Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

....a virus something or a VSG something?

Hello everyone!

I am 14 weeks post-op. I was "hanging" in there pretty good--- drinking about 60 oz of Water a day, and I was up to 75 grams of Protein on most days. Then, last weekend my guts starting bothering me! After eating, my intestines were making so much noise... gas, liquid, who knows what else! I felt like I should have had EXPLOSIVE diarrhea, but I didn't. I have felt so uncomfortable I am now behind on my Water and Protein intake. This ofcourse has led to very low energy.

I worked all week trying to find a pattern. Does it happen more with some foods than others?... I can't find a pattern!

Just to be extra cautious I gave up the dairy from my cottage cheese, and my 1 cup of coffee every day. However, my bowels are STILL talking to me. I havn't felt sick....like the flu or a cold. No one in my house has been sick either. I called my surgeon and talked to his nurse and she just told me to stay hydrated...

Who can help me with this very noisy, and a uncomfortable phenomenon?

I hope to figure something out soon so I can get back to my good nutrition and energy levels.

I definitely became more sensitive to dairy. I use a low lactate milk now, but it still kicks in the bowel movements when I drink it. ;)

Might be more aware of how fast you eat as well, as ingesting too much air can cause some gas/gurgling. Could also try taking a mild antacid and see if that makes any difference.

But if it's just lots of noise and no discomfort... I think that's perfectly normal. The gurgles and squeaks and other embarrassing stomach/intestine noises are sort of common after surgery.

Do you take a PPI or acid blocker? Your situation may have nothing to do with stomach acid, but.... I get mild heartburn and if don't take my Omeprazole my stomach gurgles, rumbles, and foods and liquids make me a tiny bit nauseous. If you take some Tums or Rolaids and it relieves that feeling that may be the cause.

Thank you! ....yes I do already take pantoprazole every day.

I am curious...why would the gurgles kick in so far post-op?

Sugar alcohols (check your Protein drinks' and Protein bars' labels) can and do sometimes cause explosive diarrhea. They sometimes do that for me. But not always.

Any chance you've eaten at Chipotle's lately? ;)

Seriously, this could be related to your post-op diet -- or it could just be a food bug you picked up somewhere.

And, of course, do hydrate yourself a lot.

BTW, you're not going to die if you just drink Water for 24 hours and lay off all foods. Could be worth a science experiment.