Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello please...Not feeling well

I had gb on 12/14 then a revision to repair a leak 12/20. I've been feeling pretty well but there are some days where I can't stomach my Protein shakes and overall don't feel well.

It's like a yuck feeling vs I need to go to the E.R. Is that normal? Has anyone else experienced this?

Edited by drw2

It is common to encounter problems with Protein shakes after surgery. In my opinion most taste terrible. But having said this there are a variety out there, and the key is to experiment until you find one you can tolerate. The operative word is "Tolerate". You don't have to like it, just be able to drink them.

As your meal volume increases, if you concentrate on high Protein meals, you will be able to reduce the number of Protein Shakes per day. I started out with 3 per day, and then as the protein from my meals increased I was able to drop to 2, then 1. And for the last year, I have not had any. (I tracked my protein intake.)

I had gb on 12/14 then a revision to repair a leak 12/20. I've been feeling pretty well but there are some days where I can't stomach my Protein shakes and overall don't feel well.

It's like a yuck feeling vs I need to go to the E.R. Is that normal? Has anyone else experienced this?

Hi

How did you find out you had a leak?

Thanks

Are you getting all of your fluids? If you are dehydrated, that can make you feel generally yucky. If it goes on long enough you can get very ill.

I had a temp of 101.5 and went to the er. They completed a ct scan and it showed I might have one so my Dr went back in and it looked like at one point a I had a microscopic leak and my body repaired it. When my body did that it created a small pocket of bacteria so my Dr cleaned that up and put in two drains and a feeding tube (to my old stomach). Needless to say I've been to hell and back lol. However, despite complications (which anyone has a chance of) I wouldn't change it. God has healed me and is con't to do so :-)

I'm off of my feeding tube. I still have it in, for the next four weeks bc my stomach has to heal around it before it can be pulled. I got my last drain out last week.

I hope this doesn't scare anyone but seriously I wouldn't change it. I knew the risks going in but of course didn't think they'd happen to me but they did and I had/have an amazing Dr. who has taken wonderful care of me.

As for liquids, I'm trying so hard. I literally sip all day and I'm having hard time getting 64oz in. I usually get my Protein in but today I can't stomach the shakes. :(

Edited by drw2

Try thinking of what you can add Protein powder to. I don't mind Protein shakes, but, I found one I like that mixes well with milk. The other thing I do is add chocolate Protein Powder to vanilla greek yogurt. It essentially creates a pudding-like texture.

There are also unflavored protein powders out there as well as protein infused items through various websites.

I had my surgery 12/28...I am on full linguistic and I am not loving any of these Protein drinks....they all have either stevia or succoralose and I hate them....

I had a temp of 101.5 and went to the er. They completed a ct scan and it showed I might have one so my Dr went back in and it looked like at one point a I had a microscopic leak and my body repaired it. When my body did that it created a small pocket of bacteria so my Dr cleaned that up and put in two drains and a feeding tube (to my old stomach). Needless to say I've been to hell and back lol. However, despite complications (which anyone has a chance of) I wouldn't change it. God has healed me and is con't to do so :-)

I'm off of my feeding tube. I still have it in, for the next four weeks bc my stomach has to heal around it before it can be pulled. I got my last drain out last week.

I hope this doesn't scare anyone but seriously I wouldn't change it. I knew the risks going in but of course didn't think they'd happen to me but they did and I had/have an amazing Dr. who has taken wonderful care of me.

As for liquids, I'm trying so hard. I literally sip all day and I'm having hard time getting 64oz in. I usually get my Protein in but today I can't stomach the shakes. :(

Wow sure sounds like you went through a lot! I am glad you are on your road to recovery!

How was the repair surgery? Did it take a long time?

I am in the lap band to RNY revision process, definitely terrified of complications but I am trying not to let it stop me from going something that will give me hope to lose the extra weight I have been carrying all my life.

The repair took about two hrs according to my husband who apparently was pacing the waiting room ha ha.

Honestly though the pain I was in after the 1st surgery was horrible. I was in so much pain, couldn't walk, barely move and we thought it was bc I was just a baby. After praying for God to give us a sign on what to do my fever spiked and we knew to go to the ER. After the second I was up walking around. It was AMAZING!!! A total 180