Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sensitive question: How often do you go?

hi all :)

Sorry to be asking this question :) but I spend upwards of 10 hours a day with very limited access to a toilet. And I am wondering if this is going to be a problem for me.

How often do you go to the bathroom after the Mini Gastric Bypass? And is it an inconvenience?

Do you have to go the moment you eat?

Thank you, and sorry :D

First, not everyone is the same and I have talked with a few people who have trouble going and deal with a lot of Constipation. Then there are others like me as well. In the beginning (once I was off liquids) I would literally go sometimes 10-12x per day !! I have to still be very careful what I eat because some things still set me off without much notice ! I have times it is literally emergency situation and I'm driving 70 mph in panic mode trying to make it the 7 miles home from my office and that was as recent as Wednesday. I'm 8 months post op, I have more less trained my body to go in the evening and overnight and first thing in the morning and I eat to accommodate that schedule. If I didn't have access to a bathroom for 10 hours I wouldn't eat a thing ! I would be scared to death ! Again just my experience and not all have this wonderful side effect that I have. Also TMI but it's like nothing Iv ever experienced, I used to sneak across to a bathroom in a gas station when I needed to go because I work in a small not very private office and after 2-3x they closed their bathroom to outsiders ! Yeah, because of me :(

I had a full RNY and I am one of those people who still after 15 months struggle to go. If I am lucky I go every 3 days and I take 3 doses of stool softener with a laxative in it.

I eat lots of vegetables and fruits so this is not the issue, it is simply the way it is. It can be very frustrating.

I will say that first 2 weeks after surgery while on a clear liquid diet I had the opposite issue and was afraid to leave home because of it. As soon as I started drinking Protein shakes and eating lots of Protein that changed.

I think (though correct me if I'm wrong) the bypass with MGB is longer than with RNY therefore I don't feel it is necessarily a good indicator of what her experience would be. My bypass is almost 9' which is why I have this side effect. There is a MGB group on FB that is very helpful and has so much support and information. Perhaps ask to join and post this there as well.

First, not everyone is the same and I have talked with a few people who have trouble going and deal with a lot of Constipation. Then there are others like me as well. In the beginning (once I was off liquids) I would literally go sometimes 10-12x per day !! I have to still be very careful what I eat because some things still set me off without much notice ! I have times it is literally emergency situation and I'm driving 70 mph in panic mode trying to make it the 7 miles home from my office and that was as recent as Wednesday. I'm 8 months post op, I have more less trained my body to go in the evening and overnight and first thing in the morning and I eat to accommodate that schedule. If I didn't have access to a bathroom for 10 hours I wouldn't eat a thing ! I would be scared to death ! Again just my experience and not all have this wonderful side effect that I have. Also TMI but it's like nothing Iv ever experienced, I used to sneak across to a bathroom in a gas station when I needed to go because I work in a small not very private office and after 2-3x they closed their bathroom to outsiders ! Yeah, because of me :(

Thank you, this was both helpful and very entertaining to read :) I also avoid eating or drinking if I am on traveling :D

Can you please tell me how did you train your body? I mean examples.

I think (though correct me if I'm wrong) the bypass with MGB is longer than with RNY therefore I don't feel it is necessarily a good indicator of what her experience would be. My bypass is almost 9' which is why I have this side effect. There is a MGB group on FB that is very helpful and has so much support and information. Perhaps ask to join and post this there as well.

I think it is shorter, I am not 100% sure. But what I know is that absorption of food is higher with MGB.

Will check the group thanks :)

I guess maybe train my body isn't the best choice of words, I just make sure I pay attention to what I eat when and I have gotten into a routine where I know approx how long I will have before I will have to go. If I have a banana for Breakfast and a salad for lunch I know I can make it through the day without needing to go to the bathroom until about 5 in the evening. If I eat foods I know could be dangerous I eat them after work and I know I will be up 2-3x throughout the night. I eat familiar foods so I don't have any surprises because when I don't I end up driving 70 mph home and praying I don't have an accident ! Both in and out of the car ;)