Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Monday. I'm about to back out!

I hope you went thru with surgery.. Worst part for me is not being able to guzzle water!! I love drinking Water and now i have tho take Tiny sips or i get an awful chest pain. After eating Im so thirsty.. Waiting the 30-45 minds to drink something is tuff

I've been able to guzzle my Water for months now. The guzzling can commence....a few months after the healing. If I couldn't guzzle, I'd never be able to get in all my Water each day!!

Hopefully you went through with flying colors.

At the end of the day, you know that this is the best decision. You know that this will make you immeasurably healthier and happier should you really want to be.

It's hard to imagine going forward and being successful at something without your go-to crutches. The great thing is that us pre-op folks have about a gazillion stories telling us that it won't be nearly as bad as we envision during our moments of panic.

Keep your head up. You're on the right path. Don't look back.

Don't give in to the fear. I had my surgery 11/19 and right up until they wheeled me to the OR I was thinking up escape plans. I have high BP that is already going down and look forward to having my meds reduced. My blood sugar just hit the point that my doctor prescribed metformin. I was afraid to take it because of the horrible side effects so that's what spurred me on to surgery.I filled that prescription one time and never took it. My fasting blood sugar in November was 120 and now it's 90. Doctor says that number will keep improving as the weight goes down. I could barely walk due to severe arthritis in the hip. I am up to 1 hour a day jogging in the pool with no pain and am hoping to avoid joint replacement surgery. In a few short months I've lost almost 60 lbs, my health has statistically improved and I feel so much better mentally and physically. I still have days where it's hard and I "regret" the surgery but that's on days when I'm having a pity party because I can't eat or drink like I used to. A nutritionist told me "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels" and I can't wait to get there.

Hi Frank,

You are not alone! I backed out 3 yrs. ago, with surgery scheduled, due to a lot of the same concerns you raise. Also, thought, "I can do this without such a drastic step"...nope. So I went thru the entire 6 mos. process again, and had the sleeve surgery Mon., Jan. 25. Now is probably not the best time to ask my opinion, since I am still in the very beginning of recovery and not feeling great, but I do know that I did this to have a healthier and longer life. Trust yourself, weigh the balances and you'll make the best decision for you! :)

Has anyone heard from/about our friend, Frankenstein???

Hey all, I'm still here. I am not going to lie or sugar coat anything, yesterday was rough for me. The gas pains were brutal, unlike anything I've ever felt. They come on fast, peak, then dissipate quickly, over and over. Mine were mostly in my upper abdomen, but I know others who had there's in their back and shoulders too. So I guess I'm lucky in that part. The abdomen was enough!! I fought through it and I kept making myself get out of bed and walk, as my surgeon advised. I had immediate family visiting me yesterday, but I was basically useless, sleeping, and walking when possible.

I was released from the hospital today, I asked my surgeon if I could stay another night and he said no problem. I don't know what I would have done if they told me to go home yesterday. I feel at least 50% better than yesterday now. I passed a lot of gas overnight and through the morning, which I'm sure was the cause. So that is a plus, and I'll take anything I can get at this point! Hopefully tomorrow is better still. Which I am trying to be positive that it will.

I am definitely finding it a challenge to drink a lot of fluids. I've had half a water bottle of Water, about 8 oz of Protein Shake, and 3 sugar free Popsicles. I'm hoping to get more in tomorrow as well. I know I need too. I'm thinking that this is just a stage from surgery being just two days ago.

I'm down for any advice or tips going forward.

Thank you all for your comments and concerns again!

Popsicles kept me from dehydration since it is so hard to drink at first. You are so smart to have gotten them ahead of time. Keep the fluids going!!! So happy you are on the mend!

I've checked this about 20 time today hoping to hear from ya Frank!! I'm sure it does suck right now and I'm sure I'll have some of the same problems in a few weeks as well.. But it's good to hear from ya Ole Boy!!

Well, there you are!!!! I was beginning to worry :)

Anyway, WELCOME TO THE LOSERS' BENCH!!!!! Now starts the rest of your life...

sugar free popsicles are a god sent. Use them--enjoy them. They can be your best friend right now. --even slushy clear Protein drinks. Just get the fluids in--focus on that right now. Everything else will fall into place.

I am surprised that you can have Protein shakes. But I guess every surgeon has his own protocol. Follow it.

--so delighted to welcome you to the bench and please keep in touch--OFTEN!

We've been there--done that--and hopeful can be of some help to you.

"You done good". :)

Valentina

Edited by Valentina

Hey all, I'm still here. I am not going to lie or sugar coat anything, yesterday was rough for me. The gas pains were brutal, unlike anything I've ever felt. They come on fast, peak, then dissipate quickly, over and over. Mine were mostly in my upper abdomen, but I know others who had there's in their back and shoulders too. So I guess I'm lucky in that part. The abdomen was enough!! I fought through it and I kept making myself get out of bed and walk, as my surgeon advised. I had immediate family visiting me yesterday, but I was basically useless, sleeping, and walking when possible.

I was released from the hospital today, I asked my surgeon if I could stay another night and he said no problem. I don't know what I would have done if they told me to go home yesterday. I feel at least 50% better than yesterday now. I passed a lot of gas overnight and through the morning, which I'm sure was the cause. So that is a plus, and I'll take anything I can get at this point! Hopefully tomorrow is better still. Which I am trying to be positive that it will.

I am definitely finding it a challenge to drink a lot of fluids. I've had half a Water bottle of water, about 8 oz of Protein Shake, and 3 sugar free Popsicles. I'm hoping to get more in tomorrow as well. I know I need too. I'm thinking that this is just a stage from surgery being just two days ago.

I'm down for any advice or tips going forward.

Thank you all for your comments and concerns again!

Glad to hear you went through with it.Everyday will get better.You did it....the normal discomforts of feeling like you got "hit by a truck".Each day will get better.Try to walk as much as possible .

Hi Frank, glad to hear from you. The key is a positive attitude, the newness of the surgery will pass soon and when you see the results you'll be happy you went through it. Take one day at a time and keep walking you'll be as good as new in no time.

Welcome home!

I too am very happy to hear from you!

Thank you for checking in, this is helpful to all of us other anxious people <- Mine is on the first in just a few days and I'm terrified, too. So hearing from you really helps.

Does anyone have a favorite popsicle brand that's natural and naturally sugar free? Or is that impossible because real fruit would have sugar? Confused. I just instantly think of sugar free Popsicle artificial.

How much walking is involved? Sometimes I think all that walking will hurt more than the gas pains cause of my knees and feet problems. lol

BIG HUGS

In case anyone is following this thread for help... Everyday gets better than the last, I had surgery Monday, and I'm feeling pretty damn good right now... Wounds ache a bit more, which means they are healing well, gas pains are pretty much minimal.... I've been walking at least a half mile a day, I can do more( I don't want to push it). A little tired at times, getting in fluids is challenging first week for sure, but everyday it seems I can get a little more in everyday! I'll be ready to go back to work I'm hoping after week two!

I am so glad I had this done now! I'll keep adding to this post now and again...

Cheers all! ~ Frank