Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Green Tea Tastes Like Feet

Although I am well aware of the metabolic and nutritional benefits of green tea, I still think it tastes like dirty feet and twigs. I stumbled across a mention of the value that ginger, lemon and tumeric (which is in the ginger family) can add, so I put fresh ginger and tumeric on the shopping list. I made some up and gave green tea another chance. Bang! I actually like it and get extra energy from it.

Funny thing though. My boyfriend does the marketing and picked up jicama instead of tumeric. We had never used it before, so we looked up its uses. It is verrrrrry low calorie and high Fiber and taste kinda like Water chestnuts. I use it now to cut in strips and dip in hummus, or dice and throw into the Soup pot. It picks up the flavor of whatever you cook it with.

One other thing I want to try is this trick that my boyfriend uses to make baked chips from the sunchokes he grows in his Mediterranean garden. He peels the root and cuts it into thin rounds and lays them on a foil lined cookie sheet. Then he drizzles them with olive oil and sprinkles black pepper and cayenne on them and bakes til they are crisp. We use very little salt, so he doesn't add any. They are spicy enough.

Here is the link to the tasty green tea recipe. The only thing I do different is that I uses pieces of ginger instead of powdered, and add some pieces of the fresh tumeric, too. The recipe makes enough base to have four servings of tea. The recipe says iced, but hot is just as fine.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/lemon-ginger-iced-green-tea

Have you ever tried matcha? It's ground green tea leaves. It has a very unique flavor. I LOVE to make smoothies out of it. I do 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk, a teaspoon of matcha, a handful of frozen fruit and blend. Yum yum yum!

Whenever I drank plain hot green tea it tasted like what I imagined drinking an ashtray would taste like. GROSS.

I do like the green tree infused with fruit flavors though. I am going to try jicama now. I would like a crunchy, low cal snack!

I recently got a spiralizer and discovered spiralized rutabaga tastes fantastic as "pasta" with spaghetti sauce!! It's a pain in the butt to spiralize but it's worth it.

Never heard of matcha, but on your recommendation, I will check it out.

All tea is nasty, green tea especially so. Blech.

Jicama is yummy. Look for a good recipe that you think you would like for jicama slaw. There are many variations from Asian to Mexican.

I like this one:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/jicama-slaw-recipe.html

and this one:

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/jicama-slaw

Plain green tea tastes like feet LOL!!! My thoughts were boiled lawn clippings.

To me, green tea really doesn't have any taste to it so I might as well be drinking plain Water. In an effort to get the benefits of green tea, though, I will brew a bag of green tea along with a bag of my most favorite tea - Constant Comment. Preparing it like this it get all the things I want - benefits of green tea, tastes good, and taste of black tea. Add in a little sweetener, and sometimes a little cream when drinking it hot, and it helps to add a little zip to my doodah. :) In fact, I think I'll go make me a cup now. Happy sipping everyone!

Have you tried jasmine green tea? I don't like normal green tea but jasmine is great hot or cold.

Jicama is awesome! You can add it to any kind of sauce or saute it if you want something with a bit of crunch in it.

Love jicama. I have had it in Mexico on vacation many times. One salad was tossed with mango and line. So good!

Re green tea, check out all the flavors of green tea on RepublicOfTea.com. they even have Decaf versions.

Add me to the love jicama crowd!

Green tea is okay. I like to drink it with a little sweetener to get my Water in. I can't deal with it not sweetened, though.

I absolutely love jicama!! I eat it as a snack in the evening with cucumbers, green apple, lime a Mexican fruit chili powder. It fills me up and love the crunchy feeling.

I need to try the green tea with tumeric and lime. I was reading the other day about the benefits of tumeric.

Well I am in the green tea tastes like steeped hay camp. I will have to try some of the recommendations above. Thanks for all the ideas ladies!

We had a foreign exchange student from China living with us when my children were in high school. His mother came over to visit, saw I was a "chubby" person and told me I needed to drink green tea. Tried it, hated it as it tasted like warm grass.

I hate jicama too!

I am obsessed with the Jade Citrus Mint green tea from Teavana - it is heavenly! My absolute favorite tea ever!

I am in the camp who loves tea: green or otherwise.

My absolute favorite is Harney & Sons Hot Cinnamon Spice (it comes in regular and decaf). It is naturally sweet and comforting, especially when it is cold out.

I like to brew some mint along with my green tea.

Last night I had a cup of Harney & Sons Valentine blend (chocolate and rose). It wan't Decaf but I am allowed one cup of non-decaf tea a day.

I have a good green tea and rose blend from our local tea shop (Elmwood Inn, they ship all over and blend some lovely tea). The last time I was there I picked up some blueberry decaf which is delish.

I just picked up bags of peppermint, spearmint, and sassafras from one of our local Amish stores.

Did I mention I love tea and Herb infusions!