Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Study Says People with WLS are generally....

Anxiety was my hidden surprise too. I apparently smothered that with food and fat before, I am finally mastering it in healthy ways but been working on it for a few years.

While I agree exercise has helped lessen the depression it didn't go away and I still go through rough bouts, especially now in the winter. What I didn't expect was to develop anxiety problems after weight loss surgery. No amount of exercise helps it. I'm hesitant to go on any medication because any and all medications make me gain weight. I've tried different coping skills but still struggling.

I was going through a particularly stressful time last year and my anxiety got so bad I was taking it out on my jaw at night. I developed excruciating nerve pains shooting across my face at random times and went to my doctor. He gave me a low dose of Xanax to relax more during sleep and break the grinding habit (in addition to a mouth guard). It took two months to get better.

I've noticed now when I'm stressed I seem to tighten my neck or clench my jaw. So I keep my tongue between my teeth and relax my jaw as often as I can.

When I reach a breaking/boiling point I immediately want food to cope with anxiety but I know I can't use that so then I try deep breathing, counting, walk away and go get something to drink, etc. but it's gotten to the point I'm going to extremes in my head like wanting to quit my job because I'm stressed. Or throat punch someone because they piss me off. Or burn my house down because it has gotten out of hand. Running to Linkin Park makes me feel better afterwards but I have a hard time dealing with things in the moment without jumping to extremes. Before surgery I would go get a cake/ice cream/French fries and stuff my face then sleep it off.

My anxiety/stress levels are thru the roof right now. My husband lost his job, just before New Years and well, you can imagine it was a hard blow to take right after Christmas and just before my daughters birthday at Walt Disney world, so yes I'm hating life right now. Just weighed in this morning at 249 for a 99lb loss and haven't really smiled once about it. It seems so insignificant compared to the real world problems my family is facing right now. But, I have seen a small light at the end of the tunnel.... I totally want to eat everything in sight (as that I live with my elderly in laws and cook for them as well as my hubby and kids. we're Cuban and food=life) BUT I Physically can't, it makes me sick to my stomach. So, I take a couple bites of good Proteins and I'm done. Ughhh things will turn around hopefully...eventually. Hang in there guys!

Edited by UalreadyKnow

My mom was Bi Polar, my dad clinically depressed, so I hit the genetic lottery. I have suffered from clinical depression my whole life. I have also been steadily medicated for it with various anti depressants, some better than others. I just accepted the fact that I would have to be on them for the rest of my life.

I don't know if it's the excersise, the mostly clean diet, the new outlook on life, or a combination of all three, but I havn't needed anti depressants since my surgery almost 18 months ago. My doctor is thrilled, although is also a little amazed that I seem to have been completely cured of my depression.

This surgery has been such a miracle is so many ways.

@@Babbs I am so happy for you! !!

I have an amazing life. ..more than I could have dreamed for given my childhood roots. I am blessed on ALL FRONTS which makes accepting my anxiety issue doubly painful. For decades I "willed" my way through life...and that was the hard path.

It started with self honesty, then sharing with a few very trusted friends, and frankly now announcing it publicly. Naming the bitch has helped me tremendously.

I have anxiety struggles for no reason except that I do. (We all have reasons but I have so much that it is foolish to focus on those pain points ). What I choose for myself is a different way forward. I don't swallow it, I don't bury it, I don't try to hide it anymore. What a relief!

People say depression and anxiety go hand in hand, maybe, but anxiety is really a different thing for me. It is feeling "too much" which is why food and obesity were such a great mask..the. numbing.

I am so much better and continue to live a better life over time. ..I wish the same for all.

@@Babbs -- I didn't know that about your genetic heritage. I'm so happy you're feeling well these days. :)

I haven't suffered from chronic depression, but certainly felt depressed by the situation I was in when I was obese and barely moving. Anyone who isn't healthy or living the kind of life they think is possible may feel depressed. These days, I also feel so much better than I did a couple of years ago!

If anyone ever needs or wants to talk feel free to PM me. I'm here for you.

Exercise VERY much improves depression. My Husband suffers, and when he isn't running every day, I notice it.. when he stops for a week or more, the mood in our house is horrible.. Since he has been constantly at it, he is like a different person. We spent 10 years together, and him suffering from it, before I saw how much running helps him.

My wife loves this post! The eye opener for me is that I also notice when I skip or stop working out. We've been married for 35 years and since WLS we have both noticed the calmer me, but, I never thought of it until now.