Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am so curious after watching the show SKIN TIGHT. I am 23, 5'8 315lbs and I am going through the steps now to get the sleeve. My goal weight is 180lbs and I'm now worried about loose excess skin. Anyone have bad excess skin after sleeve surgery? was surgery needed or did it eventually bounce back?

I am 25, and 295lbs and I am not really worried about it either. I really don't think the skin will be that bad, because if you think about it, it's not like skin will magically grow- You'll only have as much skin as you have right now. Even if it is bad, I'd rather have this skin at 155lbs than 295lbs :)

It is is a simple truth that if you have 100+ pounds to lose, you WILL have excess skin. How much excess skin and whether or not it is enough to justify surgery is completely individual. There are many factors that go into how much excess skin you'll have, starting weight, whether you've gained and lost a lot of weight over and over in the past, how fast you lose the weight, age, genetics.... There are a few things you can do to try to minimize excess skin, but there are no guarantees.

• Stay well hydrated. Water is great for your skin!
  • Moisturize daily. There are so many moisturizers on the market but look for ones with shae butter, collagen, and other proven ingredients.
  • Take your Vitamins. Many Vitamins can help with skin elasticity, including Vitamin C and E. You can also try some supplements that have been shown to help with skin elasticity, like beef Gelatin.
  • Strength training. Building muscle can help "fill out" loose skin.

My personal experience is that I lost and gained weight many times throughout my life. My biggest weight loss was 90 pounds back in 2010/2011. I had excess skin in my stomach and sagging breasts, so I had an extended Tummy Tuck and breast lift with augmentation. I went on to regain 80 of those pounds after my skin removal and before my sleeve. Now, post sleeve, I have lost almost 100 pounds. My stomach still looks great from the tummy tuck, but I have excess skin in my thighs, which I will likely have removed. I was 31 when I had my first round of plastics. I was 35 when sleeved and I'm now 36, almost 37.

I had the sleeve at 29 and went from 237 to 153. I then had my first plastics procedure because I had super saggy skin. I had my second plastics surgery 3 months later and then my third plastics procedure 4 months after that. I hit goal of 129 about 2 weeks after my last plastics procedure, although I had been within 5 pounds of goal since my second plastics procedure. Ultimately it doesn't really help you lose weight, but once you've lost a lot of weight, you will have extra skin. Research shows that those who have skin removal surgery retain their lost weight more often than those who do not, which is what ultimately made me decide to have everything done.

I do want to say that most of the patients they have featured so far on that show have been extreme cases. I also want to point out that you should NOT let fear of excess skin deter you from losing weight. Extra skin won't kill you, but excess weight very well may!

Right after my surgery I thought I will never go back to surgery, it's been a very rough 11 months, I was at goal weight after 6 months, and not I'm borderline underweight. I lost 121 lbs I do have loose skin, specially in my tummy, arms and inter tights. Well now I'm considering plastic surgery as soon as I feel stronger. If you are pre op don't worry about extra skin.

Research shows that those who have skin removal surgery retain their lost weight more often than those who do not, which is what ultimately made me decide to have everything done.

Once I spend the cost of a 3 Series BMW to get my body right, I sure won't be getting fat again.

Not only are the cases on the show extreme. The doctors are terrible.

Also people don't tell how they lose weight and what their nutrition is like. That matters a lot how you end up in the end.

That is for sure! Dr. Nowzaradan is a bariatric surgeon. WTF is he doing performing plastic surgery? I have never in my life, through all of my research of plastics and bariatric surgery heard of a surgeon that was doing both. They are both very highly specialized fields! I would never let a bariatric surgeon perform plastics on me or vice versa. It's insane!

And the two younger doctors on the show... what is up with them doing tummy tucks with no muscle repair? That's pretty useless!

RIGHT! I hope the show paid for the botched procedures. After watching the extreme skin, I am definitely saving for a just in case procedure.

That is for sure! Dr. Nowzaradan is a bariatric surgeon. WTF is he doing performing plastic surgery? I have never in my life, through all of my research of plastics and bariatric surgery heard of a surgeon that was doing both. They are both very highly specialized fields! I would never let a bariatric surgeon perform plastics on me or vice versa. It's insane!

And the two younger doctors on the show... what is up with them doing tummy tucks with no muscle repair? That's pretty useless!

RIGHT! I hope the show paid for the botched procedures. After watching the extreme skin, I am definitely saving for a just in case procedure.

The good news is, there are lots of amazing plastic surgeons in this world. I was thrilled with mine and plan to go back to her for a thigh lift eventually. My Tummy Tuck looks AMAZING. If I'd ended up with something like what I've seen on that show, I would be very disappointed! Definitely hope the show is footing the bill for those surgeries and the revisions that are certain to be needed down the road!

No muscle repair, no Lipo, everyone of their patients have a shelf and a terrible scar.

No muscle repair, no Lipo, everyone of their patients have a shelf and a terrible scar.

Well, I'll cut them a little slack with the scar, because we aren't really seeing the patients a year or more out, when scars will really start to fade. But the no muscle repair or lipo makes it truly just "skin removal" surgery, which is not what most people think when they think of a Tummy Tuck. It will definitely require later revision with muscle repair for anyone to get the "flat stomach" they are hoping for.

My issues with the wounds is they have so many that pop open, and become infected. Some of that seems to be from lack of proper post op care, not wear the right garments and their suture techniques.

My issues with the wounds is they have so many that pop open, and become infected. Some of that seems to be from lack of proper post op care, not wear the right garments and their suture techniques.

Yeah it does seem like every single one of them has incisions come open at some point, which is really weird. None of my incisions ever came apart at all and I had hundreds and hundreds of subdermal sutures. I did have a few spit stitches, but that's very common. And what is that yellow goop that I am seeing on all their incisions on that show? I never had anything like that. I very briefly had steri-strips and then just nothing at all covering my incisions besides my compression garments. Have they even talked about compression garments on that show?

Edit: In this most recent episode the woman had a breast lift and augmentation and they showed her shortly after with just and abdominal binder and a camisole on. I was like where the f*** is her surgical bra?!?! And just a binder for the Tummy Tuck that soon out?