Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Suggestions on this surprise pleeeeeeease? :-D

When should I give it to him?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. When should I give it to him?

• Christmas
    • Birthday (May 25)
    • Other (Please explain?)

I've been with Chris for about 9½ years, and this year, under the piddly

fireworks display in our little hometown, we got to talking about his best friend, who he hasn't seen since the night of their high school graduation 7 years ago. Apparently, where he lives, there's this beautiful river and their fireworks display is awesome over it. We kept watching the fireworks and had a great time.

The next day, I called his best friend and asked what he thought of me

sending Chris up to visit him next year for a week over the 4th. He's thrilled, and we decided to keep it a secret between us until the reveal.

I wanted to jump the gun and book his flight ahead of time, but you can

only book 330 days in advance. So I have to wait another 3 weeks before I can book. I'm the kind of person who loves to know all the details and little bits'n'pieces as soon as I can... so I'm now trying to decide, in the mean time, how to do this.

Should I make it a Christmas gift, or for his birthday in late May? How should I package it? I want to give him his tickets and some spending money* (how much to give him?), now I'm just trying to figure out what to do and when!

I'm normally quite creative but I'm drawing a blank on this. Any suggestions? :cry

* He has a job but I am in charge of our finances, hence my "giving him spending money", it's just packaging it.

Well, you've heard of "Christmas in July" things... why not do "July in Christmas" --- make a coupon or booklet good for the trip... add in some sparklers, red-white-and-blue t-shirt, disposable camera, etc. and give it to him for xmas!?!?!!!?

Sounds like a lot of fun, however you decide to do it!!!

Keep us posted.

Make him go on a scavenger hunt for the stuff, then let him figure it all out. I would give him some sparklers, then a red white and blue hat or shirt. Then the plane tickets, then a photo of the friend, possibly standing in front of said river. ~Mandy

I know someone who did something similar in the Amazing Race Style...it was to a surprise birthday party, all the guests participated in the race and at the party surprised her with the trip!

Good luck!

Awesome, this is helpful, keep 'em coming, I have a feeling I'm going to be combining all these ideas!

How does Amazing race work? It's come through my hometown but I have no idea what it is. :guess

It is a series of clues that lead you to different places. You have to figure out the clue, go to that spot and find the next clue and so on......good luck!

Does your mate like surprises? I don't and I sure wouldn't like the kind of surprise where I would have to go on a hunt in order to discover what my damn surprise is going to be. That would be adding insult to injury. I mention this not in order to rain on your parade but because I have mated up with a man who comes from a family of surprise-o-holics. I find the stunts which they play on each other to be unnerving and that is the best spin I can put on these activities.

My husband has come to understand that I am one of those who loves advance warnings and now his approach to gift giving begins with his statement that he would like to give me ... and then he lists the category: jewellery, fountain pen, trip.... We then go hunting for my gift together and this works out much better. I will mention here that I tried to buy him those surprise gifts and they never, ever did work out. It turns out that he is as picky as I am.

Maybe your sweetie would like it if you came along with him when he sees his highschool buddy. And maybe he has a special time of year that would mean the most to him. If he is like me he is going to want to be able to participate in this scheme. Knowing that you are doing the leg work and paying the dime is all the present that folks like me need or want.

If, on the other hand, he is into surprises, then you go, grrl! Your idea sounds like a good one.

I think I'll avoid doing a scavenger hunt, because it's something that's traditional every. single. gift-giving occasion with his family... he's rather sick of it. I think I might go with a July in Christmas deal, but now to think of how to package it :-) I'm thinking of taking a picture of him from the side (he's used to me snapping photos all the time so it won't be odd) and maybe make a card in the shape of an airplane, and paste his photo in one of the windows, and package that with some patriotic stuff. Only downer to that is that most of the red, white, and blue stuff is gone from the one store we have in town. Oh well, I'll think of something!

Thank you all SO much! I'm so excited, I get all giddy every time his friend calls, or any time I see a plane! :D

try ebay for red white and blue stuff. ~Mandy

I would say not to give it to him in May for his birthday, just because you want him to have enough notice to get the time off of work and whatnot...

Yeah, I figure on Christmas because I know I can't wait that long! LOL I'm excited to give this to him, so I'll be doing it on Christmas. It'll be the first time in several years there will be a gift on Christmas, usually we choose to enjoy our time together and try to save some money for something for the two of us. I will gladly break the rules though because I think he'll love this.

It's cute, his best friend is so excited! And he's not alone, that's for sure! :)