Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kinda blew it tonight :- O

I am full right now, but Not stuffed.

I ate some mushy/soft foods today... and too much at supper.

how is this supposed to hurt us??? I was supposed to be full liquids for 2 more days, but I just couldn't hold out.

argh :cry

Peaches, I saw your other post, wasn't one of the things you ate pretzels?

Anyway, I posted this on a couple of other threads and I'll post it here. I't a bit of a rant, but it also explains why we need to go slow in our food stages:

I do understand your desire to chew something, I really do, but... Just because something goes down okay doesn't mean it isn't setting us up for damage later. ANY solid food is just that, food and could be "major." The sutures are helping scar tissue form around the band and that's what holds it in place on our stomachs. The sutures only help hold it on the front, scar tissue is all that holds it on the back of the stomach. Everytime we eat something more than a liquid, (and no, chewing something until it's liquid does not count) it causes our stomachs (which are muscular) to churn and undulate to digest that food. That churning stops the scar tissue from forming, or helps break new scar tissue just barely formed. Liquid requires little stomach movement to process. When we start to chew something, that lets our digestive system know that food is coming down, fluids begin to be secreted to aid in digestion and the stomach starts moving in preparation to start the breakdown of food.

I understand that some doctors move folks along faster in their diet programs, that's okay if it's what your doctor says to do, but Allergan (the manufacturer of the band) advises a very slow progression.

Damage we do now freshly banded may not show up until a year or two down the line. Maybe we have a bad episode of vomiting and because we just couldn't wait to chew, we didn't get good adhesion of scar tissue early on, it may slip.

Most everyone here says that we should always follow our own doctor's advice. My doc's practice is a slow one, 4-6 weeks for solids as well. The Allergan website (the folks who MAKE the LapBand) says this about food stages:

Post-Surgery Nutrition

After surgery, you will need a new nutrition plan. Your surgeon

and/or dietitian can help you learn about and get used to the changes in lifestyle and eating habits you need to make. It is very important to follow the eating and drinking instructions beginning immediately after the operation.

In the first few weeks after your surgery, you will be on a liquid diet since only thin liquids will be tolerated by your stomach at that time. As you heal, you will gradually progress to pureed foods (three to four weeks post-op) and then soft foods (five weeks post-op). Finally, you will be able to eat solid foods.

Granted perhaps there is new research that says prolonged periods on liquid diets are not necessary and the Allergan site just hasn't been updated yet. However, I would want to know WHY a surgeon and nut (nutritionist) would make such drastic changes to their post-op eating plans. I would also ask that surgeon about what her/his complication rate is and more specifically what their SLIP rates are. Are they making these changes because of the AP band and the selling point that it's less likely to slip because of it's width? Is there a study they can show me to support the move so soon to soft foods? Has surgical technique changed and is there a way now to access the back of the stomach (not previously accessed because of it's proximity to the spinal nerves) and suture the band (I haven't heard of it)?

At least that's what the band folks have said for years that is how it all happens. That's how I was always taught that digestion works. Perhaps someone somewhere has done a new study and what we've always believed is actually not right. It's possible.

Do you see now why I'm hesitant to eat early?

Of course, if somoene can show me concrete good data (not just a study with a sample of a few patients) that our previous held beliefs are wirng, then I'll be happy to change my thought process.

Think about this, it is only 4 to 6 weeks out of your LIFE. Is that really that awful? Are we so far gone that we can't make a committment to something for a month to then have it help us in the long run?

You can do this!!!! We can do this!!!!

Faith, thanks for the detailed explanation about the stages. That is really good information to have. I am always impressed by your posts. You're so knowledgeable and helpful to everyone. I'll be banded on August 2 and you are the one I'll be looking for to answer my questions. Thanks again for the good advice.

