Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm a newbie with LOTS of questions!

PLEASE POST BACK! I posted once before (ABOUT Colorado docs and didn't get one post back :cry (waaaa)I need all the help I can get!

I have been reading and researching lap band for a while and am getting really close to making the commitment! I have been so inspired by reading this board. But...I have some questions for you experienced banders!

1. with the drastic diet changes (I've read some can't eat any chicken, some can't eat any bread or steak) how do you cook for your families, satisfying them and yourself?

2. With the pre and post op liquid and pureed diet, how hard was it to get through? Since we all weren't overweight from just looking at food, I thought you'd have great advice about how to handle the change..or, was it not that hard because you just didn't feel like eating anyway?

3. Ok, please don't laugh at me on this question...I love my cup of home brewed starbucks every day. I read no coffee....OMG. Is that true? Did any of you sip coffee?

4. I read that many have to travel long distances for a fill. That will be true for me also. I can handle that, but have been a bit freaked out since I watched the "Big Medicine" show where Dr. Davis' sister/daughter had to go to an incompetant ER, then fly to Houston, to get some Fluid taken out of her band because something was stuck. How common is that??? Is it more common to have something stuck, then wait it out without having to drive or fly 5 hours to get unfilled? I don't want to be in a dangerous situation!

5. I will be heading to Mexico...self pay..very impressed by a couple of the doctors there. It is just a matter of choosing and committing and getting financing!

I can't wait to get your input! Thanks sooo much!

:welcomeB:

Sorry I can not answer most of your questions since I have not been banded myself. But I am sure you will get a lot of replies to your post.

As for cooking for your family and satisfying yourself. I can tell you that I have done a number of diets in the past and when I was following Atkins I prepared meals for my family and I just ate the foods I was allowed. Example... baked fish, broccoli & cheese and rice. I had the fish and broccoli but not the rice. My family was able to have the full course. It wasn't hard at all. I just learn to make small adjustments.

Ok I will try to answer what I can, my take on them anyway, everyone is different though. I cook for the family and make things we both can eat sometimes it means making 2 types of meat but most of the time after you figure out what is band friendly with you you can make meals that you both can eat but I will admit sometimes it is a challenge. Coffee- I drink coffee everyday, no problems with it and Dr has no problem with me doing it. Most of the time when you get something stuck it isnt an emergency situation, it is a bathroom situation or a wait to pass situation, you will either throw it up or wait for it to go down. I think it is rare to have to have an emergency unfill for something being stuck, never known anyone to have to go have an unfill for being stuck. I have had a small unfill for being too tight, but it wasnt an emergency situation but if you have to travel I would be slow on getting fills as to know I wasnt going to get too tight and have to go right back. Some doctors in america will do fills for people banded in Mexico maybe you can find one close. Good luck! This is just my take on stuff , everyone is different though so take any advice with that knowledge.

Hello and Welcome, I am another one who is waiting to be banded and can't help much with your questions.. But you mention something about Colorado Dr's and I am going to Dr. Kirshenbaum in the Denver area to have my band done. I am self pay and was looking at going to Mexico too. He comes highly recommended and his charges are $9950 for every thing and 3 months aftercare and fills. He charges a little bit more than the Mexico Dr's, but I like the fact that he is in the US and only charges $15 for fills you may need later.. I've heard other Dr's charge about $100 to $150 per fill and some also charge an up front fee as well.. There is a thread started with Dr. K's patients under 'Doctors and Hospitals' from the main page and a link to his web site in my signature... Good luck in what ever you decide..

Wow, thanks for the responses, and the private message (I will try and email soon!)

Please keep the info coming :)

About Dr. K in Denver area - do you know how many lap bands he has done? I had read somewhere else on the board that it is around 100, but I don't know for sure. I emailed his office and asked how many he has done, but they didn't respond. His fill price is wonderful, though.

I am glad to hear that others drink coffee! :clap2:

I am still researching and reading. I am excited about what the lap band could do for me, but terrified at the same time about surgery. At this rate, though, my weight "aint" doing me any good either. I am so far relieved and encouraged of how much experience a couple of the docs in Mexico have.

Has anyone heard of any fill doctors in Colorado Springs?

thanks!

I saw Dr. K On July 24 and he told me 155 bands. However, he was the first doctor in Colorado to do Laproscopic surgery and does lots of other types of surgery. I am being banded Aug 15 by Dr. K

Marilyn

I would suggest that you go to the Dr. Kirshenbaum link under 'Doctors and Hospitals' and see what all of Dr K's patients have to say about him. One gal just posted there that she was just banded by Dr K. and she had a great experience... It would be alot closer for you to go to Denver than it would be to Mexico since you live in Colorado Springs in the event something went wrong.. But, good luck to you in what ever you decide.

