Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sugar, sugar, sugar and the liver reduction diet.

I live for the day that I'm off topamax and can taste carbonation again but I'm told that's a big no no after surgery. I wasn't a huge soda drinker but I did enjoy a raspberry ginger ale or a Mexican coke every so often

Wats with topamax?

I guess I'm confused about the difference between things that are not to be eaten permanently and things that are not to be eaten temporarily. My nut basically said carbs like pastas and breads were probably never going to be on my menu again but everyone is different.

It can be confusing and it's something that I wish the NUT's would expand upon in the seminars.

One reason I think they don't is because of the different types of surgeries the audience may be having. Bypass vs sleeve.

I remember going through a weird period at the 3-7 week post op where I was not feeling great about things. I was not really happy with the current menu redundancy and limited flavors or textures.

What I grew to understand is that was just a temporary state.

I now can safely have whatever I want to eat. The key is to eat in accordance with my goals, which right now is weight loss......so for me, sugar, Pasta, bread, pizza, starches and non-Fiber carbs are carved out of my daily eating. chicken, fish, steak and Vitamin supplementation are the rule of each day.

It's a breeze and I no longer have desires to each the stuff that doesn't support my goals. My body feels like it's firing on all cylinders and really getting tuned up.

You'll find what works for you.....stuff you can tolerate and still stay in weight loss.......stuff you can't. You'll have to determine how to best apply your learning toward a daily plan. There are no absolutes, simply the new ways and new healthy habits. I wish you the best and look forward to seeing you get the results you are after.

Pre-op I was permitted up to 50g carbs a day, I don't know how many are in the sugar in your coffer, but check how many grams a day your surgeon allows you, it may be workable.

That being said, sugar is basically poison. It's also a massive trigger for me and I try to avoid it, but it's all about your situation and how you can make this work for you, so call your surgeon.

Wats with topamax?

Topamax is an anti-seizure drug that is also used for Migraines and drug-induced weight gain. One of the major side effects is the complete inability to taste carbonation. You can't even feel the bubbles in your mouth. The soda tastes very acidic and outright disgusting.

Deleted

Edited by Barry W

Newbie here! Just started the process in December with a probable date in June if all hoops are jumped through. My surgeon requires a liver reduction diet which is also supposed to prepare me for my diet after surgery. I'm already at my surgery weight of 245 (5'3) and worry about losing too much more weight. My weight at referral was 277.

I will sorely miss Pasta, bread, and all those sweet carb Snacks but I'll survive. I have no idea how I will go completely sugar free. I have psudotumor cerebri and am completely banned from artificial sugars. I cannot stand stevia or surlacose. I'm on topamax so I can't taste carbonated drinks. coffee with cream and sugar in the morning is my life. I can substitute the cream but not the sugar.

Fruit! I love fruit! I eat two apples a day. Bananas are often Breakfast. Raspberries dessert or a snack. Oranges I can eat by the crate. I also have Vitamin deficiencies my pcp was trying to solve by food.

How strict are people with the liver diet? Is sugar absolutely a dealbreaker? Is fruit something I'm never going to be able to enjoy again?

Whole fruits are different than other sources of sugar. Not because it's fructose, but because first, most fruits have only a modest dose of sugar, AND because they have significant soluble Fiber, which slows the absorption of sugars into the bloodstream, greatly reducing hyperglycemia and hyperinsulemia. On top of that, whole fruits have lots of healthy Vitamins and other healthy phytochemicals. Two other healthy sources of carbs that have healthy nutrients and soluble Fiber are legumes - like chickpeas, black Beans and kidney Beans, and unsweetnened oatmeal.

Beyond the above, I'd be very conservative about eating sugars and starches. Your cravings for carbs will diminish within a few weeks as you cut them out.

What coffe do you drink and how do you brew it? I can drink a high quakity coffee brewed cold with no sweetener very easy.

If you can't have artificial sweetners, what are you going to use for Protein supplements early on? You need to reseach and work that out.

Whole fruits are different than other sources of sugar. Not because it's fructose, but because first, most fruits have only a modest dose of sugar, AND because they have significant soluble fiber, which slows the absorption of sugars into the bloodstream, greatly reducing hyperglycemia and hyperinsulemia. On top of that, whole fruits have lots of healthy Vitamins and other healthy phytochemicals. Two other healthy sources of carbs that have healthy nutrients and soluble fiber are legumes - like chickpeas, black Beans and kidney beans, and unsweetnened oatmeal.< /p>

Beyond the above, I'd be very conservative about eating sugars and starches. Your cravings for carbs will diminish within a few weeks as you cut them out.

I'm banned from all of the above.

What coffe do you drink and how do you brew it? I can drink a high quakity coffee brewed cold with no sweetener very easy.

If you can't have artificial sweetners, what are you going to use for Protein supplements early on? You need to reseach and work that out.

Cuban coffee and breves. Espresso machine. Espresso coffee. Typically french roast.

Nut has not mentioned Protein supplements. Apparently this program expects everyone to do it with food. 60-70 grams of protein a day via 5 meals.

I take topamax for Migraine headaches and can still taste carbonated beverages like normal

Congrats at being the lucky few. Though I take 300mg a day.

Edited by Lucrezaborgia

Whole fruits are different than other sources of sugar. Not because it's fructose, but because first, most fruits have only a modest dose of sugar, AND because they have significant soluble fiber, which slows the absorption of sugars into the bloodstream, greatly reducing hyperglycemia and hyperinsulemia. On top of that, whole fruits have lots of healthy Vitamins and other healthy phytochemicals. Two other healthy sources of carbs that have healthy nutrients and soluble fiber are legumes - like chickpeas, black Beans and kidney Beans, and unsweetnened oatmeal.

I'm banned from all of the above.

I am a little surprised by that, but you need to work with the advice of your doctors and nutritional advisors.

Cuban coffee and breves. Espresso machine. Espresso coffee. Typically french roast.

Nut has not mentioned Protein supplements. Apparently this program expects everyone to do it with food. 60-70 grams of protein a day via 5 meals.

You can't eat food in the very beginning with most programs. You start off on liquids and move to purees then soft foods. In these stages you usually have Protein shakes to supplement your protein intake. There are protein sources that do not have sweeteners but you need to research it.

If you love coffee, I would start looking into cold brew for post op. At least in the beginning. The acid from brewed coffee can be a bit much early on. I can handle it now no issues, but not in the beginning.

Could you maybe cold brew coffee and then mix it with almond milk or a flavorless Protein Drink for a touch of the coffee?

I mix cold brew coffee, ice and unflavored Protein Powder and a little half and half for Protein Shakes sometimes. So, yes

I take topamax for Migraine headaches and can still taste carbonated beverages like normal

I am the same. However, I will have one or two hiccups when drinking something carbonated lol

Many people lose weight on Topamax due to food losing taste, so there are actually a few wl drugs out there that have Topamax as a primary ingredient now.

Post op, I cannot drink soda. I've tried it out a time or two. As I said, my Topamax did not impact the taste. I have not been addicted to the caffeine, either. However, Water, even with a variety of flavorings falls flat for me, because well, it's flat. It's the carbonation I crave. However, my tummy has said NO! It feels like someone hooks an air hose up to my mouth - very uncomfortable.

Good luck, op. There are a variety of changes. However, we've all made them. Most, you will find are not as hard as you thought, because surgery results in fewer cravings, etc.