed (some will argue no but that's what mine told me)

Those were just a few of the reasons I went with the RNY.

My me, the long term health issues and malabsorption issues with the full bypass, turned me away from it. I am a year out and happy with my choice,

Edited by defibvt

In July, I will be 5 years post-op from VSG. I don't exactly know what my top weight was as my scale only went to 300, but I know I was at least 10 pounds above that (probably more like 20) and was very compliant during my 2 week pre-op diet. I flew down to Vegas (baby!) for my surgery and weighed in at 280-something. Over the next year I was very compliant with the Drs eating recommendations. I was down over 100 pounds, began running (never ran in my entire life) and participated in a lot of fun classes at my local gym. Personal issues struck and I did lose a lot more. Got down to a low of 156, which was way too low for me. I changed my eating habits and maintained a 175 - 185 range for the past 2 and a half years.

As is my norm, I do stress eat and this past year, I have been under quite a bit with marriage/family issues and new responsibilities at work I have gained to a 200-205 range. When I am depressed, I get the f**k-it's. But, I am working with a therapist and have re-committed myself back to the original eating recommendations.

Even though I am quite a bit thinner, I have to always be conscience of my triggers. I still have to live life on life's terms and not try to fill the hole in my soul with food. Getting the sleeve has not stopped me from being a food addict. I love food. Simple as that. But, while the sleeve does restrict my portions quite a bit, it does not have control over my choices or impulses. I do understand why I abuse food, but when I get the f**k-it's, I sabotage myself.

So, for me, the sleeve has been fabulous. But it doesn't end right after the surgery nor after you reach your goal weight. The demons are still there (for me) and I must continue to be aware of my triggers. As I mentioned, my restriction is still great, so I know I will be able to work with my sleeve (and therapist) to get back to my goal weight.

I think either way it's a tool. This is a life changing experience in every sense of the way. We will need to change everything about our relationship with food from now until the rest of our lives. As far as health issues besides the weight loss I've heard nothing about the sleeve. (I too have searched and searched) for the bypass malnutrition. My aunt had the bypass and has to go for Iron infusions now. But I will say she does NOT take her Vitamins. After a certain point post op she stopped. Had she continued maybe it would be different. She also has an intolerance to meat in general so again back to lifestyle change, you have to have eat Protein first being vegetarian is going to make things difficult. She also just recently had a bout with kidney stones. Probably related to not drinking enough Water. Again we need to remember the good of the surgery should outweigh the bad. What are the long term risks of doing nothing at all.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm only 1-1/2 years out. I'm considered a success because I'm 80%+ of weight loss. I self sabotaged with alcohol and that has created a big stall though no weight gain.

Why did I do Sleeve over other procedures? The mayo Clinic was in year four of a five year follow study, and the results were nearly identical to the bi-pass with fewer complications. I also had a fear of dumping.

Despite the stall, I could not be happier with the results, I climb mountains, run 5K's and have enjoyed the best sex of my life. I did recommit to breaking the stall, quit drinking and I joined the Memorial Day challenge. Let's see if I can get to goal by my 53rd birthday.

Thank s for chiming in all !! Phil, I am with you with the no cheating part. TO me the fear of dumping is a damn good reason to stay on the straight and narrow.

defibvt, you fears are the same as mine and why I focused on the sleeve. But now thinking long term I am not so sure.

PDXMan, yours is exactly what type on info I am looking for. Your case of the "fuck it's" is my biggest fear. I do not want to have a life stressor down the road and start munching on crap and put back on weight. Those issues make me want to have the fear of dumping to contend with if I get out of line.

Pirate, you are doing all the things I want to be doing right now. I have a 5 year goal of being able to mountain climb and hike the Appalachian Trail. My Uncle did it and if he can do it I can do it. I am not going to sit by idle anymore and watch the world and life pass by.

Keep the reports coming in guys !!

Trail.

In July, I will be 5 years post-op from VSG. I don't exactly know what my top weight was as my scale only went to 300, but I know I was at least 10 pounds above that (probably more like 20) and was very compliant during my 2 week pre-op diet. I flew down to Vegas (baby!) for my surgery and weighed in at 280-something. Over the next year I was very compliant with the Drs eating recommendations. I was down over 100 pounds, began running (never ran in my entire life) and participated in a lot of fun classes at my local gym. Personal issues struck and I did lose a lot more. Got down to a low of 156, which was way too low for me. I changed my eating habits and maintained a 175 - 185 range for the past 2 and a half years.

As is my norm, I do stress eat and this past year, I have been under quite a bit with marriage/family issues and new responsibilities at work I have gained to a 200-205 range. When I am depressed, I get the f**k-it's. But, I am working with a therapist and have re-committed myself back to the original eating recommendations.

Even though I am quite a bit thinner, I have to always be conscience of my triggers. I still have to live life on life's terms and not try to fill the hole in my soul with food. Getting the sleeve has not stopped me from being a food addict. I love food. Simple as that. But, while the sleeve does restrict my portions quite a bit, it does not have control over my choices or impulses. I do understand why I abuse food, but when I get the f**k-it's, I sabotage myself.

So, for me, the sleeve has been fabulous. But it doesn't end right after the surgery nor after you reach your goal weight. The demons are still there (for me) and I must continue to be aware of my triggers. As I mentioned, my restriction is still great, so I know I will be able to work with my sleeve (and therapist) to get back to my goal weight.

I know this question was for the guys, but I've got to chime in and say what a great post! Spot on!

Come on, where are the rest of the veteran guys hiding at. Let me know your thoughts please.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the BariatricPal App

There aren't too many of us. When I was active on the board, 3 to 5 years ago, there were only a handful of guys who were also active on the board. Less than 10, I'd say. Most of them, as have many of the ladies, have moved on with their lives. I see a few of them, like @gmanbat and @@joatsaint, but @@Butterthebean, @Fiddler and a few others have moved on. I had too, but came back to get some inspiration to lose a few pounds.

Earlier, you mentioned dumping would help you to fight regain. I'm not a bypass person, but I wouldn't depend on dumping to keep you compliant. Understanding why we get the f**k-It's and finding methods other than eating is the key. Otherwise, you could just attach wires and batteries to your nut sack which shock you every time a cupboard or refrigerator opens in your house.

That would be more effective.

I just snorted! ! Yeah, a electric shock to the sack would fix that problem damn fast!!

I spent today poling around on the veterans board and learned and saw a whole lot more.

Thanks for getting back to me man, I appreciate it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the BariatricPal App

@@PdxMan That is something Pavlov taught his dogs! LOL

Edited by defibvt

@@defibvt, I believe the dogs taught Pavlov. The dogs were merely acting naturally.