Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cancelling Lap band

Hi well I am going to cancel my band surgery. Now the bariatric center wants 3500.00 up front before surgery and why is beyond me because my insurance company will be covering the entire bill. I spoke with thme this morning they said that is why I got a prior approval from them and that the Dr, the hospital etc they are all in my network I am just waiting on the bariatric center to call me so I can verify everything with them, but I am not rich and I cannot begin to save it would take me a long time to come across with that money everything I did is down the tubes for me and it is not fair, they need to tell you this long before you start doign everythning to get approved. oh well another kick in the teeth for this one I guess.

Hi Sharon I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. But if your insurance is covering 100 percent of the surgery why do they want money from you up front? Maybe I misunderstood something. Dont panic yet talk with them first.

Good luck!

Valerie

Sharon, don't give up. Are there other lapband doctors/facilities in your area? If your insurance is already approved maybe another facility has a different policy.

I don't understand either. If your surgeon and the facility are both in the network, that means they have a contract with the insurer. They are not supposed to be billing you or asking for money up front.

Something is wrong here, someone is not telling you the truth. What's going on?

I also had to give my Dr $3500. up front. And my insurance also covered the lap band. We took out a loan against my husbands 401K for this. My Dr gives us a card with his nurses# and his pager# for 24 hour around the clock care. I have used it a lot since banding so it was worth it to me. That is the only thing I can think of for the extra money. Not that I think it is right. If insurance is already paying them why should we have to? I hope it works out for you. What Dr are you supposed to be going through?

Is the $3500 part of the surgical fee, or is it one of those BS "program" fees? If so, then no, that is NEVER covered by insurance. And that's why I didn't choose two of the three providers my ins co paid for me to go to.

I think it is WRONG on sooooo many levels for these bariatric surgeons to charge "program" fees and "mandatory support group" fees. I never had to pay a "program" fee to my cardiologist and I certainly have called or seen their staff a damn site more that I will likely ever see my surgeon's staff.

I had to pay $500 for the 'program fee'. It was a kick in the teeth since it was ALL self-pay for me.. and they are 3 hours away and I've never been to and never would go to the support groups. They're all RNY anyway.. But I digress.. that sucks Sharon :(

Wow talk about a rollercoster ride I have had since last Friday. Well this is what I was told by the bariatric Center, now there is the center then there is the billing center yep confusing to me too! well any I was told that the Dr. hospital etc are In-Plan crontractors sort to speak, and yes the insurance company will cover the entire thing except for my co- payment of 40.00:clap2:which I knew all along but there are some insurance providers that do not cover this up front fee but mine does and I was resurred that firstcare has covered all other bariatric surgerys 100% that thre was never a problem of getting them to pay anything as long as it is in plan and well it is but I am playing the waqiting game for the bariatric Group to call me bank and confirm everything and I will ask to get it wither in writing or by e-mail to place in my file.

Thanks everyone for your comments it did help me. I seen my employer today to tell him of my up coming surgery adneverything pertaining to it and it went real well, he said no problem and get this is daugther had her lap band done and lost 85 pounds in a year and they forund her sweet spot right from the get go and only had to have one fill lucky gal she was.

I'm so proud your getting everything worked out. I had surgery one year ago this month and have lost around 80 pounds. I too found my sweet spot but it took 5 fills. You will do great and this time next year you will wonder what you even worried about. Keep your chin up and I hope everything goes your way now.

Good luck,

Sherri Jo

Hi BeachGirl

Just got my call and well everything is going to be just fine everything is covered the only thing I will have to cover will be my co payments for the office visits and that will be just 40.00 each visit and the fills are covered for one year then after that there will be a fee but I am sure that my sweet spot will be found real quick for I ahve been trying and workign on it for sometime. Thanx Sharon

Congrats!!!! I know you are super excited now! I'm so glad things worked out for you. That is so wonderful!

P.S.--Yeah, I'm a little ticked about those 'program fees', too. I just had to shell out $500 to pay for that. I wasn't too happy. But what are ya gonna do?

Sharon2u

I don't quite understand, they want you to pay and your insurance is paying completely for the surgery? Have you called your insurance company to complain? Maybe they can help. Please don't give up! CAn you talk with your Dr? or his staff? What about the hosptial administrator! Fight girl for what is important to you!