Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbies - how much liquids/protein are you getting in?

I know the goal is supposed to be 60-70g Protein and 64oz of Water, but two days out I don't know if I can get that much in yet. It's 5pm and I've been sipping since I woke up around 7am. I've managed to drink about 40oz and 46g of protein, thanks to my nectar drinks. I'm only 2 days out, so I know it gets easier as time goes on.

So how is everyone else doing?

I'm really afraid of getting dehydrated and going back in, so I'm trying hard to get it all in.

Dear Fellow Sleever, I am one month out and you are already doing better than me. I try my hardest to get the 64oz of Water in per day but usually only get in about 40oz. I sip all day but if I try to force in too much throughout the day it makes me sick and I hurt...or worse the Water just comes back up. The Protein is the same way. Even at a month out and on a regular diet I can only eat about 2-3 bites of food...not even 1 whole scrambled egg so I obviously cannot get my 60-80g of Protein per day with food alone. I try to substitute with shakes but I still cant fit in all the water, shakes and food in to reach my goal. It is very frustrating and hard when I hear about other patients who have no problems getting more in their sleeves. I have spoke with my doc and he said just do the absolute best you can to reach those water/protein goals and I will get there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using the BariatricPal App

I am one month out and had trouble getting in the Protein at first too. It gets easier when you can start eating food. I dehydrated during a bout with the flu three weeks out. Dr had me drink gator aide for a couple days and it made me feel much better when not getting in the liquids. Also Sobe Vitamin Water Fiji Apple helps me to drink more.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Sounds like your on track. It's not expect for you to get that my Fluid in your tiny stomach. It's a gradual transition. I still have this issue 5 weeks post op. I try my hardest and just keep drinking. I doubt you'll get dehydrated too bad. Just stay focused and you'll do great!

My surgeon told me to just focus on my fluids right after surgery and get in whatever Protein I could. It took about a month before I could get in all of my fluids and Protein. shakes make me sick so once I got on solid foods it was much easier! At 3 1/2 months out I'm exceeding my Fluid and protein goals and no need to supplement with Protein powder :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm nine days out and struggling for every ounce. I was readmitted for five days because there was so much swelling around my hiatal hernia repair that my esophagus swelled shut and I couldn't get anything down. That's very, very unusual. I'm taking in teeny tiny sips. They told me not to worry, just keep working on it.

One thing I've noticed, is that warm liquids seem to go down easier for me. Has anyone else experienced that? I can take 8oz of warm broth in less than 30 min than I can the same amount of cold nectar. The Nectar will take me forever in comparison.

Edited by xochtlem

Perhaps you can take more warm liquids because it helps relax and expand the esophagus. Cold things usually cause constriction so maybe the esophagus tightens up more making the cold liquids harder to go down?

Sent from my XT1080 using the BariatricPal App

Has anyone tried pro-nrg? 15g of Protein in 4 ounces. Curious if it's any good.

post-286818-14586139426842_thumb.jpg

My surgeon told me to just focus on my fluids right after surgery and get in whatever Protein I could. It took about a month before I could get in all of my fluids and protein. shakes make me sick so once I got on solid foods it was much easier! At 3 1/2 months out I'm exceeding my Fluid and protein goals and no need to supplement with Protein Powder :)

I've identified that my new tummy definitely hates my Protein Drinks. It loves chicken broth. I'm going to tinker with milk-based protein drinks I make at home tomorrow and see if that goes better.

Sassycat, I have not tried that but I always buy GENEPRO (flavor and scentless) with 30g and add it to my fluids when needed. I've been having a hard time with Protein and now my levels are low and required to get 105gm of protein daily. Adding this to my fluids really helps. I buy it on Amazon and it can be added to anything! I also add it to my yogurt!

Sassycat, I have not tried that but I always buy GENEPRO (flavor and scentless) with 30g and add it to my fluids when needed. I've been having a hard time with Protein and now my levels are low and required to get 105gm of protein daily. Adding this to my fluids really helps. I buy it on Amazon and it can be added to anything! I also add it to my yogurt!

Thanks!