Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calorie Target

Hello Gentlemen,

​I'm about 18 months out from VSG and am down 92lbs. I haven't lost any weight in probably 12 months. I also haven't gained any so I'm not complaining. I am very happy with my results.

​​I would love to lose the last 25lb spare tire. It seems like I've tried everything. I eat CLEAN and meticulously measure and log food portions into MyFitnessPal. I'm getting 1,600 calories per day, aiming mostly for 50% Protein / 30% carbs / 20% fat. I usually exercise 30min cardio per week but recently upped this to 60 min/day 6 days/wk, alternating between weights & cardio.

​I go to these fitness sites and their calculators put me at needing anywhere from 2000-2500 calories/day for weight loss. But I'm at 1,600 and not losing anything - what gives? I've tried eating 2000 calories for a few days and I gained weight. Anyone else run into this? Is 1,600 my sweet spot for the rest of my life?

​Thanks

Hi, not sure about that 1600. My (very competent folks) NUT and PA want me at 800-1200 calorie range, but last visit (at 9 month post WLS) NUT said "Don't care about calories! Just get 5 (low sugar) fruits and veges a day and 80 g of Protein and 80 oz of water" This is my mantra now, also exercise of course.

My weight loss has leveled out, too, the spare tire is on 19 inch rims.... but frankly, getting used to the almost 120 pound loss and don't mind too much this slow time, but definitely plan on having that tire gone!

I am down 138lbs, 7lbs from goal. I am positive my flat tire will not go away without surgery.

I am a normal weight for my height but if I lost all my loose skin from this massive weight loss I would likely be on the low end of the BMI chart.

Oh and I get between 1000 and 1200 calories a day and 70 to 80 grams of Protein. If I increase my calories above 1200 I gain. If I go above 1000 the loss is extremely slow, maybe 1 or 2 lbs per month.

I have a feeling this will be my new norm.

Yeah 1600 calories? it sounds like your trying to gain not lose? which is where weight training comes in, Is it possible you're gaining muscle and losing fat? Absolutely. if you want to lose, then lose if you want to swap fat for muscle then the number really isnt going to matter. i average about 800 to 1000 calories a day, and i do 45 mins to an hour ( usually around 12 to 15 miles ) on an exercise bike at high revs and intervals 6 days a week. ( even god rested on the 7th day lol) and even at that your body gets used to how its being run and i might lose a pound every two weeks or so. Unfortunately you are long past the honeymoons stages, and id have to ask not just how many calories you are taking in, but from what? just straight up Proteins? are you eating grains? how many carbs? any sugars? how much fat? etc.

Its not as simple as the calorie deficit, thats been totally disproven. the human body isnt just a fireplace, its a chemical factory and the wrong calories will make the weight not come off.

I started around 330 and am now 220... I eat about 1200 calories a day and am losing 10+ pounds a month with just a little exercise. This is a pretty close to what the formulas would predict (~2000 calorie resting metabolic rate, so 2000 - 1200 = 800 calorie deficit * 30 days = 24,000 negative calories / 3500 calories per pound = ~7 pounds per month).

These are all formulas based on studies of many different types of people averaged out... the reality is that nobody is average and there are error rates for every formula. It's possible that for you 1600 is maintenance reality and you need to go lower to lose weight.

I've also experienced times in the past (although not for 12 months) where I have started eating the same foods over and over and my body stalls. Have you tried mixing up your diet (throw in some red meat or liver if you don't normally eat that, change the veggies or fruits you're eating, etc)?

1600 could be the problem, depending on how much you weigh what your goal weight is. I have read a few times that our calorie intake should average our goal weight times 10. For you, if your goal weight is 160 or more, you could be eating too much,

Of course, as we all know, a calorie is not always a calorie and the level of activity/exercise also matters.

Here's one story from Dr. Oz...

http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/lisa-lynn/fat-loss-tricks-actually-work

Thanks for all the replies. I eat 100g net carbs or less per day, all complex carbs and veggies. I also tend to eat the exact same things every day so I think I'll start with these - lower the carbs and change up my foods a bit.

I'm 6' 200lbs and my goal is 170. I'm doing p90x and they estimate it to burn 600 calories/day but I think it's safer to estimate it at 400.

You may be building heavy muscles with all that PX90, that would explain a lot.

I'm 9 months post op. I average 750-900 cal. a day, mostly lean Protein and veggies. Weight loss has slowed but still losing 10-15 lbs a month. I am able to eat larger portions now but just because i CAN doesn't mean I SHOULD. I have begun dabbling in carbs, you know the simple ones that got us to this forum in the first place. My body clings to them like a drowning man to a rope. Any weight loss comes to a SCREECHING halt. I can even gain several pounds in a day. WTF!!! I have two things only on my no go list, carbonation and alcohol. I tried both once, and did NOT like the results for either. I look at it this way, I know there is poison ivy in the woods. As hard as I try to avoid it, sometimes it gets me. But if I start to itch, I know what to do about it. After a little while it goes away. Once in a blue moon though, I'll get naked and roll in a patch of it, and later ask myself if it was worth it... My NUT suggested 1-2 T. of grains per day AFTER I reach my goal as a way to slow weight loss(also switching to full fat dairy-milk and cheeses). Keep up your hard work, it pays off!