Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do I need to use this powder?

So I am having the sleeve on Jan 6th. All of the papers tell them I should use Bariatric Advantage Protein powder for the pre-op and post-op diets. The Dr's office sells it and I assume the get a kick back which is why they push it. However since that is like 45 mins away and I have a GNC like 5 mins away, I was going to get the Isopure Low Carb Protein Powder. It has less sugar and more Protein than the BA anyways.

So, am I missing something, or should I be fine with the Isopure?

Thanks!

Jim

Hi Jim,

My surgeon sells the Bariatric Advantage, too and he highly recommends it however gives other options also.

EAS Myoplex Lite Card Control

GNC Total Lean shake 25

Isopure Protein Meal Replacement powder

powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein Powder

Chike Protein Powder

I prefer Syntrax nectar protein powder and Egg White protein powder. My surgeon is aware of what I'm using and didn't seem to have a problem with it. I had a tough time finding one I could tolerate....tried many...spent a fortune. I'm sure you're probably not tied to one brand. Talk to the NUT or dietitian.

To me also Isopure is gross. My favorite brand is Syntrax Nectar, no carb, no sugar and low calorie. I am sure they are pushing the bariatric one as they sell it and of course make money from that. Many of us here are using all different kinds and doing well. Once you find one you like stick with it.

Thank you. I will definitely talk to them. That's the other reason I was favoring GNC. They will take back and refund even if the product is opened if I don't like it.

The main objective is to find a Protein powder that you can tolerate after surgery and one that is low in sugar. You may become lactose intolerant after surgery, if so, having a Protein powder that is lactose free may come into play.

My doctor gave me specs on what my Protein powder should look like - she didn't give me a specific brand, but suggested unjury. As it turned out, after trying many different samples, I found Unjury tasted better to me. I also like some of the nectar flavors. I would ask your doc if it's OK to stray from the brand they are suggesting. I always defer to what the doc/nut says.

My options pre-op were:

1) 4 1/2 cans of "High protein" Slim Fast

OR

5 1/2 packets of "No Sugar Added" Carnation Instant Breakfast Drink

mixed with fat free or 1% milk

OR

5 individual cartons of Atkins Advantage daily

OR

4 1/2 bottles of "Glucose Controlled" Boost daily

Post-op I had more liberty to choose what I could tolerate.

I had to order the Boost on-line because I could not find it in a store anywhere.

Since I had to do the liquids for ten days, I bought some of each kind for a variety.

My nut likes what I do, which is 1/2 whey powder and 1/2 no fat powdered milk. it is not slimey, not sweet, but has 24 g of Protein per serving, and is pretty thrifty...

My doctor's office did not specify a particular brand of Protein , they just said to make sure it was whey Protein isolate. I bought a variety of single serving packets and ended up buying powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chocolate Splendor based upon the flavor.

Brilliant