Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If the stomach becomes overloaded, particularly if it contains too much liquid, food passes too quickly into the intestines. The rush of too much food into the upper intestine may cause nausea, cramping, diarrhea, dizziness and fatigue.

http://www.laparoscopic.md/sleeve/what-digestive-changes-occur-after-gastric-sleeve-surgery

Edited by mln74

@@Wayward Traveler, I was simply told that liquid would take place in your rather small stomach and if you eat at the same time, you will be quickly full and it might feel quite painful plus you would not be getting enough food.

Yep, my nutritionist told me that if I was getting too full too easily, to avoid drinking while eating, in order to leave more space for food.< /p>

Uh ... the major reason sleeved patients aren't supposed to drink while eating (or immediately prior to or immediately after) is that liquids tend to dilute the food in our smaller sleeves, making it easier for the food to leave the stomach sooner and go down into the small intestine.

This means our smaller stomachs (made smaller so we will feel full faster) will spend more time feeling empty. This leads to -- you guessed it -- a desire to put more food in it.

Not drinking with meals is one of the key lifelong behaviors that correlates with long-term sleeved WLS success. In other words, it's something you don't do just while you're losing weight, but for the rest of your life.

Thanks, everyone - that's helpful. My situation is a little different in that I have a balloon – not a sleeve – but I was told the same thing about not having liquids and solids together. I didn't think to ask why at the time but will be inquiring the next time I go in. :-) Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

no Cereal, oatmeal, grains, or soft breads for me.

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 7:22 PM, VSGAnn2014 said:

Uh ... the major reason sleeved patients aren't supposed to drink while eating (or immediately prior to or immediately after) is that liquids tend to dilute the food in our smaller sleeves, making it easier for the food to leave the stomach sooner and go down into the small intestine.

This means our smaller stomachs (made smaller so we will feel full faster) will spend more time feeling empty. This leads to -- you guessed it -- a desire to put more food in it.

Not drinking with meals is one of the key lifelong behaviors that correlates with long-term sleeved WLS success. In other words, it's something you don't do just while you're losing weight, but for the rest of your life.

my hero... always got the right answer ….