Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this normal being painful after a fill?

I had my surgery August 23rd. My first fill was Tues November 16th. I was told to do liquids for 2 days and then food as tolerated. While doing liquids I had 5 episodes where I had BP. 3 were while I was drinking my Protein slowly, 1 was on OJ and the other 1 was when I took a Vitamin. I called the doctor and they told me to come in and have some saline removed. Last night and this morning I was doing great and had no problems getting anything down so I was second guessed going to the docs office today. Around 10:00 I attempted to try real food so I had some eggs. Because the band is tighter in the morning I had a Protein Shake for Breakfast and was going to do eggs as a snack. Well I took a very small bite of the eggs chewed it up real well and swallowed. It was atleast 15 till I was able to take another bite because it felt like the eggs were stuck. I took another bite, but was afraid of BP'ing because I could feel the eggs in my throat and it was starting to get painful. About an hour later I started to drink some Water because the pain started to go away.

Now I am scared to eat anything. I thought I was suppose to feel full in my belly with the band not like food was stuck in my throat and it was painful. Is this the way the band is suppose to make you feel or does it sound like it is overfull? Any suggestions would be helpful.

If I dont have the saline removed today I wont be able to do anything about it till after Dec 8th because of Thanksgiving and vacation.

As little as getting .2 removed can make a huge difference. My Dr. would not allow me to be Pbing on Water or liquids, after a fill he makes us sit there and drink l;iquids in his office for a good 30 minutes to make sure. If you are filled too tight, waiting until after Dec 8th could be miserable for you and possibly do damage to your band and esophogus, I dont thin k you want that do you? Also being too tight does not always mean you will lose faster or lose more. In my opinion if I was unable to eat more then 1 bite of scrambled egss and feeling pain if I did.. If I was Pbing on liquids...I would go in for an unfill, just a slight one but that is me.

I went to the docs on Friday and he took out 1CC. I feel much better now and can still feel some restriction. I am very happy with it!

Good News Kim, isint it amazing how little 1cc is but what an amazing difference it can make..good or bad? You did the right thing by having some removed. You will thank yourself for it in the long run. So many people think it is better to be tighter and they will lose faster but that is not always the case.. For me, the damage that can be done from being filled to tight is not worth any ammount of weight loss! Hope this fill ammount works well for you.

It is a common misconception that you will feel 'full' in your belly after banding. But, think about it. You're band is placed up under your esophagus, which is the bottom of your throat -above the belly. Unless you are eating soft foods that go around the band (eating AROUND the band) you will never feel that 'tummy' Thanksgiving full again. Your food should now stop high above the tummy and yes, to me, it definitely is in my 'throat'. I'm real glad you had some taken out as this intolerance to anything, even liquids is quite dangerous, both to you and your band.

Also, many many bandsters report an intolerance to scrambled eggs. If I try them, I mash them up very finely with my fork, like I did for my babies. Even then, they tend to 'settle' in your stoma, like potatoes do. Mostly, they're too uncomfortable to enjoy, so I rarely even try it anymore. In 18 months, I've pb'd about 6 times and eggs was one of my first culprits.

Good advice. I get so frustrated when I read posts like yours because so many "newer" doctors are doing the surgery but not the patient education. You are NOT going to be full in your belly. The object of the band is to limit how much food you can eat. You will NOT be filling your stomach. And eggs

ARE tough because they never actually dissolve. Do you like soft-boiled eggs? Make one of those and just eat the yolk right now.

Many people can't eat solids early in the day and have to wait for the stoma to relax and open a little before eating solids. Read your booklet and read all the old posts and FAQ's so you know what to expect.

Good luck.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

That's brilliant! You've done amazing!! I should probably think about changing my profile picture at some point. Mine is the doll from Squid Games. Ironically the whole premise of the show is about dodging death. We've both done that...

• eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches