Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Auto immune disorder AFTER bypass?

I had full gastric bypass may 27th 2014. Lost 96lbs in 6 months. Had emergency surgery to remove my gallbladder 5 months after surgery. 10 months after surgery I got pregnant. Two weeks after I delivered my healthy and perfect baby boy, I have serious auto immune disorder symptoms. Waiting for my feb 1st appointment with a rheumatologist to find out my diagnosis. It's been suggested that it's RA. I'm only 33 with a newborn. Anyone else know if and why bypass could cause this??

There are A LOT of autoimmune disorders other than RA, and working with a good rheumatologist who will run a lot of tests will help you get to the bottom of it. I do not believe anything actually causes auto-immune disorders. The stress from the surgeries and pregnancy may have caused it to finally reveal itself but not cause it. I was diagnosed with Graves Disease (an autoimmune disorder affecting thyroid) at age 43. It runs in my family. My first cousin was diagnosed with it at age 23. Mine just didn't raise it's head until after some other physical stressors I went through.

I know it is scary, but do your best to try not to focus on it. You cannot change anything and a good rheumo will help you treat it. Best of luck to you! Keep us posted. And meanwhile do your best to stick to the program.

I am definitely with Daisee on this one. Autoimmune illnesses hide themselves until your body is stressed and then they show themselves.

I have both psoriatic arthritis and Graves' disease.

My Mom had rheumatoid arthritis.

If it turns out to be RA, there are a lot of great biologics that stop the progression and take away the symptoms. I take biologics for my psoriatic arthritis and it has really helped my disease.

@@DDBug I have lupus and have had it for many years. The funny thing about this sucky disease is that it goes dormant for long periods of time and pops up to torture me just when I think I'm "over it". Being pregnant can often either aggravate an auto immune disorder or put it in remission. For me, my 7 kiddos kept my lupus in remission for a long time. Now that I don't have any more babies(youngest will be 2 in June) my lupus is back to flaring up again. I have a friend who also has lupus and her pregnancy caused her skin to peel off and all her hair to fall out. It's a wicked wicked thing! I don't think rny can cause an auto immune disorder, but it could possibly stress the body enough to create the symptoms to pop up or appear worse.

Thank you all for responding. More info as I left it out by mistake; about a month after I balanced out on my weight loss of 96lbs (7 months after surgery) the symptoms first began with joint swelling and pain. I was being looked at for Autoimmune issues then. That was the first time RA was suggested by Dr.'s. Lymes was ruled out then. As I was supposed to be tested for RA and or other disorders, I found out I was pregnant. I stopped that avenue of testing and put all focus on the baby. Through my pregnancy all symptoms went away and I felt great. For two months before the pregnancy I had my right knee joint drained twice and my hands and fingers were so swollen and painful that I could barely use them. During the pregnancy it was as if I never had an issue. Two weeks after he was born when my hormones were rushing back in place (and all over, lol) the symptoms returned and ten times worse. Could it be hormone driven? These disorders do not run in my family. Could I have had it my whole life but never knew it because it was dormant until the drastic weigh loss? It just seems so coincidental after the surgery, then gallbladder, then it "started", stopped and turned up again after I gave birth.

@@DDBug

Yes, it could have been dormant this whole time and the combination of weight loss and pregnancy so soon after major surgery could have stressed your body.

Have you had the tests yet for RA? If it is RA you will want to learn everything you can and get on a biologic drug that will stop the progression before it damages your joints.

A lot of the symptoms you are describing is very similar to that disease. I have psoriatic arthritis in which both my joints and my skin are impacted.

As I said, the good news is these drugs are available and they work. When my Mom had RA, these drugs were not readily available and RA can cause crippling arthritis. In her case, that is exactly what happened. I think at the time she passed Humira was the newest drug on the market but the damage was already done with her.

I feel for you, the pain from arthritis can be debilitating. Get yourself tested and on good medications a sap if that is what it is.

Hugs and prayers.....

Thank you! I'm counting down the days until my appointment to get tested. I just hope I get an answer. Not being able to care for my son without exceptional pain is awful.

Hi DDBug,

I am praying that you get good news at your appointment. In the event that you find that it is RA, though, please look up Dr John McDougall (a doctor whose diet has been shown to halt numerous autoimmune disorders - he provides all his info for free) and Dr Garth Davis (a Bariatric surgeon who recommends a McDougall-like diet to his patients). Both are leaders in their fields and will be easy to google.

Congratulations on your baby boy and your weight loss. I hope you get some answers soon!

Yes I also have these issues. my immune system is non existent. Ive needed Iron infusions and blood transfusions. I developed severe anemia. My hematologist told me most of his patients that are not cancer patients are almost all people who have had weight loss surgery. I am constantly sick. Had I known this would happen I think I would have done more to lose weight on my own. I have also gained back 75 lbs in 9 years. My pouch is still small and I still regained anyway. Dr says this is usually the rule. Im much worse off than before surgery.

For what it's worth, autoimmune disease is nothing like having a shot immune system. Sorry you are having such trouble @@abenamati!