Anyway, I posted this on a couple of other threads and I'll post it here. I't a bit of a rant, but it also explains why we need to go slow in our food stages:

I do understand your desire to chew something, I really do, but... Just because something goes down okay doesn't mean it isn't setting us up for damage later. ANY solid food is just that, food and could be "major." The sutures are helping scar tissue form around the band and that's what holds it in place on our stomachs. The sutures only help hold it on the front, scar tissue is all that holds it on the back of the stomach. Everytime we eat something more than a liquid, (and no, chewing something until it's liquid does not count) it causes our stomachs (which are muscular) to churn and undulate to digest that food. That churning stops the scar tissue from forming, or helps break new scar tissue just barely formed. Liquid requires little stomach movement to process. When we start to chew something, that lets our digestive system know that food is coming down, fluids begin to be secreted to aid in digestion and the stomach starts moving in preparation to start the breakdown of food.

I understand that some doctors move folks along faster in their diet programs, that's okay if it's what your doctor says to do, but Allergan (the manufacturer of the band) advises a very slow progression.

Damage we do now freshly banded may not show up until a year or two down the line. Maybe we have a bad episode of vomiting and because we just couldn't wait to chew, we didn't get good adhesion of scar tissue early on, it may slip.

Most everyone here says that we should always follow our own doctor's advice. My doc's practice is a slow one, 4-6 weeks for solids as well. The Allergan website (the folks who MAKE the LapBand) says this about food stages:

Post-Surgery Nutrition

and/or dietitian can help you learn about and get used to the changes in lifestyle and eating habits you need to make. It is very important to follow the eating and drinking instructions beginning immediately after the operation.

In the first few weeks after your surgery, you will be on a liquid diet since only thin liquids will be tolerated by your stomach at that time. As you heal, you will gradually progress to pureed foods (three to four weeks post-op) and then soft foods (five weeks post-op). Finally, you will be able to eat solid foods.

Granted perhaps there is new research that says prolonged periods on liquid diets are not necessary and the Allergan site just hasn't been updated yet. However, I would want to know WHY a surgeon and nut (nutritionist) would make such drastic changes to their post-op eating plans. I would also ask that surgeon about what her/his complication rate is and more specifically what their SLIP rates are. Are they making these changes because of the AP band and the selling point that it's less likely to slip because of it's width? Is there a study they can show me to support the move so soon to soft foods? Has surgical technique changed and is there a way now to access the back of the stomach (not previously accessed because of it's proximity to the spinal nerves) and suture the band (I haven't heard of it)?

At least that's what the band folks have said for years that is how it all happens. That's how I was always taught that digestion works. Perhaps someone somewhere has done a new study and what we've always believed is actually not right. It's possible.

Of course, if somoene can show me concrete good data (not just a study with a sample of a few patients) that our previous held beliefs are wirng, then I'll be happy to change my thought process.

Think about this, it is only 4 to 6 weeks out of your LIFE. Is that really that awful? Are we so far gone that we can't make a committment to something for a month to then have it help us in the long run?

Wow - thanks SO much - I am not banded yet, but very greatful to have read this! Makes sense!!

Faith,

I agree with TexasBecky you always have good information. I enjoy and learn from your posts.

Thanks,

JP

Peaches, I hear you, because I'm in the same boat. I also was banded on 11 July - 12 days ago. We've both lost a similar amount of weight, which is fantastic - we're off to a great start.

I was at a golf tournament today (I specifically got my doctor's OK to play on this date) and I had some solid food because I was out of the house all day and didn't have an opportunity for anything liquid. Don't feel guilty, just move on. Only two more days of liquid diet (and excellent weight loss that accompanies it) then we can start in on mushies. Take a look through the recipe thread - there's some good stuff in there.

Post-Surgery Nutrition

Dear Faith knowing how helpful your information is I would like to ask, I've been banded almost 4 months ago but have a lot ot trouble avoiding the drinks with my food, I CAN'T! I CAN'T! I try to many time but I can not eat and wait for an hour to drink my Water... Im afraid of what can happen to my band (slip, stretch my pounch) or my stomach. do you have any information about it? :help:

Thanks and stay bless

Sofia: The point of not drinking with the band (according to my doc, as we all know, everyone is different) is because it mushes your food down and you lose the sense of fullness that you had when you ate. It'll push it through your pouch faster and empty out your stomach. I'm not sure that it's a worry of stretching your pouch or slipping the band as it is more for the concern of sabatoging your weight loss.

