Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hawaii pre & post bansters

Aloha,

Any local folks did the band already or considering the band?

Let's talk story... please introduce yourself here and share your stories...

Mahalo..

Aloha mescla 808! I'm so glad you started this thread. I'm getting banded on the 15th at Castle Medical Center with Dr. Fowler. I'm so excited but at the same time I have major anxiety. I met a few people the other night at a lap-band support group who had the surgery. Two women were 2 weeks out and had lost 20 and 23 pounds in those 2 weeks! That would be wonderful. Let me know if I can help you with anything.

Well, i go to the seminar on Wednesday and I will meet the folks you speak of. I cant get this done right away but soon enough. I just had a baby 8 months ago and used up all my sick and vacation leave. I will have to accumulate it for the band. How much time off did you request?

Congratulations on your baby! I work call-in so I make my own schedule. I also go to school full time so I scheduled my surgery to give me at least two weeks before I start school again. I've read posts where people go back to work one week after surgery and Dr. Fowler also said that too. In the meantime, they'll put you on a diet to help lose weight before the surgery.

<p>I get 5 mini meals and one main meal of 5 ounces of meat, fish, chicken...& 2-3 cups of certain veggies like cucumbers,mushrooms, green Beans, celery, cabbage, tomatoes... The mini meals are a choice of fat-free yogurt, 5 triscuits with one wedge laughing cow low fat cheese, a lettuce wrap or lo carb wrap with 2 ounces tuna & light mayo, a south beach diet bar, 4 slices healthy choice turkey with salsa, EAS low carb Protein drink(I like the chocolate flavors and its cheapest at Walmart) You need to begin eating within 30 minutes after you wake up and eat every 2-3 hours but no longer than 4 hours. Also you can eat the veggies between meals. There are also "FREE FOODS" like korean nori, low sodium V8 drinks, sugar free Jello with sugar free whipped cream(I have yet to find sugar free whipped cream) low sodium chicken broth and crystal light drinks. I think thats about everything. I tend to cheat here and there and so I go to the gym 5 times a week now and do 20-30 minutes of cardio and 30-45 minutes of strength training with 5 minutes of stretching. I probably would've lost another 10 pounds if I would stop cheating. Maybe you'll have better luck than me. Good luck!</p> the strength training is 2-3 times a week

Did Dr. Fowler or the nutritionist give you a diet plan and are there many choices... i think where people fail is where there are limited choices and they get bored.. good you are going to the gym, shoots, i dont have time...

Aloha Hawaiigirl & Mescla 808!

I am getting banded at Caslte on the 15th by Dr. Fowler too! I just had my pre-op appointment with him today. i am so excited but also very nervous. I had lost some weight on the diet you referred to but got a bit discouraged. My surgery date was postponed a month due to a hiatal hernia and I have been having these "last meals" but realize this is not healthy. Hopefully we will meet each other. I definitley utilize the support groups... all the best,

To-be- banded, Kaneohe resident

Aloha,

So glad you found us. Pull up a chair and lets all talk story. I would love to meet you too so maybe we can support each other in our journies. Im on the windward side too. Im meeting some Kauhi folks coming in on the 24th. The husband was banded and she will get hers this month. I just had my seminar on Wednesday and met Dr Fowler. He didnt sell me on it with the seminar, im sold from researching it, talking to my docs, and being here. I do like his spirit, sincerity, and commitment to helping patients have better lives...

How are you, havent talked to you in a few days... Hows the diet coming...I went to my gasterenterologist the other day. He is in full support of the band and Dr. Fowler. He did a endoscopy on me and found a hiatial hernia too, but Fowler said he could just repair it while doing the band...

Aloha,

Sounds like we will be meeting which will be great. I have only told my husband and my mom. So...I could use some pals. I just feel like keeping this to myself. I am telling others that I am having surgery for my hiatal hernia, which of course is not lying, its just not telling the entire truth. About Dr. Fowler, I also found him to be very factual, not wanting to give any opinions about which options, etc. I guess that could be a liability concern or just simply forcing us to do our research, make our own choices, and to be confident about our decision. The whole team however combined is just fantastic. He has done 2 upper GIs on me including my pre-op appt. yesterday and I feel extremely confident about him. I am fairly nervous about the liquid only thing but I am sooooo ready for this lifetime change. Do any of you belong to a gym here in HI? I belong to 24hr. fitness, another routine to establish. of course, I have the beautiful botanical gardens in my backyard that I need to walk more. Glad to know you are there and I look forward to using this as another support tool. I will certainly be at the support group 1st wed in Sept. too!!!!

Mahalo.

OMG Castle girl, we're banding on the same day! What time is your surgery? Mine's at 11:30. I wonder if we were in the waiting room yesterday for the pre-op. So exciting! Mescla, we should get together so we can see each other before and after and congratulate each other on how great we all look after!:clap2: Talk to you soon!

Aloha hawaiigirl, my surgery is at 10:00a.m. so you never know, maybe we will be roommates for the night. I have to have you show me how to get my tickerfactory over to my messages. We are gonna be that hula girl on your wonderful tickerfactory of yours:) Congrats on losing 17lbs. already! I am going in at my highest weight unfortunately but I think I got my head ready. I see mary & Jennifer Tuesday so I will be at the Wellness Center on Tuesday from 10-noon. Take care, aloha,

Aloha,

Well I attempted to send you this long email from my telephone. I was down in Waikiki today, checking on my condos, doing tourist stuff, and I walked past a huge mirror at the Hyatt and thought.. "oh, I so have to lose weight". My husband and kids were walking with me. I was thinking he's a bag of bones and he's walking with a buluga whale.. I saw this tall then bride taking pics and i thought, gosh i wish.. main thing, i want to be here for my kids.. my youngest is 8 months old. Sure let's chat and support each other.. Im out in Kahuku but im always in Kaneoehe too..