Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Forget the numbers on the scale, how about clothing sizes?

Hello all. I see lots of posts about weight loss and numbers and what the scale shows during the first few months following a DS. I've also seen a few photo 'journals' that demonstrate what the weight loss looks like over time. Did anyone keep track of their clothing size as they lost weight the first 3-6 months? Would anyone care to share how their clothing size changed during that time? I know it's different for everyone, I'm just curious. Thanks so much!

Hi there! I had bypass 16 months ago. I started at a size 26/28 top and a 24 in pants. I carried a lot of weight in my upper arms so I always am a size bigger on top.

I had my surgery in sept 2014. By November I was in a size 18. By February I was in a size 14 on the bottom.

Now I wear a size 8 jeans and a large and sometimes medium top. I am still losing although nearly at goal. Down 141lbs with about 3.5 lbs left to go.

I didn't do size changes, but in addition to pics and weight I did do measurements.

My sizes changed so quickly! I started out as a 26 or 28 in bottoms and 3x or 4x in tops. I had surgery at the end of April in 2015 and was down to a size 20 by the end of May or middle of June. I was in a 16 in September, a 14 in October, 12 in November, 10 in December, and now either a 6 or 8. I wear anywhere from an XS to a M in tops.

I'm four months out, and I started out as a 26-28 or 3x in most things. Now, I'm an XL in tops, and a 14 or 16 in bottoms.

I started at a tight 28 and I got tops with no stretch in 30. I wore workout and lounge clothes for about 2 months. The first time I bought jeans I was in a 24. Then about 2 weeks later I got 22. Then 3 weeks later 20. Then I hovered in a 20 for about 6 weeks, then 18. I am almost 7 months out. I can wear 16 in some things but I am still mostly an 18. I expect to be a 16 fully by the end of the month.

I'm just getting started with this deal at 4 months post-op.

In the before pic in my profile taken the morning prior to the October 2015 surgery I was wearing a tight 6X t-shirt and 4X Under Armor pants.

Last gym trip I made found me wearing a 3x shirt and 2x Under Armor pants.

I get the feeling you want to see how our changing (smaller) weight correlated to clothing sizes. Here's what my weight history / sizes look like (I'm a 5'5" woman with a regular / hourglass shape):

235 pounds - size 20-22 Woman

216 pounds - size 18 Woman

200 pounds - size 16 Woman / Size 18 Misses

180 pounds - size 16 Misses

170 pounds - size 14 Misses

160 pounds - size 12 Misses

150 pounds - size 10 Misses

140 pounds - size 8 Misses

135 pounds - sizes 4-6 Misses

As you know, dress sizes vary dramatically from manufacturer to store to style. At 135 pounds (my current weight) I wear anything from a size 2 to a size 8. Actually, yesterday I found in my closet an old Pendleton size large cotton turtleneck sweater that sort of fit and wore it with jeans.

I've found that, at the same size, clothes with these labels / sold at these stores (Talbots, Ann Taylor, Loft, Eileen Fisher) are larger than clothes with these labels / sold at these stores (Antonio Melani, Polo, St. John, Escada, Zara).

Here's a great graph illustrating (in someone's experience) which brands run large and which run small:

http://lifehacker.com/this-chart-shows-which-clothing-brands-run-too-big-or-s-1668791215

Great information ladies, thank you. Numbers tell just part of the story. I'm hoping to shrink rapidly. I'm pretty amazed at how quickly some of you dropped sizes. Wow. Impressive. I should have been asking about fitness, too. I won't be running any marathons overnight, but I'm guessing most of you were consistant with working out a little bit.

I wish I could say I've been to the gym more regularly. But mostly, I have just walked a lot more and been much more active in daily life -- housework, errands, fidgeting.

I am nearly three months post op and down 54.5 lbs. I started at a 24 pants and 26/28 top. I am now in 20/18 pants and 20/22 tops. In both cases it varies on cut and brand. I went to my nephew's wedding the first weekend in February (about 10 days ago) and wore a size 20 dress from Dress Barn and rocked it! B)

I brought several items up from my storage unit recently that are size 18s. One or two pairs of pants fit mostly and the suit jackets are REALLY getting close. I have avoided trying them on since I brought them up so I don't get sad because I can't wear them yet. ;)

I have started a weight lifting class this past week and am looking forward to seeing how much toning up will change how things fit as well as how it affects the weight loss. I am also at my three month surgiversary Thursday when I will measure to see how many inches I have lost and this weekend my sis-in-law will be taking 3 month pictures for comparison. YEAH!

pam