Drinking with or directly following meals was discouraged to me, fr exactly the reason pointed out by FarmerE. In my own experience, if I try to drink it often times will "float" my food and cause me to feel suddenly TOO FULL, which in turn begins the sliming, and the feel of an oncoming PB. So far I have avoided the problem, by following the bandster rules, and not drinking. Due to some reflux problems, my Dr. suggested flushing my pouch at night, and that is when I found out that this happens.

For the most part, I think like Farmer said, it just thwarts the weight loss, by possibly allowing you to feel hungry again much sooner.

I personally have also found through the years, with all my dieting attempts, band included, that if I allow myself to "cheat"....I will continue to give myself that leeway. Do your best to let your body fully heal, and move forward slowly. If you push too fast, and cause swelling in the stomach, it often develops into an evil cycle of swelling...where you eat, PB, swell, eat, PB, swell. It is a hard cycle to break. One better not to get started. Remember if you do eat, and it causes any pain, go back to liquids for awhile, and allow the swelling to go down. Some people have no problem making the change over to solids, others find it a difficult switch, both in the discomfort and in possible weight regain. Keep in mind this is time to heal, when you can get started on the fill process, you will relose any weight you found again.

Hang in there, the worst is almost all behind you now~!

Kat

What is PB and Sliming mean? I've seen this but not sure what it means exactly - don't worry about grossing me out - I want to know :)

What is PB and Sliming mean? I've seen this but not sure what it means exactly - don't worry about grossing me out - I want to know ;)

Welcome, take a look around here, there's loads of good info, one great place to start reading is the FAQ and Reference foum, there's a great thread there about abbreviations and what they mean. Here's a few good threads about PB and Slime:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f76/what-sliming-29072/

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f73/pbs-sliming-17625/

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f17/sliming-pb-28870/

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f17/newbie-question-what-pb-sliming-18946/

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f17/what-slime-ing-ad-pb-ing-38160/

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f17/pbs-slime-inevitable-19383/

Just a quick run down for you---from my own personal experience. Sliming is the bodies way of trying to help something pass through the narrowed area where the band is placed, either from swallowing a too big bite, or simply overeating and being too full. The body tries to help by slicking things up, and you begin to produce copius amounts of slime, which is thick gooey saliva. Well since often the problem is you are already too full, there is nowhere for all of this to go, and there is usually a lot of it, so spitting it out is usually the only way to avoid a full blown PB.

A PB is short for Productive Burp. Kind of misnamed in my opinion! It is a bandsters form of throwing up in a way. The biggeat difference is that a PB is comprised of chewed food and the slime, no stomach acids, it is usually a few heaves of food, and it is over---nothing real violent like true vomiting can be, but in my experience it is more than a mere burp! I have done this twice in 15 months.

Hope this and the links Faith supplied you with help!

Kat

I am full right now, but Not stuffed.

I ate some mushy/soft foods today... and too much at supper.

how is this supposed to hurt us??? I was supposed to be full liquids for 2 more days, but I just couldn't hold out.

argh :cry

I was banded on the 11th also. I don't start mushies until Sat. I'm still trying to figure the difference between now and then. My doc said anything in a blender, yogurt, puddings ok this week. Except for cottage cheese and eggs I can't think of anything else that would be a mushy that I don't eat now. How many times a day are you eating? How was your surgery? I've felt great since day 5.

Thanks faith for your willingness to share your understanding. I have been sticking with the softs, but I know my bites are to big and I swallow things that I haven't chewed properly. I am getting better. I was wondering what I might be doing to myself, as things for the most part seem to go down o.k.

Thanks.