I live about 6 hours from Denver and about 4.75 hours from Colorado Springs. I was wondering if there was a fill doc in the Springs because my daughter lives there and it would make travel easy and no hotel expense...

I am definately torn on what to do. I would actually have less travel (no drive to Denver) time for surgery going from where I live, direct flight into Mexico. Flying from here to Denver is a little plane that holds about 16 people and costs almost as much as going to Mexico! But, I then need to line up a fill doc. There is supposed to be a great one who supports the Mexico docs. He's in Salt Lake City, which is about as far as Denver. The Springs would be more convenient though.

Ugh..all of it makes my head swirl. Lots of research, thoughts, finances, and taking all this great advice!

Let's hope I don't chicken out with all it takes to even get to the starting gate. thanks for all your help and encouragement!

I sure understand the head spinning with trying to sort everything out. There is a lot to consider when you are trying to make the big decision, but you will be ok and not chicken out.. :)

As for fill Dr.'s you can check out this web site for a fill place close to you.

www.fillcentersusa.com

Hope this helps you and they have one close to you.. Good Luck

I am a bit nervous myself. I have too many questions to post them all. I would loke to know about the liquid diets though. Before surgery? I go for my visit to talk about the band on Wednesday. The girl who made the appointment said I could be banded the next week. Is that normal? I am afraid if I wait too long SOMEONE is bound to talk me out of it. I have had several surgeries on my foot due to an accident and I swore I would never be cut on again! I am needing someone with the experience to let me know about the recovery time and PAIN. Please....

1. I can eat most things now...I've just learned how much I need to chew to get some things down. But some foods just aren't worth the effort to me anymore, so I'm happy to cook whatever and either give myself a small portion, or eat the things I can and not serve myself the things I can't. It's not like having a craving and then not being able to eat...It's just not being interested in some foods. Oddly, I've also found I'm great at buffets because I can get a bite of a bunch of things....but I don't miss being able to pile my plate full.

2. It's funny. When I said to my Dr. that I didn't know how I could lose weight or stay on a pre-op diet, and that if I could, I might not need the band....He agreed! I just did the best I could. Post-op, I did well until the swelling went down from surgery and then I could eat a bunch until I got my fills, but still lost weight, so it was at least partially working. I think everybody understands that we do our best, but we are really needing the band to make a difference for us.

3. I gave up Diet Coke because of the carbonation, and am surprised that I havne't missed it, and I sleep a lot better. I still occasionally have a Frappacino Lite for 150 calories, and I would have coffee if I drank it. In fact, I know bandsters who have coffee in the morning because heat opens up the band for the day so they can eat. I think what's important is to listen to your Dr. and to your body and see what works for you.

4. I think what happens is that things get stuck and we unstick them ourselves....and then decide we need a slight unfill so things don't get stuck anymore. In my experience, things that get stuck either end up going through becasue we produce enough slime to slide it through, or it comes back up in a PB. I don't know about instances of stuck stuff just staying stuck. It's more that after it happens, we decide if we weren't chewing well enough, or if we need a little less restriction.

Keep asking questions! It's a big learning process and a great journey.

TriVon: Everyone is different. Here's what I experienced: I went to surgery, and was nauseous as I came out of anaesthetic. They put a patch on me and gave me some sort of medication. I went home the same day. By the time I got home, I was still groggy and was beginning to feel gas pain. They have to blow you up with gas so they can see what they are doing, and the pain often gets referred to your right shoulder. I used liquid Tylenol and a heating pad for it, and I walked a lot, which they said helps. Within an hour of getting home, I slept in a recliner for hours. When I woke up, I was no longer groggy, but had that annoying shoulder pain. I walked, rested, and complained about my shoulder the rest of the day. The next 2 days, I was up and about but still had the pain. I just kept on liquid Tylenol and the heating pad, and pretty much putzed around the house without a problem and without assistance since hubby went back to work the day after my surgery. Other than leaving lifting tasks to him, I was mobile. I probably could have returned to work on day 4, and ideally, I would have planned to take a week off instead. The shoulder pain went away around day 4, and it was really my only major inconvenience. By day 7, my appetite came back with a vengence. Then I was in Bandster Hell waiting for my first fill so I could live the bandster life. I leanred patience.