Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Identification Card

FYI-On a previous post I stated I used my Patient Ident. card to be able to purchase child's portions at a buffet. Someone wanted to know more info about it.

My Dr. gave me mine. It came with the box that was given to me post surgery. The box contained the patient handbook with the serial number of my band and the Patient Identification Card. The card states that you have had the Lap Band to assist in weight loss, that it is MRI compatible, and that caution should be taken when prescribing ulcerogenic meds, and to use caution when performing any gastric or abdominal procedures. It also states that this person can only eat small portions at a time (half cup or 3-4 oz.) There is a place for my signature and the Dr's signature on the reverse. So far, I have found it quite handy. I don't expect to go to many buffets, but there are times when it cannot be avoided, so I'll be glad to have it. Restaurants are not required to honor it....but, hey, it's worth a try.

I understand there is a place you can download a copy of the card and I think it may be on the Inamed site. If not, it could be on the Obesityhelp.com site.

Hope this helps some of you.

Becki

Also,

I emailed Inamed and asked for a copy of the card because the one my surgeon gave me was in spanish. Don sent me 2 copies right away.

:)

I saw the downloadable version of the card they speak of on the Inamed/allergan website and was wondering if any of you carry this? Is it necessary? Is there a Med ID Bracelet available?

My doc gave me a "restaurant card"- just a lil type written card on cardstock paper saying I can't eat much and the name of the doc and stuff. If I'm planning to go to a buffet sometime I'm gonna call ahead and make sure the manager who is going to be there when I come will let me have the cheaper price- then I'll just ask to speak to the manager right as I go in and remind him that I spoke to him on the phone....I just want to avoid any awkward situations ya know? Just my idea.

My doctor will provide one if I want. I just haven't taken the time to pick it up when I have gone in for my fill. It might be a good idea. I doubt that anyone would ask for proof if you were to tell them you have had weight loss surgery, but then again, there would be that first time. I plan to ask for it when I go in next week.

There have been a few times that I have used mine. For instance, Ponderosa will honor it and give me a child's buffet. I just show them my card and tell them I have had weight loss surgery and I have no problem. However Ryan's will not honor it. Some are going to and some aren't. I figure if I have to pay full price, it will make up for all the times I ate lots at a buffet and paid the same price as someone eating a normal meal.

Denise, I bet if you mentioned the ADA to Ryan's they would give you the child's buffet rate. I was talking with my nurse cooridinator who also happens to have had weight loss surgery and she mentioned the American Disabilities Act and weight loss surgery does fall under that act. You might want to push it with them and see what they say. Wouldn't hurt to try. Best of luck

Denise, I bet if you mentioned the ADA to Ryan's they would give you the child's buffet rate. I was talking with my nurse cooridinator who also happens to have had weight loss surgery and she mentioned the American Disabilities Act and weight loss surgery does fall under that act. You might want to push it with them and see what they say. Wouldn't hurt to try. Best of luck

Hmm...never thought of that. We really don't go there very much but if we happen to again, I will see what they say to that. I was really surprised by the lady when I showed her my card and asked her about it. She said I was the second person to ask about it that day and that they didn't do that. It was her tone that got me more than anything. It was very judgemental. I just paid, piled on more food then I knew I could eat and left with two plates sitting on the table piled high. I figured I paid for it, I am entitled to waste it. Horrible attitude, I know but I couldn't resist. :devious