Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi guys,

I'm so scared and ashamed of myself. I was sleeved December 10 and here it is December 27 and I already cheated. I am not getting my Protein in (maybe 20 g a day) I hate the taste of my Protein Shakes already and I'm so tired of Soup and cottage cheese, grits and oatmeal. I ate 2 deviled eggs today ( chewed them to mush ) but I just felt like I had to have them. Now I am scared a piece will get stuck in my staple or something and I feel like a total failure. I can only eat about 3 oz at a time which I know is correct but I get hungry so fast, within an hour. I know some of it has to be head hunger, but I'm trying not to be a failure at this and just keep thinking if I failed my full liquid diet already, am I just setting myself up to fail at it all? I wasn't supposed to start puréed foods until 4 weeks which will be on January 7th. I lost 27 pounds the first 2 weeks but now I haven't lost anything for the last 4 days. Can anyone help with any advise? I'm not going to cheat again and am praying so hard I will be successful at this.

I'm going to be straight up with you on this, it's understandable that you're tired of your choices on liquids. But here's a fact. You worked hard to get this surgery. Why shoot yourself in the foot so early on? Being bored on liquids for a finite period of time is a drop in the bucket in the overall rest of your life. You're investing in your healthy future. That is worth sticking with the program when it gets, boring, inconvenient, or othewise a PITA. You're worth it. Act like it.

Nip that in the bud now. You need to follow your plan to the letter while you heal. Find another way to get potein in other than shakes. Dont set yourself up for failure or worse. You can do this.

Thanks you guys...you're totally right....I'm not straying off again...it's so hard because I am such a foodie. I need to reset myself right now and just keep telling myself there's no going back now (not that I'd want to) and tell myself I'm worth it.

Just relax ...you slipped a bit but now you know...can't do it...reset and start over.

i am surprise you didn't throw up if your going to cheat you better go walk every day until you lose at least 40 lbs once you lose the 40 now your ready to run burn more than you eat. I had the sleeve done in April 2015 today i am 80 lbs less i went from a size 18 to 10 or 12 depending the cut of the jeans i don't have the perfect diet but its not a diet its a change of eating i exercise every day i burn at least 400 to 500 calories a day i don't even eat that much i drink alot of Water don't like water put crystal light in it helps i eat alot of yogurt most Protein i find a health shop that makes Protein Drinks, still not good with solids my last meal is at 4pm i dont eat after 7pm why i am just laying around watching tv or going to sleep just to get up for work plus if i have too full of stomach i need to purge so too overeat is not worth the crappy feeling. lighten up relax .

The reason you feel so hungry after eating is not getting in your Protein. Protein is needed because it is essential to make sure your body has enough to maintain muscles and basic function (hair, nails, skin, muscles... all need lots of protein to function well). Protein makes you feel full and satisfied longer as well.

SO skipping your protein because you don't like the drinks is really bad - you risk losing muscle mass, your hair will start falling out faster, your skin and nails will look like crap and you will feel bad because losing muscle mass just makes you weaker. and you'll start feeling vunerable to eating crap again - it is a bad cycle to get caught in.. so stop doing that!

Find protein drinks that you can tolerate. Go buy a few different types at the grocery store, and check out the recommendations on these boards for others available online. You will find one that tastes okay eventually.

Most grocery stores carry a type of low lactose/sugar high protein milk. I am lucky to live where they have one that tastes wonderful - Mootopia (in TX HEB stores) - but there are others like Fairlife I think that are going to be great for a high protein low sugar drink. If you added some Protein powder to that, it probably could be just as good as a regular Protein Drink.

Start reading labels and find things at the store that could work out for you at each stage of your diet. Kroger makes a decent yogurt called Carbmaster that has only 60 calories and 4 grams of carbs, but 9 grams protein and they taste pretty good.

I know when I was finally cleared to eat things like eggs I still couldn't because I threw it up (and continued to throw them up until almost 4 months out). You don't want to rush things food-wise not only because you are trying to relearn how and what to eat, but because your stomach might not be ready for them either... you might not have had that happen yet, but believe me, I'd rather have waited and never experienced the egg intolerance! ;)

In the mean time, work on eating what you're supposed to be eating. Cheating is bound to happen and what you did isn't going to hurt your staples or stretch your stomach, but you have to realize that the only person you're cheating on is yourself. We all end up doing dumb things every once in a while, but don't dwell on them - just resign yourself to getting back on track and recommit to sticking to the program. Get psyched up - you are going to be happy and healthy and rock this sleeve!!!

Edited by FrankiesGirl

Well said...sip Isopure zero calories Protein drink....

Let your new stomach heal.

Follow the plan.

20g of Protein per day is gonna be a huge problem if you continue down that road.

Time to cowboy up and find acceptable Protein that you can tolerate and you need to push yourself to try different flavors.

Drop the "It's hard because I'm such a foodie" thought process, too.

Gotta break the cycle and change that relationship with food.

Go to You Tube and watch a video of actual sleeve surgery to remind yourself how brutalized your stomach is and how much you rally need to be kind to it. Yeah, all that Protein is required for a reason whether you like it or not. This won't be the first time you get bored with your diet. I am surprised that you did not throw up. Today is a new day so determine to start yourself out the right way. Be patient........the food stages are temporary. You sacrificed too much to cave in this early. Hugs from Chicago. Be strong. Carry on.

So you're bored with what you're allowed to have now? GOOD! You're well on your way to food no longer being such a focus of your life.

The Protein is what's going to help you with the "Head Hunger". Find something you do like, or make your own with powder Protein drinks. There's so many different kind. Have you tired. CHIKE! They have coffee, and the vanilla is so great, just add Water. I tried with almond milk but to be honest it taste great with Water. It's only for a couple of weeks, soon you'll be able to eat some solids. Keep busy, find some fun things to do and don't think about what you can't eat. Make Protein Drink your routine. You don't want to loss a lot of hair and your skin will do so much better with the Protein. Next Summer you'll be so happy you did! Take care, you can do this!

Can't wait to see your Before and After.

@@dansacha

Try to relax. Deviled eggs are not going to hurt your stomach. Just forget about it and get back on track today.

Best of luck!

thanks so much for all the sleevers who gave me encouragement and tips. i am sticking to it from here on out! it's funny how it helps to hear encouragement and suggestions. i know i did wrong, hence my post, so being straight forward and just reiterating how i suck doesn't help, but the encouragement does. i don't mind the reprimanding but maybe throwing in a suggestion at the end would be helpful. so thanks so much for the suggestions...im mixing a Protein drink i just went out and bought as we speak. :D

I doubt the deviled eggs are going to do much, if any, damage. Just move on and do what you're supposed to do

and I agree with others - the reason you're probably hungry is your Protein level is so low. Plus, you need that Protein to heal. If you hate the shakes you're having, find something else - *anything* to get that protein level up to where it needs to be (most of us are told 60+ grams per day). As someone else said, pick up some samples of different protein powders (because then you're not stuck with a huge tub of something you hate). I like unjury and Syntrax products because they don't have that awful protein aftertaste. Unjury products are only sold online - Syntrax you can get either online or in some stores (like Vitamin Shoppe). Both sell sample packets.

I'm a foodie as well, and after the first three months, I could go back to eating most of the things I ate before (although keep in mind I was a pretty healthy eater even before surgery), only much smaller portions, of course. It's really just the first couple of months that I found challenging because of all the restrictions. Hang in there! You can do this.....