Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please analyze my stall

Hello, everyone. This is my first post. I'm aware that stalls occur, however, I am just starting my seventh week after gastric bypass surgery on October 20, 2015. Two weeks after my surgery I stalled at 352 pounds. It took me two weeks to lose down to 348, and today when I got on the scale I weigh 351. So basically for the last month what little I've lost i've gained right back. I've been monitoring my food intake and I have not eaten more than 800 cal each day. I've gotten in most of my Protein but not close to all of my Water. Could you please analyze what's going on here? I started my liquid diet pre-op on October 8 at 385 pounds and I was 372 pounds on my surgery date if that helps. Thank you for your time.

As many will tell you hang in there you are doing great. With such a quick weight loss your body is adjusting. I too lose weight and then gain a little. I know it is frustrating but I have kind of gotten used to it. The last couple of days I upped my cardio by only 10 minutes and this morning lost 1.5 pounds! It could be a coincidence but who knows. As long as you are eating right/water and Vitamins the weight will come off! sleep is important too so make sure you are getting enough.

I also eat a little more some days to see if this may jolt my system; they say this shakes up your metabolism.

Congrats on your weight loss you can and will do it!!

@@Madamoisele

I am a little surprised that you have been able to eat up to 800 calories so fast after surgery. Usually the restriction is so tight that to get in 2 to 3 ounces of food is not easy.

It might help if we understood what you are eating and drinking and how often. Are you eating 3 meals a day with no snacking in between?

If you could provide a little bit more info, we would be happy to help.

Stalls do happen but really analyzing your intake would help us help you.

Hang in there!

Thank you for the responses and encouragement. For some reason, I have zero tolerance for artificial sweeteners right now so I haven't been drinking the protien shakes. Instead I've been eating beef Jerky to get in my protien. I've been good about no drinks other than Water. Veggies give me terrible gas but I've been able to eat fruit without issue. I also eat lean grilled steak, hamburger, turkey burger, chicken, etc.

I know some of it is probably Water weight but if I'm screwing something up I want to fix it as soon as possible.

I drink only water, maybe 4-6 glasses a day. That's all I can force down. I haven't been terribly active but I do go to the gym at least three times a week for about 30 minutes. Walking and some strength machines. I have a knee trying to go out on me so I'm babying it.

You are only getting 4-6 cups of Water and no mention of Protein. You may not be eating enough and are not drinking enough fluids. It is hard to tell with the information you posted. Are you tracking your food? Weighing and measuring everything?

Are you following your plan?

Are you getting in ALL of your Protein and fluids every day?

Are you taking your Vitamins and supplements as directed?

Are you exercising?

Have you talked to your NUT?

Stalls are a normal, necessary, and natural part of the process of losing weight. If you are following your program, you should be fine. If you aren't following your program, then I encourage you to make an appointment with your NUT.

Embrace the Stall!

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

According to my RNY post op directions, it reads "To maximize weight loss the following foods should be avoided" and one of these foods is BEEF Jerky. So I would recommend that you get off the jerky and find a Protein supplement (Protein shake or Protein powder) that you can tolerate. There are several varieties out there and if you want to maximize the weight loss, you need to experiment and find one you can tolerate. Whatever protein supplement you take it should be very low on sugar.

I think you are around 7 weeks post op and that means that you are still in the pureed food stage. Jerky is not pureed food. It is still too hard for you stomach. And you are limited to 2 ounces per meal. By going the jerky route, you are nibbling (snacking) all day. Soon you will be out of the pureed stage. I would recommend that you consume high protein chili and Soups for your meals. I have included a couple recipes at the end of the following article. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

Sorry to add more because I feel like you are taking a pounding from everyone. My surgeon has repeatedly told me to limit my fruit intake because it naturally has a lot of sugar and carbs. Sticking to veggies (yes they create gas, but are healthier) and Protein is the plan. I still after 7 months have a hard time eating tougher meats like steak and chicken breast. In my soft food stage there were a lot of boiled egg whites, oatmeal (I made it thinner) and ground turkey. I really have limited Protein Shakes because I can get it in my food. Fish is really healthy and has some great nutrients. Water is key! I know when I drink my water the weight is flying off of me, but when I'm kind of drinking it just sort of comes off a few ounces at a time. I focus on protein intake and watch sodium and sugar. I have my list of safe foods and go from there. Adjust different things like water, or calories and see what works for you. I can sit here all day and tell you what works for me. I know for some a 900 calorie diet works and others it's 800. So just play with it. Maybe you need more exercise or water. You are doing great, don't give up now!

How very frustrating! Don't let it get to you. Don't give up!

How much Protein per day are you getting? I would say that could definitely be part of the problem if you aren't getting enough.

Also, I do eat beef Jerky but try not to do so everyday. If you are eating it pretty often, it could be the salt in it that is hurting you a bit. Of course, I eat a lot of cheese too to get my Protein in and many here believe that is a bad choice too due to the fat. I think you will eventually find the combination that works for you!

Thank you everyone for your input and concern. I did a 45 minute walk last night and was back down to 348 this morning. I know I'm not getting in 8 glasses of Water each day but I'm getting 60-70g of protien at a minimum. I'm not having any problems eating meat, avoiding breads/pastas, and am carefully watching my calories. No sodas or sugary drinks either. I'm getting an average of 5-6 glasses of Water in, that's about all I can force down at the moment.

Hopefully the key is increasing exercise! I know this stall topic is worn to death, but it truly is a comfort to have responses anyway.

The last thing I would say is are you truly tracking and measuring your food?

You would be surprised at how telling this one habit truly is. You may thing you are getting the right nutrients but only a tracker like myfitnesspal really calculates all of this for you.

In the beginning weighing and measuring your food and Water is critical. Track everything good or bad so you know your Protein, Water, car and fat count for every day.

I will say I am very very surprised that you can eat jerkey at 7 weeks post op. That is sometimes ok for a small snack but to eat that as a main source of Protein is not good. Too much salt which will cause you to retain water.

1 percent cottage cheese is a much better option for good protein if you cannot find a shake that works for you. It also keeps you fuller longer. You must focus on protein and water and know exactly what you are really getting in.

Exercise is likely not the culprit although it is helpful. I know that I have been restricted from exercise since April yet my weight keeps coming off.

The most i can do is some walking but having had 2 back surgeries since June, my back don't allow a lot of it.

I would recommend getting some flavor enhancers for you Water or cut some lemons and put in your water to help increase your liquids. Decaf tea is another option but that 64oz of Fluid is super important! Also like some have said Jerky at this stage is definitely not going to be productive and you should limit your fruit and veg until you've reached your minimum Protein requirement. Also very important this early on to track and actually measure everything you eat because portion distortion is real and you need to stay at 2oz per meal 3x a day. My advice on Protein Shakes is to keep trying different kinds and flavors. I am lactose intolerant post op so I have had a time finding something I can tolerate, but Syntrax Nectars work well and aren't heavy or sickening chocolate or vanilla concrete like most of them. I buy syntrax Twisted cherry and have 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening before bed.

Thank you - haven't heard of the Syntrax but I did recently break down and buy some flavorings for my Water and it has significantly helped my intake. I'm not a fan of aspartame but at this point, it's the lesser of the evils.

Thank you - haven't heard of the Syntrax but I did recently break down and buy some flavorings for my Water and it has significantly helped my intake. I'm not a fan of aspartame but at this point, it's the lesser of the evils.

you can get some flavor enhancers that Don't have aspartame. They are harder to find, but I found a couple that have a blend of Splenda and stevia.