Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psych Eval...WAY too long, WAY WAY too long

My doctor required a visit to a psychotherapist. The one I chose actually had bariatric bypass herself. We talked for about 90 minutes on many things like relationships, my childhood, and my reasons for wanting the surgery. She even gave me homework : to research addiction transferance, designate a "get real" friend, sort my clothes by season and size, sample everything that you'll be allowed to eat for the first few weeks after the surgery, etc. We found my "triggers' for mindlessly eating (why do I have to eat while I watch TV???) and I am starting to do counted cross stitch again and I'm going to set up my stained glass work area again...can't eat when I do either of those. All in all I passed and she wrote her report. She told me that it is all for the Insurance company and using the right phrases. I am done with all my pre-appointments...just waiting for the surgery date...and I should know hopefully tomorrow!! :-) I am so hoping for Nov. 20...wish me luck! :rolleyes2:

By the way, this therapist will meet with me 3 more times: a month after banding, at 3 months, and at 9 months. She will make sure I have support as I change emotionally as well as physically.

Edited by ncmagnolia

My psych eval was about 2 hours with the most time spent on the multiple choice evaluation. My doc xplained that the psych was mandated by most insurance because many patients don't understand that lap band is a tool and not a quick fix.

My "eval" was a bubble sheet with 165 questions that was mailed off. I didnt think much about it but Im shocked at some of the responses here about how long and detailed theirs were.

Well, my visit was only an hour but the psych sent paperwork home with me that took at least another hour or two and then I had to send it back. My next visit consisted of the psych telling my why he was putting my surgery off for a while. He told me I had an eating disorder and that he had to fix my brain before I could have surgery. I thought dear Jesus this could take years but actually I went to him every 1-2 weeks for about 3 months and then he released me. My surgery date is in 9 days and I can't wait! The funny thing is, I'm still going to my therapist, my choice because he actually helped me. He taught me that holding grudges against people would actually make me unable to lose weight because when I thought of these people I would eat. Weird huh? Good luck, keep your head up and just be honest with your therapist. It will go much faster if you tell the truth and let him "figure" you out. :blush:

That's too bad...my psych eval was almost an hour. I loved her ..she gave me a ton of good advice ..much more than the "nutritionist". I want to hire her as my life coach! I do want to see her again...hoping she doesn't charge me $250 an hr. againe THO!@

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches