Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What steps did you have to take prior to surgery?

I had my initial consult two weeks ago where I met with the surgeon and the dietician and set up several appointments. The surgeon said that I am a perfect candidate being that my age is 33 and even though my BMI is 41.9, I do not have many health issues but my BMI was high enough that insurance should find it acceptable. I have Blue Cross Blue Shield Silver Plus.

What appointments and tests did you have to have prior to everything being sent to insurance for approval? I met with a psychiatrist and passed that part, tomorrow I see Physical Therapy, the dietician, and have an ultrasound scheduled to check my gallbladder. Friday, I have an endoscopy, At the time of the initial appointment, I felt overwhelmed by all of the appointments that were being scheduled and I didn't think to ask about a timeline of future appointments and tests.

I had to meet with the nutritionist twice, be cleared by psych, have a sleep test, and have an EKG and ECHO. After that I saw the surgeon and was cleared. It did take a while. I started 4/1/2015 and had surgery on 8/17/2015. It's a lot to keep track of, but stay on top of it :)

It will go by quickly! I know you don't think so ... but it will!

I started in November. I have had blood work, complete gyne stuff, chest xray, ekg, stress test, echocardiogram, endoscopy, sleep study, psychological exam, and I meet with my nut every visit along with my PA. It's definitely a long process!

After my surgeon's appointment I was overwhelmed. With a busy job, and not wanting to tell work what I am doing, it's been tricky getting scheduled. I have blood work, GI appointment, PFTs, barium swallow done. Coming up are cardiology appointment (I guess an EKG and possible stress test to be scheduled after that), then pulmonary to review PFTs and schedule sleep study, psych evaluation, gyne exam (my choice), EGD, primary MD appointment and 2/4 nutrition appointments done. I may have missed something. My physician wants me to lose 10 pounds and I need to watch a video too. One day at a time......

I started this process last Sept 2015. I was told that I needed to be a high BMI and have one more obesity related health problem. They sent me for a sleep study. The place was booked until November. After I was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea, things started picking up. I met with my barbaric surgeon in Jan. I am required to see a nutritionist for three months. I had an EGD and swallow test. I really need to schedule my psych evaluation. After that is all completed, they will send the information to my insurance for review.

Edit to add; I don't have a primary care doctor. I had to get my sleep study doctor to write me a letter of recommendation. It had to say that the doctor felt the WLS would be beneficial for me. Insurance requires the letter.

Edited by Momwith3minions

Wow, it seems some people have many more steps than others! I also watched the video, and am required to go to 3 support group meetings prior to surgery. Tonight will be my third meeting. Then after surgery, I will be required to attend four on the first year.

I stated my process in August 2015 and it took a year to complete.

After meeting with my PCP, I first had to attend two seminars, Weight Loss Mgmt and Intro to Bariatric Surgery. I was then given a 9 page questionnaire to fill out, and had to complete pre op labs, which included blood tests and an EKG.

Once my tests and questionnaire were submitted and reviewed, I had to schedule a one on one appt with the head of the bariatric program. That's where I was told I was approved to start their program (which wasn't a guarantee I would be approved for surgery). The weight taken at this appt was the official starting weight.

Then I had to wait for an opening for the requirement of six months of classes, one a week for 24 weeks, 90 minutes each. At the first class we were told we had to lose 10% of our weight. The classes included weekly weigh ins and we were also had to turn in weekly food logs.

After the classes ended, we had to wait to be called for a stress test, and a final weigh in. Then there were another round of tests we had to complete, more blood, etc.

Next I had to wait to hear whether I was approved, at which time my file would be forwarded to the surgeon. During this time I was also required to attend a surgeon's seminar, and a support group meeting.

After approval I had to wait to be called by the surgeon's office for a 3 in 1 appt which included a psych evaluation, meeting with an internist, and the surgical consult.

After that I had to wait to be called with a surgery date, which ended up being 07/29/15. The day before surgery I had to attend a PREP appt at the hospital, and I had a 1 day pre op liquid diet (only 1 day because I had already lost more than the required 10%).

Now I'm nearing seven months post op and I couldn't be happier. I'm only 10 pounds from goal and I would definitely do it all over again in a second!

I had to do the 6 month medically supervised weight loss. During that time, I ...

-met with the medical provider monthly

- met with the NUT and exercise physiologist a few times

- did my psych evaluation

- had to get clearance from my gastro and oncologist (long story, I'm good now)

- stress test

- Various blood work

- body mass scan

- met with the surgeon

I did NOT have to...

- get scoped

- do a sleep study

Hi,

I started in August 2015 and surgery is slated for 3/1. I also have BC/BS (Federal). Because of my age (52) I had to do some additional things:

Endoscopy

Colonoscopy (or proof of one within last several years)

Cardiac Eval

Chest X-Ray

Stress Test

LOTS of bloodwork

sleep Study (or evidence of one within ten years)

Pre-Anesthesia testing (EKG, more bloodwork)

Psych Eval

Six months of nutrition classes (one each month-mandatory)

It is quite a bit to go through. I actually found that the most stressful time for me was the almost 3 weeks it took BCBS to approve the surgery....I was going crazy thinking I might have to start all over to go to Mexico (didn't know they had different requirements). So...here I am in the early days of my pre-op diet. Keep thinking about the new me and pressing on!

Hang in there, one day (or sometimes minute) at a time.

Edited by Canuimagine

I'm still in the process but I need 7 monthly visits with the practice which I just completed my 6th I have to get blood work a chest xray and forward the results of my ekg to my surgeon